Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

28 Sep 2012, 2:32 pm

I've noticed that all across the internets(especially on FB, the Okcupid forums, and of course on Yahoo!)people keep posting threads, messages, and updates about anything and everything to do with the NFL season. So what is it about Fartball[which most of America refers to as "football" even though the feet are almost never used]that is so "all-american" as opposed to Baseball? Or better yet Basketball, a sport that is truly indigenous to the US??? Fartball is actually a bastardization of rugby, a "thugs game played by gentlement". The rest of the world likes football("soccer" in americanese) which like rugby was invented in England. Discuss...

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:01 pm

LOL.

Even as an American, I never understood the fascination with it either. Probably doesn't help that my local NFL team has a reputation for being not so good. I'm generally apathetic towards team sports in general, even though if I was to be forced to watch one and actually like it it would be hockey because I don't find it as boring to watch.

But yeah, a lot of places are totally infested with NFL talk as of late. Why? Because of the whole ref lockout bargaining situation as of late (there were replacement refs, and because of a missed call, the other team won the game when they apparently shouldn't have). I knew about this because of a few (american) football fans chose to blow up my twitter feed with fury over the call like an atom bomb went off in their mouths. I was literally logged in unfortunately when this whole shitfest went down. Now the real refs are back in, hopefully I won't have to hear about crazy sports fans being so incredibly pissed off and b*tching at the whole wide world about it.

And I agree with you. Baseball and Basketball (especially) are the more American sports to me anyway. If you look at a lot of American culture though, if it's not stuff that was original to here, most of it's bastardizations of something from elsewhere. And people here are too ignorant to know otherwise. It's the sad truth. Not just regarding "Fartball" but America in general.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

These sports are seasonal. They are talking about it because it is Fall- the season runs from September through the end of January, culminating in the Superbowl. In the Spring they will talk about basketball (culminating in March Madness) and in the Summer they will talk about baseball (culminating in the World Series).

Every season has its' own sport.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

We here in Seattle are tickled pink over this referee sham business because it involved us. I like football because it's like watching a chess board come alive. In a sense, chess is a brutal game, but it's also a precise, difficult and intellectual game with lots of possibilities, moves, rules and so on. Football is the same.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
I've noticed that all across the internets(especially on FB, the Okcupid forums, and of course on Yahoo!)people keep posting threads, messages, and updates about anything and everything to do with the NFL season. So what is it about Fartball[which most of America refers to as "football" even though the feet are almost never used]that is so "all-american" as opposed to Baseball? Or better yet Basketball, a sport that is truly indigenous to the US??? Fartball is actually a bastardization of rugby, a "thugs game played by gentlement". The rest of the world likes football("soccer" in americanese) which like rugby was invented in England. Discuss...

If you're going to call it correctly, then call it Handegg... :wink: * just kidding * In all seriousiness, I don't care about the NFL since I'm a bigger hockey fan than anything else. * can't watch it right now because of a lockout :x * As for Baseball have you seen a game? It's a three hour ordeal granted so are the others, but baseball takes so long because every player takes forever to get ready.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
We here in Seattle are tickled pink over this referee sham business because it involved us. I like football because it's like watching a chess board come alive. In a sense, chess is a brutal game, but it's also a precise, difficult and intellectual game with lots of possibilities, moves, rules and so on. Football is the same.

This.

I play for my HS team btw, and I dig hockey as well, though I've played soccer since I was 7.

28 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

If you're going to call it correctly, then call it Handegg... :wink: * just kidding * In all seriousiness, I don't care about the NFL since I'm a bigger hockey fan than anything else. * can't watch it right now because of a lockout :x * As for Baseball have you seen a game? It's a three hour ordeal granted so are the others, but baseball takes so long because every player takes forever to get ready.

Baseball is boring as hell. Never understood why upper middle class white liberals enjoy it so much. I can't believe my home town of Seattle gave up its legendary basketball team. Which was actually its only winning pro sports team(other than the Sounders). I'm sure that Fartball is fun to play but it's still a pretty dumb sport.....And EXTREMELY low class.

Curlywurly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2012, 6:24 pm

There are many aspects of American culture I enjoy but (American) football is not one of them. Saying that, I'm not a fan of rugby either. Football (soccer) is tolerable to watch but only if it's an international game such as the World Cup; league games are boring. The only sports I can actually enjoy watching are snooker or cricket.. neither of which are at all popular in America.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm

It's one of my favorite sports, to tell ya the truth. One of the most exciting to watch, IMO. I am a Seahawks fan, FYI. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

I don't get it either but I never liked any sports at all. I've been called gay a few times for saying I didn't like football but I can not comprehended why a guy bending over & making a football appear & a bunch of guys jumping on top of other guys is more straight than a guy not liking it
:scratch:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

29 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't get it either but I never liked any sports at all. I've been called gay a few times for saying I didn't like football but I can not comprehended why a guy bending over & making a football appear & a bunch of guys jumping on top of other guys is more straight than a guy not liking it

It is not straight for a guy to like it at all. That's what dumb-ass amurcan fartball fanatics don't seem to understand: That "american football" is GAY :!:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:26 am

nick007 wrote:

People think figure skating's gay, but there's a ton of girls around you all the time while figure skating. Seriously, go to any rink, it's like 10 girls per one guy that figure skates. It's not my main incentive for the sport, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of that fact. But oh well, figure skating is so gay, right?

Anyway, I don't have too much of a dislike for football except for the fact it arguably steals most of successful Olympic lifting talent in USA, and US can then never send anyone to the Olympics for weightlifting. I don't really find football interesting either, I used to as a kid, but I had a bad experience with football league as a kid and then decided I hated football forever. Now the hate's just turned to indifference. There's some pretty athletic football players, though, I must admit.

For team sports, I like baseball. I watched the World Baseball Classic a few years ago, was a crazy set of games. I find it odd that for the most part America doesn't care about sports on the world stage, and care more about American sports played by American teams. I went around like "Hey, you watch the World Baseball Classic?" "No." It's the WORLD championship, people. Wtf, right?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Baseball is boring as hell. Never understood why upper middle class white liberals enjoy it so much. I can't believe my home town of Seattle gave up its legendary basketball team. Which was actually its only winning pro sports team(other than the Sounders). I'm sure that Fartball is fun to play but it's still a pretty dumb sport.....And EXTREMELY low class.

All the popular spectator sports are boring as hell.