Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 8:52 pm

I agree having AS does not give anyone the right to commit such evil acts.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2012, 9:58 pm

If he is guilty, and if the crime is serious enough, deport him even if he does have AS.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 10:21 pm

The objection, I believe, is that [and it may be the 10:20 PM talking but I believe I read this] he has not actually been charged but he's been detained, the US is vaguely claiming that he supported terrorists.

And considering he has an Arab sounding name, he probably posted his name on a website while talking briefly about something in a way that the US doesn't like.

@Aladdin: I don't think you've noticed, but Right Wing Conservatives are pretty racist. [Their attacks on Obama were more or less: 'He wasn't born in the USA!' and 'He's Muslim!']

Basically, if they're in the USA, and they're in office, they're probably an extremist.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:54 am

LennytheWicked wrote:
The objection, I believe, is that [and it may be the 10:20 PM talking but I believe I read this] he has not actually been charged but he's been detained, the US is vaguely claiming that he supported terrorists.

And considering he has an Arab sounding name, he probably posted his name on a website while talking briefly about something in a way that the US doesn't like.

@Aladdin: I don't think you've noticed, but Right Wing Conservatives are pretty racist. [Their attacks on Obama were more or less: 'He wasn't born in the USA!' and 'He's Muslim!']

Basically, if they're in the USA, and they're in office, they're probably an extremist.

Well, they have the right to do that now. They signed it into law that they can detain terrorist suspects without charging them. That's what they want to do to him. I disagree with it, unless it's a case of imminent danger to the USA or citizens abroad, or really to anybody citizen or not, but I don't suppose they can word it like that and be clear. Being clear isn't a strong point with our government.

I think that if the OP is against doing that to anyone, then they should be trying to get petitions signed, organizing protests, etc for everyone that they are doing it to or planning to do it to, not singling out someone because they have AS. It's no different being a terrorist with AS than being a terrorist without AS.

Well, except the terrorist with AS would probably not be as convincing on the threatening videos. But hey, there's tradeoffs I'm sure.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:42 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Well, they have the right to do that now. They signed it into law that they can detain terrorist suspects without charging them. That's what they want to do to him. I disagree with it, unless it's a case of imminent danger to the USA or citizens abroad, or really to anybody citizen or not, but I don't suppose they can word it like that and be clear. Being clear isn't a strong point with our government.

I think that if the OP is against doing that to anyone, then they should be trying to get petitions signed, organizing protests, etc for everyone that they are doing it to or planning to do it to, not singling out someone because they have AS. It's no different being a terrorist with AS than being a terrorist without AS.

Well, except the terrorist with AS would probably not be as convincing on the threatening videos. But hey, there's tradeoffs I'm sure.

This "case" began before the law was put into action, and there was actually a treaty that would allow the USA to arrest citizens abroad [IE, in Europe]. I've read some interviews from the brother who described what happened a little more eloquently when Ahsan was arrested, but I'm having trouble finding information about the videos, IE a transcript. According to the brother he said something anti-US-war-on-terror, which is exactly the kind of thing people here get pissed about--especially if an Arab guy says it.

EDIT: The not-charges are something to the effect of emailing Taliban members and having classified navy documents, except they don't seem to have any real evidence on either not-charge, which is probably why they haven't actually charged him. Apparently they took stuff like playstation memory cards and his brother's diary. Furthermore, it is probably important for him to be tried in his own country just in so he'll more likely get a jury who doesn't hear the name "Syed Tahla Ahsan" and assume the worst.

Also, Freetahla has malware if Avast is to be trusted. There are different sites, OP, I suggest you link them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:38 am

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over the fact that someone is Muslim. Most Muslims are not terrorists. There are Muslim terrorists and they are the ones in the news. You don't ever see a breaking news story that says "Muslim insurance salesman pays off his mortgage in time for his retirement!" or "Muslim girl elected to her high school's Homecoming Court" or normal stuff like that. Or even "Muslim single mother manages to scrape together her power bill payment on the last day. Her power will be on for another month."

Shortly after 9/11 I was seeing a psychiatrist for my usual depression. I had insurance then. Yay insurance! But, he was from Afghanistan originally and had been here over 20 some odd years by then. I asked him what he thought about the whole thing. He said "They should turn it into a parking lot! Bomb it into oblivion!" He went on to say that the people there were so miserable and their lives were so unhappy because of the government and poverty that they have no chance at a decent life. He said that if he hadn't been able to get out and take his family that he probably would have killed himself by now. Even being a doctor didn't make his life any better. He is a Muslim and devout. He is certainly not like the terrorists.

I've known several Muslims and they are just normal people, like Baptists, Jews, Hindu's Athiests, etc. Yes, the Muslim terrorists are all over the news, but that's because they are doing that stuff. They are the minority I would think. They are just way more vocal than the everyday people.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2012, 7:04 am

British? What the HELL is "British" about this scrounging parasite?
I pay a fortune in taxes to keep thousands of others just like him in free housing and hand outs for life.

If I had my way they would send the other 3 million "British" muslims with him.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 May 2012, 8:07 am

piroflip wrote:
He was born here. Last time I checked the law deemed that sufficient cause.
Meanwhile, I assume you find the idea of someone being held for five years without charge acceptable?

Quote:
I pay a fortune in taxes to keep thousands of others just like him in free housing and hand outs for life.

:roll: Are you practicing your stand-up comedy bigot routine again?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:42 am

Cornflake wrote:
piroflip wrote:
He was born here. Last time I checked the law deemed that sufficient cause.
Meanwhile, I assume you find the idea of someone being held for five years without charge acceptable?

