Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 9:56 pm

There was some obscure Bernard Berenson quote I found,about the difference between living and existing. He said he didn't want to live any longer after he had lost passion and love for life,he wanted to die and not merely exist for many years. Think of millions who have just sat in chairs,in care homes, for decades with no passion or stimulation, kept alive by not much ,it must be one of most least satisfying existences possible. Why do we live,and what do we live for,what spurs us on? If we all had a significant cause or purpose or goal intended since our adolescence,and worked actively throughout our lives towards it,I think our lives would so much more fulfilling to us.
I am not scared of death or old age; I am scared by thought of an old age of disenchantment,of detachment,of lack of passion.Yet billions have existed without it.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 8:59 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Wanting immortality and eternal youth is the most selfish thing one could want.

finding the means for it would also cause ecological and societal problems as well. Seems Im gonna have to put a stop to that scientist sometime...

so how exactly is wanting to never die selfish? personally i hate death as a whole and i believe its more selfish to want everyone's life to end, and by finding a way to keep everyone in the world alive forever thats the most selfless thing i have ever heard of

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:07 am

TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

finding the means for it would also cause ecological and societal problems as well. Seems Im gonna have to put a stop to that scientist sometime...

so how exactly is wanting to never die selfish? personally i hate death as a whole and i believe its more selfish to want everyone's life to end, and by finding a way to keep everyone in the world alive forever thats the most selfless thing i have ever heard of

Riight, until the earth becomes over-run by people. :roll:

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:10 am

Mackica wrote:
There was some obscure Bernard Berenson quote I found,about the difference between living and existing. He said he didn't want to live any longer after he had lost passion and love for life,he wanted to die and not merely exist for many years. Think of millions who have just sat in chairs,in care homes, for decades with no passion or stimulation, kept alive by not much ,it must be one of most least satisfying existences possible. Why do we live,and what do we live for,what spurs us on? If we all had a significant cause or purpose or goal intended since our adolescence,and worked actively throughout our lives towards it,I think our lives would so much more fulfilling to us.
I am not scared of death or old age; I am scared by thought of an old age of disenchantment,of detachment,of lack of passion.Yet billions have existed without it.

well billions have no cause because they wont live long enough to find one

life wont get boring in a million years just think of all the technology i mean today we are on the verge of humans going to Alpha Centauri from what is currently 100,000 year trip to only a 50-60 year trip using a fuel known as AntiMatter Catalyzed Nuclear Pulse Propulsion(originally conceived in the 50s by physicist and mathematician Freeman Dyson and originally called Project Orion if your interested in researching it)

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 9:11 am

TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

You do realise there's a cycle to life? My parents will be dead soon to make way for the next generation, I'll be dead in around 40 years, and so on. If you see birth as a positive thing, which I very much do then you have to see death also as a positive thing.
I'm perfectly happy to die when I'm 70 or 80, and see young people as more important than myself.

Did you know that if no one in the history of humanity died there'd be no room to stand?

It's profoundly selfish.

Last edited by montjuic on 23 Feb 2011, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:12 am

emlion wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

well lets think look at how much more billions of people the earth can hold? by the time we even have to worry about it we would have already colonized other planets and if the universe is infinite as scientists theorize(we do know that planets can die and be created naturally through the course of time) then we can theoretically forever expand

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:16 am

montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

You do realise there's a cycle to life? My parents will be dead soon to make way for the next generation, I'll be dead in around 40 years, and so on. If you see birth as a positive thing, which I very much do then you have to see death also as a positive thing.
I'm perfectly happy to die when I'm 70 or 80, and see young people as more important than myself.

Did you know that if no one in the history of humanity died there'd be no room to stand?

It's profoundly selfish.

