Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2011, 10:29 am

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just put it here under Health. Hope that's correct.

My husband and I both have Asperger's. However we deal with stress very differently. I tend to have meltdowns and he tends to shut off completely. I tend to NOT like to drink, especially when stressed because I don't like the out of control feeling or clouding my thinking (I mean, I'm already clouded up with the feelings when I'm having a stress-meltdown anyway). He however is either an alcoholic or at least almost one.

He has had alcohol problems off and on since I don't even know when. We have had many discussions about it, I have given ultimatums (when I was desperate), we have even broken up over it (although that was long, long ago). He always goes on the wagon for awhile but at the 1st sign of stress he starts again; usually small and then it goes out of control quickly. He isn't a violent drunk, but that isn't the point. He doesn't act like himself, he doesn't even talk the same and it freaks me out. Also it is effecting his health. Most importantly we have children (1 toddler, 1 on the way). He hasn't been drunk like this since before our son was born, but the last couple weeks I have seen signs he is drinking again. He STINKS of it, he is often passed out/sleeping during the day (he works from home often), and I am finding glasses with wine residue around the house. I think he is hiding most of the sources. I can't find them anywhere so they must be in weird places so I won't find them (he doesn't want to worry me/ piss me off again). I don't get it because he is OBVIOUSLY wasted- he stinks of it, in fact the whole house does! Why bother hiding it? I'm obviously going to find out, I'm not 5 years old.

Anyway, my problem is I really need to nip this in the bud once and for all. I'm thinking I wait until he sobers up and then have a mellow, but serious talk about it. However I have done this before and while it works in the short term it doesn't work all the way. His problem seems to stem from work stress. When he is having a lot of it that's when he tends to drink.

I have not forbidden alcohol from our home because I feel it will only encourage him to hide it more. But what happens is he goes shopping and then says, "I got this bottle of wine. I hope that's ok." Then I tell him it's fine because I haven't had a problem with him drinking socially or having 1-2 glasses with a nice meal. However this is not what usually happens.
he usually drinks all the bottle, glass after glass, then I find him even drunker later in the morning. He obviously buys MORE than just that bottle and hides the rest. I am trying to be caring and understanding but it's pretty offensive. More importantly it's scary and worrisome. This CAN'T be good for him and he's been having health issues (blackouts, although he actually WASN'T drunk when he had the 2 he did; tension headaches, tingling in extremities, bathroom "accidents"- although that's usually when he IS drunk and it's not IN the bathroom but wherever he is passed out)

I know he needs pro help. Me telling him is obviously not enough. I just want things to be functional and I can't function when I'm freaked out or when he is totally unavailable (it's one thing to be unreachable, it's another to be wasted out of your head, unable to even take care of yourself). He is not religious at all (super Atheist, and I'm Agnostic) and like I said he's an Aspie (as am I), so going to AA/Al-anon and praying and discussing stuff with a big group of strangers sounds like a bad idea. Couples counseling? Private counseling? He has gone to counseling before for general emotional therapy (that's how he ended up finding out he has AS), so he is a "believer" in that to a point. I'm just concerned he won't be honest in the private counseling or that he won't even go.

I have looked up stuff online and it seems everyone has different advice: confront him with evidence (used to do that, but he hides it now so I can't. And besides, it didn't work), leave him (he is my family and a wonderful person, he's just sick a small fraction of the time- I want to deal with the sickness, not throw him away :( ), stop talking about what HE needs to do and talk about what I need to do (I don't even know what that is supposed to mean- the person talked about Al-anon and like I said I don't think that is really for me- maybe counseling?)...Anyone have any other advice for confronting him/getting help to knock this for good, maybe some that takes our Aspie nature into consideration?

Thanks for reading this.

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2011, 10:37 am

Addicts don't change until they have no choice, and even then, they have to want to. You can't fix him. You can't change him. This is all on him to correct. This family is his to lose. Perhaps you need to make that plain to him. It's not about ultimatims. It's about 'hey, I have two children to think about, and I can't be the person I need to be when you behave this way'.

Why is he more important than you are? Than your kids are? That's enabling thinking. Honestly, based on what you provided, it sounds like you've taught him that you're just going to get angry/hurt, and all he has to do is fly straight long enough to appease you - then he can go back to his normal routine. He has no incentive to change.

