Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

clay5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2016, 8:16 am

B19 wrote:
By far the most damaging stereotype - so actively promoted by political movements (disguised as benevolent charities, most notably Autism Speaks) - is that autism is all that anyone on the spectrum is, not really a human being with distinct personal characteristics, soul et al, merely the living embodiment of a disorder - the "living disorder" stereotype.

This is why I never thought I am autistic.
Only when I saw Aspies on Youtube talking about it themselves could I recognise that I am autistic too. Previously when I only knew the descriptions by NT professionals I just got the image of a non-human robot and would have never thought of myself as autistic because I consider myself a human and not some kind of robot. I also didn't think I knew anyone else with autism because I just didn't know any robots in human bodies. I often cringe when I read about autism by professionals and it sounds not just like they're describing some kind of other animal species, but like they are describing a machine.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm

AStrangerInGodzone is an Aspergers Syndrome blog written by a AS woman in New Zealand.

Today's post from her is: Autistics Who Don't Fit The Stereotypes and I enjoyed reading it so it may be worth googling for those of us who don't fit the conventional stereotypes of male geek or house-destroying male child (which, as she notes, are the two stereotypes that dominate in commentaries written about AS people, usually by NT people though not always).

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

B19 wrote:
AStrangerInGodzone is an Aspergers Syndrome blog written by a AS woman in New Zealand.

Today's post from her is: Autistics Who Don't Fit The Stereotypes and I enjoyed reading it so it may be worth googling for those of us who don't fit the conventional stereotypes of male geek or house-destroying male child (which, as she notes, are the two stereotypes that dominate in commentaries written about AS people, usually by NT people though not always).

Thank you for that, very interesting.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

TheAP wrote:
B19 wrote:

Thank you for that, very interesting.

I second these sentiments. Thank you for the search terms, it was a good read.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

Thanks to both of you for this feedback :)

There is a thread now being discussed in the general forum which is specifically focused on the article as a starting point, if you would like to read or participate in it. I am quite heartened that the article has been generally well received, by
a diverse group of members more or less in unity on this.

Sonia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2016, 12:39 pm

Amongst the stereotypes of Asperger's I have heard, there are a few that really baffle me when I hear it:
1. Asperger's is all "just in your head." Although, an appropriate response to this would be something like "of course it is. Asperger's is about the way our brains are wired!" Get it??
2. Asperger's Syndrome people have to look a certain way in order to have Asperger's.
3. Asperger's Syndrome people can't make eye contact. While it's true many struggle with it, it doesn't mean that it cannot be learned.
4. People will also say "well, you have friends now." Does that mean Asperger's Syndrome automatically goes away? No! It just means that I learned social skills enough to be able to make friends. Even then, it is a constant work in progress.

Ersatz Einstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2016, 4:52 pm

- Aspies don't understand art or literature.
- Aspies don't have a sense of humor.
- Aspies can't be in relationships.
- Aspies can't really love.
- AS is a fake diagnosis to cover narcissism.
- AS is a euphemism for autism.
- Inside every aspie or autistic, there's a "normal person" trying to get out.
- Aspies are suffering and want to be cured.
- Aspies think they're better than everyone else. (I still have no idea why both exist.)
- Aspies only appreciate science fiction and fantasy.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 12:44 am

-Everyone with Asperger's is good at math

-No one with Asperger's wants friends

-Everyone with Asperger's loves trains

-All aspies are male

-Adults can't have Asperger's

-Everyone with Asperger's is a genius

-People with Asperger's love computers and can't excel in any occupations except IT

-All aspies are asexual

-All aspies are obsessed with sex

-People with Asperger's love weapons

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 2:17 am

Ok, here's one I'm noticing:

- Aspies don't drink booze.

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
-Aspies never swear

... the f**k? What kind of as*hole thinks this? They've clearly never listened to the s**t that comes out of my mouth. :lol:

Aniihya wrote:
Aspies are logical. (This is one of the most widespread inaccurate stereotype within the community.)

I know, right? What a crock.

Ersatz Einstein wrote:
- Aspies are suffering and want to be cured.

I'd add that this not being the case is also a stereotype.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 4:48 am

climategeek wrote:
All Aspies are pathological truth tellers
All aspies are neo-Nazis
All aspies hate religion
All aspies have ESP
All Aspies are empaths
All Aspies have no feelings
All Aspies are gay (I have been called that :cry:)
Aspies will save the world
Aspies are future dictators

I also love fighter Jet my favorite plane is the Mig-31 Foxhound and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

i do not consider myself to be representative of all people with asperger syndrome, so i can not deign to either endorse or reject any of the stereotypes you mention.

stereotypes of some varieties applied to asperger syndrome may be valid but i am not of the consideration that i am qualified to speak on behalf of anyone else but myself.

the aspects of my condition that may be a common element to asperger syndrome are:

1. inability to fluently reciprocate in conversation.
2. extreme necessity to live a routine life.
3. inability to be infected by prevailing social moods.

that is all, but i am not sure these traits are common to all people with asperger syndrome.

i have many other idiosyncrasies, but i allow that they are probably peculiar to me and exist due to the life i have lived whilst having asperger syndrome.

i do not care what stereotypes may be prevalent about apserger syndrome, because if someone meets me and is informed that i have asperger syndrome and judges me with preference to their own preconceptions, then i will dismiss them as people to interact with.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 11:08 am

Aspies can't understand any idioms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 12:55 am

Vice has article about the cost of these stereotypes
Here’s What You’re Getting Wrong About People With Asperger's

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman