Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 10:31 pm

what food can people eat when they have digestion issues?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 11:25 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

I heard oatmeal and corn flakes can be helpful.Yogurt could work.Some people eat white bread because they cant handle whole grain because of their stomachs.I would stay away from spicy food,fried food, and cokes if you have digestive trouble.I hope you get feeling better.Have you thought about seeing a gastroenterologist?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 4:02 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Bread, mostly.  Maybe a little cheese, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 8:32 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

I heard oatmeal and corn flakes can be helpful.Yogurt could work.Some people eat white bread because they cant handle whole grain because of their stomachs.I would stay away from spicy food,fried food, and cokes if you have digestive trouble.I hope you get feeling better.Have you thought about seeing a gastroenterologist?

I heard the opposite - that brown bread is more digestible because of it being less processed than white bread?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 7:36 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

I heard the opposite - that brown bread is more digestible because of it being less processed than white bread?

Maybe it depends on the person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 10:20 pm

It depends what you mean by "digestion" problems. Are you going too much, not enough, or having pain? Nausea? Different problems have different needs.

If you're referring to going too often, they usually recommend the BRAT diet short term.

That's bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 10:34 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

My understanding is that brown bread is less digestible, in particular fibre is what we can't digest.

Beyond that, one of the problems with overly processed food is that it's too easy to digest and that this can contribute to disrupting the gut microbiome and further problems stemming from that.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 11:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

My understanding is that brown bread is less digestible, in particular fibre is what we can't digest.

Beyond that, one of the problems with overly processed food is that it's too easy to digest and that this can contribute to disrupting the gut microbiome and further problems stemming from that.

Oh okay.Ya I also have heard that white bread is suggested for people with specific digestive problems.Some people with digestive issues are put on the low residue diet.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It depends what you mean by "digestion" problems. Are you going too much, not enough, or having pain? Nausea? Different problems have different needs.

If you're referring to going too often, they usually recommend the BRAT diet short term.

That's bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

When I had a bad stomach infection years ago, I subsisted purely on yogurt for nearly a month. I felt pretty good, but it was terrible for my health and I lost about 20#.

As you indicate the BRAT diet is a short term thing and is not intended to be nutritionally sound, it's more or less just things that folks are able to keep down, presumably while the stomach and digestive track heal enough for a more complete diet.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Nobody can digest most fiber. It's in the diet mostly as a way of cleaning the body. Insoluble fiber mostly cleans out the large intestine and soluble fiber helps clean out the cardiovascular system.

It's definitely not a good idea to radically increase it as the body, and the related bacteria, that are supposed to deal with it do need time to adjust.