Changing 'you' (versus changing him) means consider the possibility that he never stops drinking - because, in fact, you cannot control that. But you are unhappy right now. So you have to change yourself. That may mean getting counseling, sure. It may mean forbidding liquor in your home or around your children. It may mean giving him an ultimatum. It may mean choosing yourself/your kids over the alcoholic, and leaving. I don't know. But you can't sit there waiting for him to change. You have to act on the situation as it is, right now.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:43 am

He needs to treat why he is drinking such as the anxiety/social phobia/depression, I found reading self help and CBT books helpful. I found the 'overcoming' series especially good
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... overcoming

I also find meditating and exercise helpful.

Its very hard as I think people with alcoholism have a genetic predisposition and that its is harder for them to give up than for other people and that they are likely to go onto other addictions. In my family my grand dad was an alcoholic as was my father and myself. I was motivated to stop drinking heavily as my father died of alcoholism, but if I had not experienced that i would not have had that scarey picture of my future. maybe it would help to research into deaths by alcoholism (varices, Cirrhosis of liver, strokes), my dad had about 6 strokes before he finally died when his throat varices bled to death which is a grim picture to keep in mind and be motivated. But the person has to decide themselves, so I think finding motivation for him is key, stopping the drink from being his 'only friend' to it being his enemy (who will kill him).

I found hypnotism helpful in stopping me binge eating so he might find that helpful for the drinking, I know amazon has downloadable hypnotism audio books for MP3 player and audio books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... g+hypnosis

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:50 am

Sorry, but it does sound like he is an alcoholic.

Ultimatums don't work, my father was alcoholic - he lost his first wife and son, and my mother and I as a result of his drinking (if losing wife and kids can't pull someone out of addiction you can't take it personally, you have to accept that it's his demons to fight)...along with his home, money, health and eventually his life - the addiction is in control so as much as he may know he's harming himself and those around him, as much as he may know it's causing problems and may cost him his family, addiction wins out. Confronting doesn't help either, it just makes him more aware of what he is doing and so more ashamed.

If you're partner at least acknowledges there is a problem it is a VERY good start, but he does need some sort of professional support, it would need to be private and he would need to really participate. Other than a. telling him to go and hope that he is in a place where he can commit and really try, or b. you leaving him (which is still unlikely to make him stop, but you have to consider yourself and your family above him and his addiction), then there's not much else you can do.

Do you have a therapist of your own at all, or could you talk to his therapist for advice?
Generally I would say it would be worth you talking to professionals yourself about how to deal with it, they would be able to better advise you on what you can do to help him to help himself (remember this - he has to help himself, nothing you do will help until he's ready to do something himself...and the addiction is stopping him from doing this). If not therapists then talk to your doctor, or go to an AA meeting and ask to talk privately with the person running the group.

Sorry. There is never an easy way to deal with addiction, even less so when it's not you but a loved one who has the problem.
*hugs*

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 2:19 pm

Gigi830 wrote:
Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just put it here under Health. Hope that's correct.

This is affecting just about every aspect of your life. It fits virtually everywhere.

There are some other threads on the topic in other areas. You might be interested in this recent one: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt159524.html (my own personal story is on the second page). There's also a sticky called "Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling Thread" in The Haven.

Gigi830 wrote:
He however is either an alcoholic or at least almost one.

I'm sorry, but I don't see much evidence of "almost one."

Gigi830 wrote:
He always goes on the wagon for awhile

This isn't evidence of "almost one" BTW. Most alcoholics can stop drinking on their own for some length of time.

Gigi830 wrote:
but at the 1st sign of stress he starts again; usually small and then it goes out of control quickly.

Most alcoholics pick up right where they left off -- even after lengthy periods of sobriety. It doesn't take long.

Gigi830 wrote:
He isn't a violent drunk, but that isn't the point.

You're right. I was a sweet one, in fact.

Gigi830 wrote:
the last couple weeks I have seen signs he is drinking again. He STINKS of it, he is often passed out/sleeping during the day (he works from home often), and I am finding glasses with wine residue around the house. I think he is hiding most of the sources. I can't find them anywhere so they must be in weird places so I won't find them (he doesn't want to worry me/ piss me off again). I don't get it because he is OBVIOUSLY wasted- he stinks of it, in fact the whole house does! Why bother hiding it? I'm obviously going to find out, I'm not 5 years old.

Believe me, alcoholics think they are the cleverest people on the planet and fooling everybody. Most are pretty devious, actually. But, they're not that good.

