Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 10:28 pm

Can a frozen meal be healthy?

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2017, 10:34 pm

There are some healthy frozen meals out there. It's important to check the nutritional information, as many of them have a lot of sodium even though they seem to be healthy.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 11:06 pm

I guess it can be fairly healthy if it includes a portion of veg,but most don't. I buy Wiltshire farm food meals from time to time. They are more expensive but do include a portion of veg.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 3:36 pm

I buy Weight Watcher & Lean Cruise, I also buy waffles for breakfast. I used to buy MorningStar Veggie meals. Once I brought Jimmy Dean, but I think it bad.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 8:34 pm

Most are unhealthy, loaded with WAY too much added sugar, salt and questionable ingredients, including those that try to market themselves as healthy.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 12:46 am

Yes. Frozen veggies are just as nutritious as fresh veggies.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:32 am

None of these are as healthy as claimed. You are better off eating raw lettuce, raw tomatoes, raw cucumbers, raw fruits, potatoes need to be cooked (but potatoes are cheap for how many of them you can get and they do not spoil nearly as quickly as the more watery vegetables), you can get a slow-cooker if you're not comfortable with cooking your own food on the stove in the kitchen, and most meats from the stores should be avoided.

I wouldn't trust most if any meat unless it comes from a natural organic-farm... directly. Basically, unless you're getting your food directly from a Mennonite community, beware of the claims that are advertised. Also, you will want supplements, such as Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and don't forget that certain types of Vitamins also need activator Vitamins/Enzymes, such as Vitamin A in order to activate Vitamin K, etc. Stay healthy !

Kitty4670 wrote:
I buy Weight Watcher & Lean Cruise, I also buy waffles for breakfast. I used to buy MorningStar Veggie meals. Once I brought Jimmy Dean, but I think it bad.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:41 am

No. Frozen meals sold in stores are unhealthy.

They're made from cheap quality ingredients. Usually they are full of sugar, salt and hard-to-digest additives made by chemists.

If you make a meal yourself and freeze the leftovers that is different. It can be healthy.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 4:45 pm

I think alot of frozen meals are unhealthy, but if you pick the right one then it would be ok. I don't cook, the heat from the stove can make me sick & the kitchen light is too much too.

Years ago I did lose 60 lbs. I also exercise alot & went crazy at the gym.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

Could you open a window in the kitchen or put a fan in there to keep cooler?

You could use candles instead of a light.

gilagiraffe
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

I like to make my own frozen dinners. I make big batches of food, dish them up and stick them in the freezer. That way I know exactly how it was made and what's in them. It's also cheaper in the long run and much better for you.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 6:41 pm

maybe you can't find someone who make frozen food for you? where I live there is some places like this, it's sort of like home-made food so it's more healthy, often they sell like weak meal plans.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
maybe you can't find someone who make frozen food for you? where I live there is some places like this, it's sort of like home-made food so it's more healthy, often they sell like weak meal plans.

They do have a website for ordering meals, but I think it's expensive.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 11:39 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

They do have a website for ordering meals, but I think it's expensive.

Maybe there isn't some people advertising in facebook groups or something like? Like a less official thing, like someone who cooks to herself and decide to sell it to get a bit of extra money.

Don't you have any relative who can maybe make a batch of food to you and then you freeze? I think you can do it even monthly, depends on the food/your storage space.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 5:37 pm

Yes. Especially if you make them yourself.

Besides that though...
Amy's Kitchen is pretty good. Artisan Bistro is pretty good too- I haven't seen them for sale locally in a while though. I hope they didn't go out of business. There's nothing at all wrong with buying flash frozen vegetables or frozen wild salmon and then preparing those either. Frozen chicken can be trickier to buy, like buying fresh chicken- venders like to pump live and dead chickens full of all kinds of additives.

Evol- not bad for you and pretty tasty, but not the right choice if your'e more than mildly hungry.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:40 am

Frozen meals are typically less bad for you than refrigerated ready-made meals, since the frozen ones don't need all the preservatives.

There is nothing inherent about freezing a meal (and later reheating it) that makes it less healthy than a fresh one (and sometimes, they are better, since if the ingredients are frozen fresh, they are fresher than unfrozen ones).
However, make sure to check the ingredients, since premade meals are often made quickly and cheaply, with sh***y ingredients...