Teacher accused of putting boy with autism in trash can.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:39 am

Via Wsb-tv (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/national ... -in/nk94C/)

By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A veteran Georgia special education teacher is accused of putting a second-grader with autism in a trash, saying his behavior was similar to Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street, according school system police.

Mary Katherine Pursley, a teacher at Mt. Bethel Elementary in Cobb County, was attempting to calm the child during an after-school program Thursday afternoon, witnesses told police.

“The accused talked with the victim about Oscar the Grouch and his ‘trashy behavior’,” Pursley’s arrest warrant states. “The accused told the victim, ‘If he had trashy behavior like Oscar, he’d go to the trash can’.”

Pursley then allegedly picked up the child by his legs, held him upside down and put him head-first into a trash can, according to police.

“Are you going to stop yelling now?” Pursley asked the boy, witnesses said.

The boy was crying, screaming and yelling “stop” while being held by Pursley, the arrest warrant states. She then set the boy down on the floor. The incident was witnessed by two paraprofessionals and the school after-school director. Other students in the classroom also witnessed Pursley’s actions, according to police.

Pursley, 45, of Atlanta, was arrested Monday night and charged with cruelty to children in the first degree, Cobb County jail records showed. She was released early Tuesday after posting $5,000 bond.

Pursley, who has been with the school district for 21 years, is on administrative leave with pay while the matter is under review, a spokeswoman for the school system said.

&&&

It's all fine and good if this person gets fired and/or charged but the sad fact is there's still more like them in the shadows I recall having to deal with my own abusive teacher when I moved here to Atlanta area :(

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

Bad that it happened to this poor child; good that she was caught and arrested.

But I share the sadness for those in the unreported shadows who suffer such abuse. If this perpetrator has been a teacher for 21 years, I would be surprised if this were her first abusive act.

Rodey316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2015, 8:31 pm

So according to that teacher, placing a child in a trash can is intended to CALM him? *shaking my head* Good thing she was arrested. I wonder how she got hired?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 8:43 pm

Teacher charged with putting student in trash says she was joking

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Rodey316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2015, 8:48 pm

Even if she was joking, a teacher, let alone a SPECIAL NEEDS teacher should not make that sort of physical contact with a student. What she did was very inappropriate.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 4:40 pm

It's not just the physical contact, but the symbolism... "You are trash." ..."Look here at this person, they're trash!"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 3:15 pm

Board Fires Teacher Accused of Lowering Boy Into Trash

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 9:47 pm

Quote:
She says she and "T" had a loving, joking relationship, but a district investigator says the child had a different view of the incident.
"In his testimony to me, he did not take it as being joking. He did not see it as being teased," said investigator Chris Dowd. "His demeanor changed. He clenched his fist and got visibly angry and stated, she makes me so angry, I just want to get away from her."

Another kid once held me upside down. I think it was when I was 8. It was scary. I can't believe this teacher believed she would get away with it in front of her peers. I can only imagine how she behaved on her own.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm

why was autism in the trash can?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:19 am

blauSamstag wrote:
why was autism in the trash can?

The fired teacher put an Autistic boy in the trash can

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 6:35 pm

I hope that teacher never again gets hired in any sort of educational position.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I hope that teacher never again gets hired in any sort of educational position.

x2