Gigi830 wrote:
His problem seems to stem from work stress.

You may consider that his problem stems from alcoholism.

Gigi830 wrote:
I have not forbidden alcohol from our home because I feel it will only encourage him to hide it more. But what happens is he goes shopping and then says, "I got this bottle of wine. I hope that's ok." Then I tell him it's fine because I haven't had a problem with him drinking socially or having 1-2 glasses with a nice meal. However this is not what usually happens.
he usually drinks all the bottle, glass after glass, then I find him even drunker later in the morning. He obviously buys MORE than just that bottle and hides the rest. I am trying to be caring and understanding but it's pretty offensive.

This is very typical. Not that the exact details matter that much, but he was probably drinking while he was doing the shopping, on his way home, when he took the dog out, when he got up to use the bathroom, etc., etc., etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that there are bottles hidden all over your house, porch, garage, car...

Gigi830 wrote:
More importantly it's scary and worrisome. This CAN'T be good for him and he's been having health issues (blackouts, although he actually WASN'T drunk when he had the 2 he did; tension headaches, tingling in extremities, bathroom "accidents"- although that's usually when he IS drunk and it's not IN the bathroom but wherever he is passed out)

No, of course it's not good for him. I didn't have obvious health problems when I stopped drinking, but it turned out that I was in early stages of cirrhosis in my mid-30s.

Gigi830 wrote:
I know he needs pro help.

I don't know if that's true.

Gigi830 wrote:
Me telling him is obviously not enough.

Now THAT'S true.

Gigi830 wrote:
I just want things to be functional and I can't function when I'm freaked out or when he is totally unavailable (it's one thing to be unreachable, it's another to be wasted out of your head, unable to even take care of yourself).

This is totally understandable.

Gigi830 wrote:
He is not religious at all (super Atheist, and I'm Agnostic) and like I said he's an Aspie (as am I), so going to AA/Al-anon and praying and discussing stuff with a big group of strangers sounds like a bad idea.

This may be geographically dependent, believe it or not. If you live in the deep south, then you're probably going to have trouble finding anything but A.A. meetings with very strong religious leanings. If you live in the northeast, you'll have better luck. In fact, I go to a meeting called "We Agnostics" (all A.A. meetings in NYC have names). Just know that A.A. meetings are not religious revivals. That said, "super Atheist" isn't an incredibly auspicious start.

Gigi830 wrote:
Couples counseling? Private counseling? He has gone to counseling before for general emotional therapy (that's how he ended up finding out he has AS), so he is a "believer" in that to a point. I'm just concerned he won't be honest in the private counseling or that he won't even go.

The only thing I know to be effective for anyone is A.A. And even then, it isn't statistically very effective. All that said, I don't know much about the different forms of counseling.

Gigi830 wrote:
I have looked up stuff online and it seems everyone has different advice:

Everyone has different advice because no one knows what works -- if anything. (I've seen people with multiple decades of sobriety start drinking again.) We know the most effective treatment for most diseases, but alcoholism is incredibly elusive.

Gigi830 wrote:
confront him with evidence (used to do that, but he hides it now so I can't. And besides, it didn't work)

No alcoholic needs to feel more guilt and shame about what he's doing to himself and you and your family. May make it worse, actually.

Gigi830 wrote:
leave him (he is my family and a wonderful person, he's just sick a small fraction of the time- I want to deal with the sickness, not throw him away :( )

I would encourage you to rethink the "he's just sick a small fraction of the time" feeling. I've been sober for 3 1/2 years, and I'm sick all the time. I do like the "I want to deal with the sickness" part a whole lot.

Gigi830 wrote:
stop talking about what HE needs to do and talk about what I need to do (I don't even know what that is supposed to mean- the person talked about Al-anon and like I said I don't think that is really for me- maybe counseling?)...

I don't know much about Al-Anon because I don't go, but I think the idea is that, while alcohol's effect on your husband is pretty obvious, the fact that you're a victim too is less obvious. I think at its best, Al-Anon can give you the tools to make you strong enough to be with him or without him. Just anecdotally, people do say there's too much complaining about the problem and too little focus on the solution. (I don't say that as a fact, and I wish someone would come along and say that this isn't true.)

Gigi830 wrote:
Anyone have any other advice for confronting him/getting help to knock this for good, maybe some that takes our Aspie nature into consideration?

