Is it possible to feel normal with asthma?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2015, 11:17 am

I ask this because after my diagnosis with asthma and allergies I was given allbuterol and singulair and I still feel like crap. My allergies seem to be under control, but my asthma is just driving me crazy. I can kinda sort of live with it, but it's bad enough that I find myself tired many days and even when I'm not tired, I still feel kinda bad. I have back pains. I have chest pain sometimes, too. The further into a day I get the more tired I am and the more tired I am the more pain I feel. I feel like there's some breathing congestion, but it's not the same as having a cold or allery congestions. I feel a little bit out of breath. According to the allergist's breathing tests, the singulair had to have done SOMETHING, because it said my breathing was normal. It certainly doesn't feel it and it drives me crazy. How the heck can it even be normal. Is it even possible I can feel normal again? Even if I am short of breath once in a while, it'd be great to at least FEEL like I can breath, so I can get on with my life.

On another note, I noticed that my strength and stamina are sapped, so it's hard to carry groceries home and I can barely carry anything home anymore without having to struggle and put things on the ground for a minute at every block. I CAN at least use a cart, but I'd like to not need it all the time.

Thanks to anyone reading.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jan 2015, 2:17 am

Could your inhaler be causing your pain. One of em causes my girlfriend to have pain if she uses it 2wice a day. Perhaps the inhaler or Singulair are making you tired; I'm on Singulair for allergies & it doesn't make me tired but you may not be the same.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:54 am

Singulair can make you feel tired.

Since your strength and stamina are badly affected it's worth discussing this with your doctor. It could be caused by your medicine or something else.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

Someone told me that the inhalers cause depression because they're steroids. Still sometimes I feel like I'm not breathing well, anyway. I'm ticked off that it seems that they're doing all they can and are supposed to, but I feel no real releif. Some days I feel a bit better and then other days my arms just feel like flopping around and I have almost no strength in them.

How the heck long is this supposed to last till I feel normal again. I keep hearing that asthma patients can lead normal lives. I feel like that's bull, because I've been like this since before November.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2015, 5:41 pm

I actually had one of the worst days ever. I've been feeling weak and sleepy the whole day almost and I had a meltdown, because someone mistakenly took the chicken I bought and was going to take home. Fortunately we figured out who and that it was a mistake, but After getting home I've been so down on myself and I haven't needed psych meds in months and now I feel just really really bad. I'm not even sure I've been this depressed before. I am little anxious, but mostly depressed.

Farnam
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2015, 5:51 pm

I have had asthma for the last 25 years, and most of the time I don't think about it at all. My biggest problem is remembering to take my inhalers. I am onSymbicort and Sabutamol twice a day. On paper I have severe asthma. Day to day, I feel absolutely fine.

If you are experiencing continued issues you need to see your asthma nurse for a medication review. But if that doesn't help, book an appointment with your doctor. Maybe asthma isn't the cause of these symptoms. I also have issues with anaemia, and when my blood count drops I feel exhausted, heavy limbed, and constantly short of breath. Sounds a little like what you are describing. But it's not my asthma causes that, it's a lack of red blood cells transporting oxygen.

But most of all, struggle through. 'Normal' does come back. You will feel well again.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2015, 6:05 pm

I did some more research to find that extreme tiredness is a side effect of symbicort, so I think I have my answer for that at least, but it's just going to be more of a long hard process figuring out what to do.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 1:48 am

Hey Darialan.

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure you're taking your asthma medications correctly? You could go to your pharmacy and mention the issues you're experiencing and see what the pharmacist says (after all, they're the drug experts). Ask the pharmacist to demonstrate how to use the inhalers, and observe if you're using it correctly. If you're still having issues like chest pains and congestion, then follow Farnam's advice and see your physician. He/she can switch you to another medication that'll help relieve your symptoms, but only if you take the initiative and mention what's been bothering you.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 3:14 am

Darialan wrote:
I did some more research to find that extreme tiredness is a side effect of symbicort, so I think I have my answer for that at least, but it's just going to be more of a long hard process figuring out what to do.

The Singulair that you are presently taking is quite different to the two ingredients in Symbicort.
The fact that you don't think your present medicine is working, along with possible side effects from it shows that it's time to discuss this with your doctor.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm

Maybe GERD (a.k.a. acid reflux disease)? It can cause asthma-like symptoms while the breathing tests will show normal. Basically, it's famous for causing a burning sensation, but the sensation in GERD is not always a burning one; it can sometimes just be simple pain. GERD can also make you feel tired. And when the acid starts getting to the top of the esophagus you can feel out of breath as the lungs react to try to prevent the acid from entering.

Try taking an OTC acid reflux disease pill and maybe that can help. For acute symptoms, try Pepto-Bismol.

If neither works, talk to your doctor.

EDIT: Also, when you have the pain, tiredness, and difficulty breathing, is your throat sore? If yes, then it probably is GERD as the acid starts to irritate the throat. If no, then possibly asthma, as asthma I don't believe usually causes sore throat.

EDIT 2: Also, do you sometimes "burp" up acid? If yes, that is an indicator for GERD.

Now I want to clarify: You can have both asthma and GERD, so I wouldn't stop your asthma medicines without talking to your doctor. In fact, I believe most people with asthma also have GERD, so you may want to try to get your doctor to look at that.

RegularJohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2015, 5:40 am

Hello,

Severe Persistent Asthmatic chiming in.

Are you only on Alburerol as your inhaler? Albuterol is not a corticosteroid, it's a bronchodilator, but it may be causing side effects. Okay, I'm reading down as I type. You're on Symbicort, which is a corticosteroid + Long Acting Bronchodilator combo inhaler, I'm on it too, have been for years. Yes, these inhalers can cause tiredness and mood problems in some. Someone mentioned if you are taking your inhaler correctly. Inhaler technique can definitely be a problem for some. Check with your doctor on proper technique. Do you use a spacer. Spacers are devices that help get inhaled medicine deeper into your lungs. I have nearly perfect technique, but a spacer helps the medicine work more. Just for times sake, have a look on youtube, for proper inhaler technique specific to the inhalers you use.

Singulair can make you tired, it's actually a common symptom. When do you take it? Many Allergic Asthmatics will take it at night a little bit before bed, because it can cause tiredness, and there is some speculation that it works better at night as well. You also mentioned your mood is dipping, mood problems/disorders are a side effect of Singulair too.

I suggest you discuss with your doctor or doctors about how you've been feeling since you were put on these drugs. There are different drugs that are the same type of drugs that you take, and they may be a better fit for you.

There are also different types of drugs that may give you more relief.

It sounds like you may need a change in meds.

Talk with your doctor as soon as possible and tell them everything you have been experiencing. Ask questions that you have. Do not stop taking your meds, unless instructed by your doctor. Trust me, you don't want to get any worse at breathing.

Last edited by RegularJohn on 24 Jan 2015, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RegularJohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2015, 5:47 am

GERD or Silent Reflux can mimic asthma symptoms too. I have both, some of the reflux may be caused by my asthma meds, diet, lifestyle, and so on.. If you experience stomach problems, burning sensation in your chest or throat, scratchy or itchy throat issues you could be experiencing reflux.

For chronic refluxers, TUMS or something like it is usually not enough. Many chronic refluxers require h2 blockers (think ranitidine) I forget the brand name but you can buy it in stores, or Proton Pump Inhibitors, like Omeprazole. You can get these from the store, from your doctor, and there are also stronger versions of meds you can get from a doctor.