Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2017, 7:52 pm

I'm so sorry. When something disappoints me , sharing it makes me feel better. :?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 4:39 am

This guys view of autism is somewhere back in the 1960's.

No speech, no emotion? and the guy was talking about a spectrum (SMH)

No goals? I guess the guy never heard of special interests and hyperfocus.

No sense of self. It is people defining us like this that is part of the problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 12:16 pm

What makes you think that it's his view when he very clearly stated whose hypothesis it was? The chapter is evolutionary perspectives of mental disorders, it's looking at cases of autism which can be explained biologically (in case words like "deletion" and "duplication" didn't hint at that).

It's not a psychology course, it's biology.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:53 am

iliketrees wrote:
What makes you think that it's his view when he very clearly stated whose hypothesis it was? The chapter is evolutionary perspectives of mental disorders, it's looking at cases of autism which can be explained biologically (in case words like "deletion" and "duplication" didn't hint at that).

I was criticizing him for having a very outdated view of autism. What you have done is give a plausible explanation for this view. If your theory is correct that still does not excuse a Yale professor teaching outdated information sans caveat.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

I was criticizing him for having a very outdated view of autism. What you have done is give a plausible explanation for this view. If your theory is correct that still does not excuse a Yale professor teaching outdated information sans caveat.

Where does he state that it's his view? It's not a theory, check the video description. Words like "hypothesis" make it clear it's just that, a hypothesis. That's without mentioning this is a supplementary video, I'm sure more is mentioned on the actual course.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:30 pm

The genetic hypothosis could be 100 percent correct that does not make his description of autism correct. I can not comment based on maybe he said something that is not in the video or maybe he is just repeating a hypothisis and it is not his own view.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 11:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The genetic hypothosis could be 100 percent correct that does not make his description of autism correct. I can not comment based on maybe he said something that is not in the video or maybe he is just repeating a hypothisis and it is not his own view.

It's not his description, and it's describing Angelman Syndrome, not the autism spectrum as a whole.