Thanks for reading this.

Honestly, you've gotten really excellent advice from previous posters in this thread who really seem to understand what you're going through. I think I'd just be repeating what they said if I go on much longer. Just trust that once the pain of drinking (which may include things like job loss, family loss, etc.) becomes greater than the pain of not drinking, he'll stop. Everyone's different, and it's impossible to predict how hard and how long he'll fight this. For me, when the pain of drinking (which was the equivalent of losing my girlfriend who was trying to get me sober -- she's an alcoholic too) was greater than the pain of not drinking (which was pretty damn painful and still is sometimes), I stopped.

I talk and correspond with lots of people (mainly women) in your position, and the horribly unsatisfying answer here is always the same: it's going to take what it's going to take. I wish it were some other way.

Good luck! And know that you're welcome to PM me for more if you'd like. People in recovery are there for each other. They just are -- no questions asked.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 11:13 am

Thank you everyone for your insight and advice. I decided my best option was to leave and leave him a note telling him to call me when he was sobered up from his latest binge. I told him I loved him and our family is very important to me and that's why I had to leave right then. When he sobered up later that night we talked. I decided to skip over the emotional part (besides, I have communicated to him how scared and hurt it makes me. That is not news). Instead I went into "take care of business mode" and laid it out for him. I told him he had a problem (which is something I wouldn't admit before. I didn't want it to be true either) and that he needed to get real help, and if he didn't get it he would lose his family. In the past when I threatened that he had never admitted he had a problem, just that he would be "OK". I of course was totally enabling him and would give him all kinds of outs (he's stressed, he needs to destress somehow, "I don't know if you're an alcoholic but something is wrong," that sort of thing)

To my surprise he actually admitted it this time, he actually said he was an alcoholic. Maybe because I left and took our kids away AND I told him flat out he was an alcoholic. It's a fact, not an emotional judgmental opinion on my part. And all the evidence proves it. Once I confronted him with it he had no ammo to dispute it.

He said he knows he needs to do something but isn't sure what to do. We decided to start with counseling; we are both going to attend. He even said, before I could get to it, that alcohol should be forbidden from the house. Hopefully he stops hiding it. Good thing is I have heightened senses, because of my Autism and now my pregnancy, especially smell. I know when he's drunk, I know when he's been drinking. I can totally smell it and when he starts getting tipsy there are small changes I know to look out for (his speech changes and his eyes get red). It's going to be a long road, but we're at least taking the 1st step and I think that's good progress.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 11:24 am

Oh, also I live near San Diego, Ca (and a lot of our family lives in LA) so maybe we can find some kind of secular AA type help. He doesn't like support groups though usually. I've tried to get him to go to one for AS and he says he doesn't like the social aspect. He does like one on one counseling (or in this case one on two) though, so we'll find someone and see how that goes.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 11:30 am

A person is only an alcoholic if he/she believes they are. There is no clear definition of what constitutes an alcoholic and the danger is that the healthist/anti-alcohol lobby uses the term 'alcoholics' in order to denormalise people that are just heavy drinkers.

Technically, anyone who consistently drinks over the "recommended daily/weekly alcohol limits" is an alcoholic. So anyone who drinks more than one pint of premium-strength (5%) lager a day is exceeding his limits. This is ridiculous.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:02 pm

Congratulations, Gigi. You did something really brave and heroic -- and uncommon! In my experience, most people have nowhere near the resolve and strength it takes to do what you did. I, for one, am really, really happy for you and your family. Ya did good!

Tequila wrote:
A person is only an alcoholic if he/she believes they are.

While I agree that no one is going to get sober if he doesn't believe he's an alcoholic, I don't agree with this statement. I'm sure I or anyone else could paint you a picture that made it pretty undeniable.

Tequila wrote:
There is no clear definition of what constitutes an alcoholic

Does there really need to be a "clear definition"? Isn't anecdotal evidence enough? Consuming enormous quantities of alcohol at all hours of the day, losing jobs, ruining families, driving drunk, ending up homeless -- none of that is really a "clear definition" but it seems to me enough.

Tequila wrote:
the danger is that the healthist/anti-alcohol lobby uses the term 'alcoholics' in order to denormalise people that are just heavy drinkers.

Is that really the "danger"? Or is the danger that Gigi's husband gets into a car drunk -- because she was afraid to demoralize him by using the "A" word around him -- and he kills your kids?

