Am I hallucinating about smells after eating?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:55 pm

I have noticed that for quite a few years now that sometimes right after I have eaten something that has a lot of melted cheese like pizza or something buttery like popcorn, I can smell a stinky cheese-like odor that comes and goes for hours afterwards. I used to think the smell was coming from me and I'd take a bath or put on something scented, but it wouldn't really work and I don't think other people can smell it because one time I told my mother about after we went out for pizza one time and she said she couldn't smell anything off from me. Last night I just happened to find info on Wiki about this and they say it's a hallucination and usually affects people who are psychotic or have brain tumors and other scary stuff. It said people suffering from depression may find all foods smell and taste terrible when they really don't. So am I hallucinating about the odors, and why does it only come from after eating certain foods? Could this be part of Asperger's or could I really have schizophrenia or something really wrong with my brain? I have a hole in my right eardrum, could that have something to do with it?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 6:05 pm

I don't eat cheese so this particular problem wouldn't affect me.

And my sense of smell got really bad after a case of the flu in the mid 1980s. It seems to have improved somewhat since then, but it is still not good.

One thing I have noticed is that I can often smell strange things on occasion. I've always just assumed this to be kind of like the phantom limb sensations except in my case it is from that time I had the flu and lost most of my sense of smell.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 7:05 pm

I think it could possibly be a sensory issue, I have times when almost any smell is absolutely disgusting to me, especially foods. Luckily it is not this bad all of the time or I would probably stay in my room forever. Maybe you have a very keen sense of smell and detect things that others do not notice.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 7:09 pm

i get that, i just assumed that it is something in the cheese that gets into the oils of the skin when digested.

i read somewhere that to non dairy consumers people who do consume dairy smell like off milk. to me it's exactly that smell. (i don't eat dairy everyday but fairly often have a lot)