Aubrey De Grey is one of my scientific influences and i agree with him that dying is pretty pointless though its not really dying that i care about its mainly dying by aging i dont want that to happen because its a seemingly impossible enemy that you cant even see thankfully i still have at least 80+ years to do something about it

but another noteworthy concern is we dont have enough time i mean most of the richest people in the world are pretty old when their careers finally start going somewhere you dont have enough time with the few measly decades nature granted us

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 9:18 am

TheKing wrote:
emlion wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

well lets think look at how much more billions of people the earth can hold? by the time we even have to worry about it we would have already colonized other planets and if the universe is infinite as scientists theorize(we do know that planets can die and be created naturally through the course of time) then we can theoretically forever expand

well that's a bit like saying 'I'm going to buy 50 elephants because I might own a zoo in the future'

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 9:22 am

TheKing wrote:
montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

It's profoundly selfish.

Aubrey De Grey is one of my scientific influences and i agree with him that dying is pretty pointless though its not really dying that i care about its mainly dying by aging i dont want that to happen because its a seemingly impossible enemy that you cant even see thankfully i still have at least 80+ years to do something about it

but another noteworthy concern is we dont have enough time i mean most of the richest people in the world are pretty old when their careers finally start going somewhere you dont have enough time with the few measly decades nature granted us

I don't mean to patronise but I hope your perspective is different when you're a little older.
Death is a very good thing, just as positive as birth, the world runs on it.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:23 am

kx250rider wrote:
I wouldn't want to live forever because it's not "part of the plan". But I DO want to stay young & healthy so long as I shall live. That's within our power to do so, in many ways. We can't control disease and natural things that happen as we age, but we can stay in excellent physical condition to the BEST OF OUR ABILITY, eat well, and never get lazy. That's all 100% within our control. And by that, we are much LESS LIKELY to get diabetes, heart problems, obese, or other things that CAN result from careless behavior. I do acknowledge that there are cases where a person is stricken with conditions or an accident, whereby that's not easy or possible. But for those not stricken, it IS possible. I'm going to be 44 next month, and I can outlift, outswim, outrun, (and outdo in many other ways), most high school & college athletes. I don't drink, smoke, use drugs, or sit around, and I don't eat junk. I can easily pass for a college football player with my shirt off, as long as there's a bag over my Over-40 face, LOL...

I intend to die in my sleep at age 100-something after a motocross race or after a weightlifting competition.

Charles

part of whose plan? yours? or someone elses? no one should have to die

why die in your sleep at 100 like a helpless child or prisoner when you can die on your feet like a human(personally i enjoyed the way Chewie died, with his fists raised in defiance as a moon came crashing down on him; i hate that he died he was one of my favorites) during a motocross race or not at all?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:25 am

montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

It's profoundly selfish.

I don't mean to patronise but I hope your perspective is different when you're a little older.

no thats what you have come to accept because you have accepted death as natural even though some animals are biologically immortal there is nothing good about death

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:27 am

Of course there's good about death.
I don't want to live to be old and helpless.
The circle of life and all that.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:29 am

montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

It's profoundly selfish.

and honestly even just being able to still be youthful in the triple digits would be enough for me though i still would prefer just not aging at all i mean its not like its impossible i mean in November Harvard Scientists accelerated and reversed the aging process of lab rats, cant be applied to humans yet because humans could possibly get massive cancers but that proves aging can be manipulated(i have a topic about this already in the PPR forum, thinking i probably should have placed it here but wasnt too sure)

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:31 am

emlion wrote:
Of course there's good about death.
I don't want to live to be old and helpless.
The circle of life and all that.

yes but as i pointed out while you were posting this(im kinda a slow typer) cancer is the only major obstacle in reversing aging(and one day stopping it; if it can be reversed and accelerated it can be stopped) today

so you wont be old and helpless

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

TheKing wrote:
there is nothing good about death

really? so you don't think that the fact you have food to eat, or furniture to sit on or pretty much anything else you use in your life is a good thing?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:43 am

montjuic wrote:
TheKing wrote:
there is nothing good about death

really? so you don't think that the fact you have food to eat, or furniture to sit on or pretty much anything else you use in your life is a good thing?

i never said anything about that

personally im addicted to meat its my drug hell im even on the Atwater FFA Chapter Meat Judging Team where we judge and grade cuts of meat and carcasses i love my team im hoping we go to nationals my coach said if we do we get to keep our hardhats and decorate them!