Tequila wrote:
Technically, anyone who consistently drinks over the "recommended daily/weekly alcohol limits" is an alcoholic. So anyone who drinks more than one pint of premium-strength (5%) lager a day is exceeding his limits. This is ridiculous.

If that's your society's definition of "alcoholic," then I'd probably agree with you. Those aren't the quantities that we're talking about here, though, so far as I understand.

Listen, I'm not here to ruin anyone's fun. If you're a heavy drinker, and it's nothing but fun and games for you, well then I'm a little jealous! I wish I had been able to keep it under control like that. If I were like you, I'd drink too! But, sadly, I'm not. And Gigi doesn't think her husband is, either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:25 pm

The man is not an alcholic.

He is a drunk.

Alcoholics go to meetings.

Divorce him; you deserve better.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 4:42 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
Tequila wrote:

While I agree that no one is going to get sober if he doesn't believe he's an alcoholic, I don't agree with this statement. I'm sure I or anyone else could paint you a picture that made it pretty undeniable.

OK, what's the definition of an alcoholic? My definition would be of a man who has an extreme dependency on it to the point of not being able to work or think of anything except drinking. This person drinks as soon as they wake up and don't stop until they go to bed. Such people sometimes have a tendency to get into fights with others and have been socially ostracised largely because of their drinking. This person smells terrible and doesn't take care of their hygiene.

As I say, though, most people who are branded 'alcoholics' aren't like this. They just enjoy a couple more drinks a week over a staggeringly low (for them) "recommended limit", a limit made entirely out of thin air.

Most people I know who are "alcoholics" look after themselves - they'd be very insulted to be called something they're not. They can handle their drink (when they have it) and fulfil all the normal responsibilities of life.

For those people that can't do this, then the answer would be to stop. Not to force your skewed experiences of alcohol onto everyone else. People are individuals. People are different.

Quote:
Does there really need to be a "clear definition"? Isn't anecdotal evidence enough?

It's a pretty severe thing when you're using denormalising (and insulting) language in that way. You'd better have a lot of evidence for doing so, is my advice.

There are a lot of heavy drinkers in this world and as long as they don't think it affects their life, let them at it. When children are involved, the picture is complicated. But otherwise, just leave people alone. They'll find their way in the end.

The reason why I make specific mention of 'denormalisation' is that public bodies are starting to call for discrimination against 'obese' people, 'alcoholics', smokers and those with risky lifestyles. These people have paid into these schemes their entire lives on the assumption that it's for everyone, so to deny them the treatment they need is disgusting. (Another reason why I think plurality in the NHS would be a good idea - shake the bastards up a bit.)

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:26 pm

Tequila wrote:
RainingRoses wrote:
Tequila wrote:

OK, what's the definition of an alcoholic? My definition would be of a man who has an extreme dependency on it to the point of not being able to work or think of anything except drinking. This person drinks as soon as they wake up and don't stop until they go to bed. Such people sometimes have a tendency to get into fights with others and have been socially ostracised largely because of their drinking. This person smells terrible and doesn't take care of their hygiene.

This is pretty extreme, IMO. I think someone crosses over into alcoholic territory long before he's this far gone. But, we're talking about matters of degree. Honestly, the best "definition of an alcoholic" is someone who can't (or won't -- about the same difference) stop drinking once he starts. That, in my experience, is the most common characteristic of people I've run into who identify as alcoholics (which is probably well over a thousand).

Tequila wrote:
As I say, though, most people who are branded 'alcoholics' aren't like this.

It's a shame that you're experiencing behavior that you describe as "branding." That's pretty negative. No one gets well by being branded and shamed into it.

Tequila wrote:
They just enjoy a couple more drinks a week over a staggeringly low (for them) "recommended limit", a limit made entirely out of thin air.

I think those limits are set in accordance with medicine's view (which seems to change every month) of what a healthy -- as in actually good for you -- amount of alcohol is. Probably not very useful for determining where problem drinking starts.

Tequila wrote:
Most people I know who are "alcoholics" look after themselves - they'd be very insulted to be called something they're not. They can handle their drink (when they have it) and fulfil all the normal responsibilities of life.

Yeah, this is the fun I don't want to ruin, as I said in my last post. Keeping it together, not hurting anyone, just like to tie one on -- go for it!