Quote:

:roll: Are you practicing your stand-up comedy bigot routine again?
here is the thing he is a prisoner of war and should not be held by civilian authorities in the first place.i have no problem with muslims living in the u.s.a or u.k.however it wasnt britain that attacked the u.s it was al qaida.so when the war is over return him to a muslim country that will accept former al qaida members free of charges or wrong doing.i know the Hague has the right to try people for war crimes and yes that is true.however this guy is not hitler,milosovic,eichman,sacich or himler.he acts in war hardly rise to genicide or war crimes

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 May 2012, 8:59 am

He has not been charged with any crime for five years, yet he is imprisoned still.
If there is sufficient evidence then he should be charged and subjected to legal process.
If there is not, he should be set free - and if he is set free, he should be free to return to the country of his birth and resume his life unimpeded.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:23 am

@cornflake.if he is not part of an organization that is at war with the U.S or U.K i whole heartedly agree.i was just saying that if he is an enemy combatent he should not be held in civilian custody

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 May 2012, 9:38 am

After five whole years without charges being brought, I don't think he should be imprisoned at all.

Imprisoned for five years after being charged but not yet brought to trial is pretty shabby and bad enough - but five years and no charges at all?
It doesn't really say very much for the strength of any case against him, does it?

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:46 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over the fact that someone is Muslim. Most Muslims are not terrorists. There are Muslim terrorists and they are the ones in the news. You don't ever see a breaking news story that says "Muslim insurance salesman pays off his mortgage in time for his retirement!" or "Muslim girl elected to her high school's Homecoming Court" or normal stuff like that. Or even "Muslim single mother manages to scrape together her power bill payment on the last day. Her power will be on for another month."

Shortly after 9/11 I was seeing a psychiatrist for my usual depression. I had insurance then. Yay insurance! But, he was from Afghanistan originally and had been here over 20 some odd years by then. I asked him what he thought about the whole thing. He said "They should turn it into a parking lot! Bomb it into oblivion!" He went on to say that the people there were so miserable and their lives were so unhappy because of the government and poverty that they have no chance at a decent life. He said that if he hadn't been able to get out and take his family that he probably would have killed himself by now. Even being a doctor didn't make his life any better. He is a Muslim and devout. He is certainly not like the terrorists.

I've known several Muslims and they are just normal people, like Baptists, Jews, Hindu's Athiests, etc. Yes, the Muslim terrorists are all over the news, but that's because they are doing that stuff. They are the minority I would think. They are just way more vocal than the everyday people.

I agree with you; but people can be very quick to judge and speculate. Because they've heard that there are extremist Muslims [who make life hell for the moderate Muslims who share the region] a lot of people will assume that, "Well, he's Arab, he's Muslim, he's probably a terrorist." Most people are not this sensible. Secondly, moving him to America for a trial means he could very well wind up with a case like the one in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I go to a school where a third of the students are Muslim and I am fully aware that stereotypes are not always true [for example, not all of the girls wear shawls and boys mostly shave] and most of them are not hateful towards other ethnicities or nationalities [for example, Pakistani students don't typically bully Indian students for being Indian] except one guy, but that one guy is just an as*hole in general which invalidates him as an example.

Apparently the entire region is really screwed up. We had some neighbors a little while ago who were from Egypt. However, before they immigrated to the USA, they moved to Israel where they stayed with some of their cousins who lived there. According to the mother, they all preferred it in Israel, despite Israel being a warzone apparently filled with racism from every side. [They weren't particularly racist as far as I know; I know that they were very disturbed by us keeping two dogs but maybe that's just because the one jumped the fence into their yard a few times.] What I gathered from that [they liked it better in Israel] is that the rest of the Middle East must really freaking suck.

That, or some antizionists are exaggerating.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 3:26 am

LennytheWicked wrote:
Apparently the entire region is really screwed up. We had some neighbors a little while ago who were from Egypt. However, before they immigrated to the USA, they moved to Israel where they stayed with some of their cousins who lived there. According to the mother, they all preferred it in Israel, despite Israel being a warzone apparently filled with racism from every side. [They weren't particularly racist as far as I know; I know that they were very disturbed by us keeping two dogs but maybe that's just because the one jumped the fence into their yard a few times.] What I gathered from that [they liked it better in Israel] is that the rest of the Middle East must really freaking suck.

That, or some antizionists are exaggerating.

Both sides exaggerate to no end, it's the only reason anyone pays attention. As bodycounts go, it's really a very minor and trifling conflict. The nearby PKK vs Turkey conflict has a higher number of casualties than this current Intifadeh, and it hit that in a fraction of the time span. And most people don't even know about it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:51 am

Cornflake wrote:
He has not been charged with any crime for five years, yet he is imprisoned still.
If there is sufficient evidence then he should be charged and subjected to legal process.
If there is not, he should be set free - and if he is set free, he should be free to return to the country of his birth and resume his life unimpeded.

Five years??? Crap! Yeah, let him go.

I still don't see what his AS has to do with it though.

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2012, 6:30 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... rs-hacking

In a last-ditch attempt to overturn earlier court decisions that the 43-year-old "UFO enthusiast" should be extradited, his lawyers accused prosecutors of ignoring the "disastrous consequences" of facing trial and a possible lengthy prison sentence in an American "supermax" prison.

Extradition + pre-trial solitary confinement + trial + Supermax prison=a disaster