Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 5:03 pm

I have a question for the Vegans and Vegetarians on this list. I know that most protein comes from eating meat, but obviously those in these classes don't eat meat. Do you track your protein, trying to make sure you get non-meat sources in every day-or do you just eat however you want and let it go at that?

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2024, 4:00 pm

Tofu, edamame, lentils, beans, peas, protein powders/bars/shakes, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, whole wheat pasta.

I don't think tracking protein/macros is necessarily a vegan vs. non-vegan thing. Some people are very health conscious or trying to reach particular goals. Some people just focus on eating a healthy diet and don't obsess over the numbers.

If you are trying to be a bodybuilder or athlete, you should track protein. But for the average person, assuming you're eating nutritious foods, you probably don't need to count religiously.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering because many websites I have seen on nutrition say that Americans get more than enough protein, and I was thinking how do non-meat eaters get all of this protein, and do they purposefully have to eat some of these non-meat sources? Or do they eat many of these sources because they truly like them?

I am a quasi-vegetarian (if there is some a term) in that I don't eat meat most of the time but I don't avoid it either. I just don't like it all that much and it is expensive compared to other foods, at least if you want fairly lean meat. I have had some injuries recently and have had a couple of people suggest it might be due to not eating enough protein. I don't seek out protein sources and just kind of ate whatever I wanted that was fairly cheap-usually rice and vegetable.

I have started eating protein powder for lunch as I try to heal up a broken foot. I was just surprised that the average American gets so much protein. I guess they eat meat a lot.