Tequila wrote:
There are a lot of heavy drinkers in this world and as long as they don't think it affects their life, let them at it. When children are involved, the picture is complicated. But otherwise, just leave people alone. They'll find their way in the end.

That sounds OK to a point. Just understand that you're posting in a thread where children are involved, a family is at risk of falling apart because of problem drinking, etc.

Tequila wrote:
The reason why I make specific mention of 'denormalisation' is that public bodies are starting to call for discrimination against 'obese' people, 'alcoholics', smokers and those with risky lifestyles. These people have paid into these schemes their entire lives on the assumption that it's for everyone, so to deny them the treatment they need is disgusting. (Another reason why I think plurality in the NHS would be a good idea - shake the bastards up a bit.)

IMO, anyone who seeks alcohol counseling, rehab, etc. should get it -- no questions asked. Your system, despite your complaints, is probably better than what we have here.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:47 pm

The NHS is the envy of the world according to many leftist types here. How many countries have copied it? Not many; other European countries fund it differently and therefore often have better healthcare as a result.

I'd have no problem with the NHS if it was actually about looking after the patients. These days, it's all about cost-cutting and bureaucratic rationing. There are some fantastic people who do wonderful jobs that work in the NHS but a lot of it falls well short of the mark. There are also a lot of people who are neglectful, uncaring and abusive - stories of elderly people being left to sit in their own feces for hours on end, and so on. Politicised dogma rules in the NHS rather than the needs of patients.

Talking of cost-cutting…

…this is the sort of food that quite often gets served in NHS hospitals due to the cost-cutting that goes on.

See here (http://hospitalnotes.blogspot.com/2011/02/words-fail-me.html).

And if you complain about it, you will often be harassed and victimised. Complaining about the NHS is a big no-no and you will be shunned. It's the third-biggest state employer in the world! And because there is effectively no competition to the NHS (it being state-funded) the majority of people in this country have no real recourse if things go wrong. They can't exactly take their business elsewhere - and, even if they could, they'd be paying twice.

There's a lot of waste in the NHS, too. It would be an awful lot better without the waste and inefficiency, but there are vested interests against exposing these.

Having to wait an hour for a blood test is one of my recent ones. Oh, and a psychiatrist that denies my (long-held) Asperger's diagnosis without knowing what Asperger's is.

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2011, 10:26 am

Gigi830 wrote:
He is not religious at all (super Atheist, and I'm Agnostic) and like I said he's an Aspie (as am I), so going to AA/Al-anon and praying and discussing stuff with a big group of strangers sounds like a bad idea.

AA isn't church, and there is an entire chapter in the "Big Book" (the nickname for the book that gave the fellowship it's name, Alcoholics Anonymous) for Agnostics. That effectively covers atheists too. I wasn't a believer either when I started going, and I've only "improved" to the point of believing that there is some sort of "god" out there, but who or what that is? I have no idea, nor do I care. That's not the point, believing is.

As far as the religious/secular angle, I spent some time in Georgia and found that while many people in the south do tend to have stronger religious beliefs, it tends to make people much more compassionate and understanding than I've experienced in the north. I see it as a more "live and let live" atmosphere, as they certainly tolerated my meltdowns a great deal more (disappearing into solitude for weeks at a time.)

Being around people and talking about stuff? Yeah, that might not sound very fun, and even after being in AA for nearly 20 years, I still have moments where I'd rather just pass and listen than share. That's perfectly fine to do, as I was so messed up when I sobered up (at the age of 16) that I could barely get 2 words out of my mouth. It took 4 years of going before I really broke through and starting sharing.

The 12 steps of AA are a form of cognitive behavioural therapy, so in that regard, I've been doing things that have helped improve my AS since before AS was even officially recognized! While going is completely voluntary, being part of AA forced me to interact with people in a way that's helped my people skills considerably. People tend to pick a group that they like, and go to that meeting however often it meets (daily, 2x a week, weekly, etc), so you start to get to know those "strangers" after a while. It's a little bit easier to get to know NT's this way, as they often TELL you how they're feeling and what they're thinking.

Overall, yeah it's a pain in the ass in the beginning, but the help and sobriety it's given me over the years has been priceless.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2011, 10:37 pm

Gigi830 wrote:

My husband and I both have Asperger's. However we deal with stress very differently. I tend to have meltdowns and he tends to shut off completely. I tend to NOT like to drink, especially when stressed because I don't like the out of control feeling or clouding my thinking (I mean, I'm already clouded up with the feelings when I'm having a stress-meltdown anyway). He however is either an alcoholic or at least almost one.

