Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 7:40 am

Netflix To Premiere Two Autism-Related Documentaries in July

Quote:
“The Speed Cubers” will follow two young Rubik’s Cube-solving champions Max Park and Feliks Zemdegs. Park, who has autism, is a California native and has traded wins and world records with his rival, Zemdegs. The competitive relationship has blossomed into a tender, yet complicated friendship and this heartfelt documentary captures the extraordinary twists and turns of both of their journeys as they seek to win another World Championship. It will also highlight the paradox of these two competitors simultaneously being both friends and rivals.

“The Speed Cubers” will air on July 29, 2020.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2020, 7:11 am

I just learned how to solve a Rubik's cube this weekend, I am definitely going to check out this documentary, thank you. This is how I learned it: How to Solve a Rubik's Cube | WIRED

I can get 60% of the way through solving one by heart (up to 17:35 in the video) but the only algorithm and the scenarios used for it I've memorized so far is F U R U' R' F'. I made a cheat sheet for the rest, hopefully with practice I won't need it:

Quote:
Solve the Yellow Face

- If you have zero or two yellow corner pieces, rotate the top face of your cube until there is a yellow sticker in the top right corner of the L side, and perform R U R’ U R U2 R’
- If you have the fish, rotate the top face such that the fish’s mouth points down and to the left, and perform R U R’ U R U2 R’

Position the Corners

- If none of your faces have matching corner pieces, Perform L’ U R U’ L U R’ R U R’ U R U2 R’
- If one of your faces have matching corner pieces, hold that face in the left hand, and perform L’ U R U’ L U R’ R U R’ U R U2 R’
- If one of the sides is solved, face it away from you. To move the edge pieces clockwise perform F2 U R’ L F2 L’ R U F2
To move the edge pieces counterclockwise, perform F2 U’ R’ L F2 L’ R U’ F2
- If none of the sides is solved, perform the counterclockwise algorithm once, reposition the cube, and then perform it again

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 8:35 pm

usagibryan wrote:
I just learned how to solve a Rubik's cube this weekend, I am definitely going to check out this documentary, thank you. This is how I learned it: How to Solve a Rubik's Cube | WIRED

I can get 60% of the way through solving one by heart (up to 17:35 in the video) but the only algorithm and the scenarios used for it I've memorized so far is F U R U' R' F'. I made a cheat sheet for the rest, hopefully with practice I won't need it:
You don't feel like this method is a kind of cheating? Since I've always valued figuring out how to solve them by my own skill, what you're saying seems strange to me. What's the point of solving a puzzle if someone has shown you how to do it?

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2020, 5:44 am

starkid wrote:
You don't feel like this method is a kind of cheating? Since I've always valued figuring out how to solve them by my own skill, what you're saying seems strange to me. What's the point of solving a puzzle if someone has shown you how to do it?

It didn't occur to me to think of it as cheating, I'm not sure how I would have figured this out on my own, until now I've never solved a Rubik's cube by just fiddling with it. This method still takes practice, and I still have to practice doing it fast.

I'm sure there are other methods that are faster, when I get the hang of this one I will seek out others.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2020, 8:32 pm

What you're talking about are two somewhat different skills.

1) solving cube using "intuitive" method (all on your own).
2) solving cube using established methods you didn't discover (with help), but applying them to unique situations, and doing so in a timed setting.

I think both are respectable. FWIW I've never done either (solved on my own, or with help).

Could Magnus Carlsen have beaten Bobby Fischer, given all the modern training tools available to him? Probably. Could he have done so if Fischer had been alive today and had access to the same tools? Not as easy of a question to answer.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2020, 9:24 am

Okay I just watched this last night and it was surprisingly heartwarming. I love the relationship between Max and Feliks.

eyelessshiver wrote:
What you're talking about are two somewhat different skills.

1) solving cube using "intuitive" method (all on your own).
2) solving cube using established methods you didn't discover (with help), but applying them to unique situations, and doing so in a timed setting.

I think both are respectable. FWIW I've never done either (solved on my own, or with help).

Could Magnus Carlsen have beaten Bobby Fischer, given all the modern training tools available to him? Probably. Could he have done so if Fischer had been alive today and had access to the same tools? Not as easy of a question to answer.

Thank you, that made me feel kind of better, lol. I definitely fall under category 2, I'm fascinated by and attracted to a lot of past times that might be considered cerebral, like chess, math, puzzles, etc, but just because I enjoy them doesn't mean I'm necessarily good at them, in fact I suck at them. I'm always trying to learn how to get better at these things and will take all the help I can get, I'm not a natural logician by any means.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2020, 5:56 pm

Another idiot savant trope with autism as a cloak to seem topical and helpful.

Pass

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2020, 10:28 am

Update, I can solve the cube by heart now, using the same method, my record is 01:26.08. My cube is starting to get looser, I think I'm wearing it out, it might break, some people suggested higher quality cubes like the GAN cube or TengYun used for speed cubing.

Once I feel comfortable that I'm not going to forget these 5 algorithms I'm going to try learning other methods, next is CFOP method. I heard speed cubers memorize hundreds of algorithms.

killerBunny wrote:
Another idiot savant trope with autism as a cloak to seem topical and helpful.

Pass

It's a true story though... how is it a trope if it's a documentary?