Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 1:25 pm

I need help. What vitamins are the best. Can someone help me?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jun 2018, 6:30 pm

Different vitamins are better for dealing with different things so it depends on what health issues your trying to treat

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm

Most vitamins are probably pretty useless. You get what you need from diet.

There are some recent reports of some B vitamins that may reduce your risk of heart disease and strokes.

Lots of people taking high doses of Vitamin C because of Linus Pauling's quack research on Vitamin C. From what I've read, Vitamin C somewhat increases your risk of getting cancer.

I take a Vitamin D nearly every day for the immune system. I don't actually know that it accomplishes much to do so.

I also take a Super B-Complex every other day that contains Vitamin C and some B Vitamins. The reason is because of some recent research reports of people being successfully treated for sepsis by receiving a large Vitamin C and Vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Corticosteroids. I talked about this with my doctor who agreed that it wouldn't hurt me and might actually help.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 3:14 am

kokopelli wrote:
Most vitamins are probably pretty useless. You get what you need from diet.

There are some recent reports of some B vitamins that may reduce your risk of heart disease and strokes.

Lots of people taking high doses of Vitamin C because of Linus Pauling's quack research on Vitamin C. From what I've read, Vitamin C somewhat increases your risk of getting cancer.

I take a Vitamin D nearly every day for the immune system. I don't actually know that it accomplishes much to do so.

I also take a Super B-Complex every other day that contains Vitamin C and some B Vitamins. The reason is because of some recent research reports of people being successfully treated for sepsis by receiving a large Vitamin C and Vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Corticosteroids. I talked about this with my doctor who agreed that it wouldn't hurt me and might actually help.

Most people actually don't get what they need from their diet at all.
Vitamin and mineral deficiency is svery common.

fromamegaverse
Raven
Raven

10 Jun 2018, 3:38 am

Everyone is unique therefore you should write symptoms down, show it to your doctor and they can guide you to what vitamins you may need.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

I thought people need vitamins to stay healthy like getting multivitamin.

fromamegaverse
Raven
Raven

10 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I thought people need vitamins to stay healthy like getting multivitamin.

Only some people do. it depends on your diet and how your body processes food. For instance, I've heard
that women on average tend to have iron deficiencies. But everyone is different and a doctor can help you get a blood test and determine with you the right course of action. Your doctor may just think your diet is sufficient enough.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 10:15 pm

I only take one-a-day vitamins for women. They seem to be the only adult multivitamins that don't make me nauseated. I worry a lot about not getting enough from my diet because I'm not eating several pounds of vegetables every day, but I also worry that my body is not absorbing and using the vitamins and it's a bunch a quackery to even be taking them in the first place. Vitamins are not cheap, and I really don't believe that they can prevent or treat any illness, but you're always hearing how we never get enough and it's a wonder we didn't die a long time ago, so... :roll:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I only take one-a-day vitamins for women. They seem to be the only adult multivitamins that don't make me nauseated. I worry a lot about not getting enough from my diet because I'm not eating several pounds of vegetables every day, but I also worry that my body is not absorbing and using the vitamins and it's a bunch a quackery to even be taking them in the first place. Vitamins are not cheap, and I really don't believe that they can prevent or treat any illness, but you're always hearing how we never get enough and it's a wonder we didn't die a long time ago, so... :roll:

I used to get one a day vitamins, I read those are bad. I bought centrum multigummies.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 11:11 pm

Don't take vitamins just for the hell of it. If you don't have symptoms and a medical professional hasn't told you that you have a vitamin deficiency, don't take vitamins. You could end up getting too much of some vitamin and causing a medical problem.

See a doctor if you have a genuine concern about being deficient and eat a varied diet with plenty of vegetables.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2018, 8:59 am

I use this resource for dietary nutrition and try to meet my needs from whole food sources. I supplement Omega-3 and vitamin D-3.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 12:16 pm

In general most people do not need to consume supplement vitamins because their body manufactures the vitamins they need from their food intake.

There are exceptions. When someone gets old in their 80's their body no longer performs this function well and they will sometimes get vitamin deficiencies.

Sometimes individuals with Autism/Aspies are picky eaters. Therefore they may be missing some essential food groups that can result in vitamin deficiencies. Here is a link to some research into this area. Vitamin supplements

Some people gain too much weight and undergo gastric bypass surgery to lose weight. This operation reroutes their stomach and prevents their body from converting food into the necessary vitamins. So they need to take vitamins for the remainder of their lives.

AspieLater
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2018, 6:23 am

FDC Nutri or Solgar are good brands for me. I used to thrive with Nature's Alive, but they aren't available where I live now.

I can distinctly feel a difference if I don't take vitamins. It may be because I take a proton pump inhibitor that is known to reduce the body's ability to absorb certain vitamins and minerals.