He has had alcohol problems off and on since I don't even know when. We have had many discussions about it, I have given ultimatums (when I was desperate), we have even broken up over it (although that was long, long ago). He always goes on the wagon for awhile but at the 1st sign of stress he starts again; usually small and then it goes out of control quickly. He isn't a violent drunk, but that isn't the point. He doesn't act like himself, he doesn't even talk the same and it freaks me out. Also it is effecting his health. Most importantly we have children (1 toddler, 1 on the way). He hasn't been drunk like this since before our son was born, but the last couple weeks I have seen signs he is drinking again. He STINKS of it, he is often passed out/sleeping during the day (he works from home often), and I am finding glasses with wine residue around the house. I think he is hiding most of the sources. I can't find them anywhere so they must be in weird places so I won't find them (he doesn't want to worry me/ piss me off again). I don't get it because he is OBVIOUSLY wasted- he stinks of it, in fact the whole house does! Why bother hiding it? I'm obviously going to find out, I'm not 5 years old.

Anyway, my problem is I really need to nip this in the bud once and for all. I'm thinking I wait until he sobers up and then have a mellow, but serious talk about it. However I have done this before and while it works in the short term it doesn't work all the way. His problem seems to stem from work stress. When he is having a lot of it that's when he tends to drink.

he usually drinks all the bottle, glass after glass, then I find him even drunker later in the morning. He obviously buys MORE than just that bottle and hides the rest. I am trying to be caring and understanding but it's pretty offensive. More importantly it's scary and worrisome. This CAN'T be good for him and he's been having health issues (blackouts, although he actually WASN'T drunk when he had the 2 he did; tension headaches, tingling in extremities, bathroom "accidents"- although that's usually when he IS drunk and it's not IN the bathroom but wherever he is passed out)

I know he needs pro help. Me telling him is obviously not enough. I just want things to be functional and I can't function when I'm freaked out or when he is totally unavailable (it's one thing to be unreachable, it's another to be wasted out of your head, unable to even take care of yourself). He is not religious at all (super Atheist, and I'm Agnostic) and like I said he's an Aspie (as am I), so going to AA/Al-anon and praying and discussing stuff with a big group of strangers sounds like a bad idea. Couples counseling? Private counseling? He has gone to counseling before for general emotional therapy (that's how he ended up finding out he has AS), so he is a "believer" in that to a point. I'm just concerned he won't be honest in the private counseling or that he won't even go.

I have looked up stuff online and it seems everyone has different advice: confront him with evidence (used to do that, but he hides it now so I can't. And besides, it didn't work), leave him (he is my family and a wonderful person, he's just sick a small fraction of the time- I want to deal with the sickness, not throw him away :( ), stop talking about what HE needs to do and talk about what I need to do (I don't even know what that is supposed to mean- the person talked about Al-anon and like I said I don't think that is really for me- maybe counseling?)...Anyone have any other advice for confronting him/getting help to knock this for good, maybe some that takes our Aspie nature into consideration?

Thanks for reading this.

It sounds very much like you are describing me, and my past relationships with alcohol. I went through 4 years (age 20-24) of drinking nearly 1/2 the nights. I have little to say about it now other than it is a terrible idea for anyone with Autism, and it's a long-term low, disguised as a short-term high. A constricting, blunted high, at that. It's a terrible, dreary substance that is a very one-trick pony.

I have used my ability to cultivate healthy habits - daily cardio exercise helps to wash out stress hormones like cortisol. There is an underlying emotional discomfort behind every addiction (in truth, no substance by itself is inherently addictive, it takes 2 to tango), and so I found there is an important path of self-discovery that must be walked in order to begin long-term recovery, from alcoholism, depression, anxiety. Often related to a control issue, that must be relinquished.

There are also several herbs I have been using to encourage my body to adapt to stress, and reject unhealthy substances. The supplements effective for me were Cordyceps, Rhodiola, Ashwagandha, and Shilajit. They are all adaptogenic in nature and increase stress tolerance as well as mental strength and capacities. The Cordyceps actually makes me nauseous when thinking about drinking alcohol again - for me, it literally deters alcohol cravings with a dislike reflex. Take mornings and evenings on an empty stomach.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.