Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

I was wondering, is anybody else into this? I've been training for a bit, so I'm just curious.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 7:50 pm

I'd love to do it, but I'm afraid I'd just faceplant into everything. Post a video of yourself if you get one. I love the people in the movie "Paul Blart Mall Cop".

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 10:24 am

GreyGirl wrote:
I'd love to do it, but I'm afraid I'd just faceplant into everything. Post a video of yourself if you get one. I love the people in the movie "Paul Blart Mall Cop".
Pretty much I'm just starting out, so it wouldn't be anything fancy for a while. Mostly I'd just be doing practice rolls. :D

Also you'd be surprised that I'm afraid of doing a faceplant too. :wink:
Pretty much it is drilled into beginners to learn and to keep practicing rolls first before they do any of the other stuff. These control how a person falls and helps reduce the chance of injury should they wind up slipping. They are kind of fun actually, as I found a good technique on one where your head doesn't even touch the ground (which I love, since bonking my head even on a mat for ti kwon do made me never like doing them.)

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2012, 4:15 am

Being older, I can only do semi parkour but I want to see more too. Because regular running is just so boring.

I must have been born 20 years too early. I have this same problem with snowboarding, it did not exist when I was young and I might be too old for it now but I like it.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 9:40 pm

BobinPgh wrote:
Being older, I can only do semi parkour but I want to see more too. Because regular running is just so boring.

I must have been born 20 years too early. I have this same problem with snowboarding, it did not exist when I was young and I might be too old for it now but I like it.
I can do some of the rolls but it's a b***h on carpeted cement. I don't think you would be too old, I've seen some guys on a big parkour site starting in their 40s and 50s. It takes longer to get into shape, but it's doable. For me, I just don't have anyone to do it with. :(

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm

i was interested in going to a ninja warrior gym to get better at things like the quad steps and warped wall but i was too nervous

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:20 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
i was interested in going to a ninja warrior gym to get better at things like the quad steps and warped wall but i was too nervous
Is it socializing that makes you nervous or other stuff? I am hoping to attempt a trip to one of the parkour gyms (as soon as I get some transportation) but I'm afraid I'd become shy and get the giggle fits once I got there. :oops:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 2:07 am

I've been wanting to get into it for some time. There's a parkour group at UW, they carpool to jams in Cheyenne and Denver, but I didn't have the time to go with them the past few times. Might try again this summer though

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I've been wanting to get into it for some time. There's a parkour group at UW, they carpool to jams in Cheyenne and Denver, but I didn't have the time to go with them the past few times. Might try again this summer though
You're braver then I am :wink: Whenever I think of 'jams,' I'm guessing it's massively unstructured socializing where people get together and do parkour um... 'stuff.' That makes me nervous, since likely they would be talking a lot and probably goofing off, while I'd just feel like an outside observer.

I practiced a bit of the rolls, the ground ones seem pretty easy and even the ones from half-stance (not quite kneeling, not quite standing) but I get a few bruises from my apartment's carpeted cement flooring. On most of the videos they say to do it in such a way that your head doesn't touch the ground, some good tutorials on this come from Ryan Doyle on Youtube, he shows how to do a good technique.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 2:47 pm

I can't do rolls on hard surfaces yet. The closest I can get is the ground after a dry, cold day, and even then that hurts. I guess I haven't quite mastered that technique yet.

This is kind of why I want to go with the group to the gyms in Cheyenne and Denver, so I can perfect my skills and get my nerves under control in an optimal environment.

That said, the Vedawoo area east of town is perfect for "natural parkour" aka parkour in a wilderness setting. I went with WYPK once to Turtle Rock and we freeclimbed all the way to the top, it was easy because the natural rock formations provide plenty of ways to manuver, and there are no sheer cliffs to climb, just scrambling over the smaller boulders and wallmounting the big ones.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

I was thinking I might have to do 'natural parkour' myself, since there are very few city areas close by. I had asked someone on a parkour forum how to get around the issue of getting bruised when rolling on hard surfaces and he said to wear clothes that were thicker or several layers of them, as it provides a bit more padding. I mostly get bruises on my shoulders and a part of the right hip, but hopefully I can lessen those by wearing extra layers.

I was wondering, does your area have an issue with deer ticks? My area does, and I was thinking in order to practice in these places I might have to go for the old time technique of wearing hoodies and sweat pants wrapped with duct tape. Not only for the ticks, but because we have areas overrun with the pest species of wild roses, which will catch on anything not battened down.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
I was thinking I might have to do 'natural parkour' myself, since there are very few city areas close by. I had asked someone on a parkour forum how to get around the issue of getting bruised when rolling on hard surfaces and he said to wear clothes that were thicker or several layers of them, as it provides a bit more padding. I mostly get bruises on my shoulders and a part of the right hip, but hopefully I can lessen those by wearing extra layers.

I was wondering, does your area have an issue with deer ticks? My area does, and I was thinking in order to practice in these places I might have to go for the old time technique of wearing hoodies and sweat pants wrapped with duct tape. Not only for the ticks, but because we have areas overrun with the pest species of wild roses, which will catch on anything not battened down.

I'm sure we have some, but I've never had a problem with them since I moved here.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 6:04 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
Is it socializing that makes you nervous or other stuff? I am hoping to attempt a trip to one of the parkour gyms (as soon as I get some transportation) but I'm afraid I'd become shy and get the giggle fits once I got there. :oops:
i never like going anywhere for the first time to be honest lol. Also i dont want them to tell me to lose weight. Gaining weight and muscle is my top priority and i want to be able to do these stunts at a big bodyweight..because anyone could do this crap at 120 pounds lol. When i was 160 i could do one arm chin ups.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:

I'm sure we have some, but I've never had a problem with them since I moved here.
That's good. I don't know why we have such a large collection of them here, but it might be the large deer mouse population or something. They are a royal pain (the size of coffee grounds and easy to miss) but I don't mind dressing up funny if it means I don't get Lyme Disease. :wink:

wtfid2 wrote:
i never like going anywhere for the first time to be honest lol. Also i dont want them to tell me to lose weight. Gaining weight and muscle is my top priority and i want to be able to do these stunts at a big bodyweight..because anyone could do this crap at 120 pounds lol. When i was 160 i could do one arm chin ups.
It would be the same way with me too. Often I like going with someone to one of these places if it's my first time there, as it deflects some of the attention off of me. Otherwise I'd clam up once they start asking me questions LOL.

Also that would be weird if they would tell you to lose weight. I could understand if it was flab, but even in parkour I have heard of guys who were chunky and still got to do it. If it's muscle I'd assume they would be thrilled about it especially, as it looks more like you'd be in shape and try to stick with the training.

You could always ask them directly (or have someone ask for you) if they will be wanting you to lose weight even though it's muscle, or if it's not going to be an issue. My idea is kind of to treat these things like a band-aid, simply pull it off fast rather then have it drag on for a while and wondering about it. That way you have it out of the way and you'll know immediately. :wink:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 2:32 am

It looks difficult. I saw a video of a guy parkouring through the open window of a car. That looked really difficult.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 7:52 am

btbnnyr wrote:
It looks difficult. I saw a video of a guy parkouring through the open window of a car. That looked really difficult.
Wow, that's something I know I couldn't do right away. I'd love to get to that point one day though LOL :D