Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2008, 3:56 am

Come on guys, you know boxers do that to hype up the gate. Let's be honest, nobody wants to see two boxers over a cup of tea discussing their bout together. They want to see wars like Ali vs Frazier.

Usually after a fight is over, both boxer's praise each other. Mayweather is perfect example of this. People actually think the way he acts is for real. He stated nobody wants to see just some mild manner boxer on the verge of a big fight.

Like Ali. Ali biggest influence was a pro wrestler named Gorgouse George, who people loved to hate, and paid money to see him lose. In the end, doesn't matter if they pay to see you lose, the ticket still cost 3.50, or now a couple grand.

Like boxing, there's a face (good guy) and a heel (the guy people love to hate).

Recently there was a fight between Migul Cotto and Sugar Shane Mosley. And before the fight it was impossible to hype it up with those two guys. Cotto has the personality of a robot, and Sugar Shane is as mild mannered as you can get. So during the pre fight interview both just sitting there, relaxed, talking about what an "explosive" fight it's going to be.

That's why a lot people think fights during weigh-in are usually staged, which they likely are, to draw excitment for the fight.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 12:18 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Come on guys, you know boxers do that to hype up the gate.

Yeah, that's fair. In the current environment, you and I would probably do it, too.

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

31 Jan 2008, 11:59 am

My father used to do competitive boxing. He did so for 8 years. My mother teaches boxing as she is a personal trainer.
I can't help but become interested in it. I don't train or compete...but do like watching the matches.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 2:07 pm

regularguy wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:
Come on guys, you know boxers do that to hype up the gate.

Yeah, that's fair. In the current environment, you and I would probably do it, too.

Hey GrantZilla,

That just gave me an idea. How about having an Aspie boxers' world championship? :)

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 6:35 pm

That would be cool. I think be a cool way to show that us Aspies can still give a guy a boxing lesson, if get my drift. lol

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 6:50 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
That would be cool. I think be a cool way to show that us Aspies can still give a guy a boxing lesson, if get my drift. lol

Sure. Sign me up. I'm game.

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 7:03 pm

Cool, always good to have a Cruiserweight in the stable lol

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 7:14 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Cool, always good to have a Cruiserweight in the stable lol

Absolutely. And I know what you mean about giving the guy a boxing lesson. heh heh

Steve
--

Space
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 8:29 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

We should have an aspie fight team :)

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2008, 9:06 pm

Space wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

We should have an aspie fight team :)

With you two guys on it, we'd have a championship team for sure! :)

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2008, 5:39 am

Hey Regularguy and Space, do you think boxing will ever have any good heavyweights anytime soon.

It's sad that boxing's glamor division is in such sorry shape. A lot people think it's because all the athletic big men are now in the NFL.

I just saw a HW fight recently, and it was just sad. Two, big fat, out of shape fighters who couldn't even punch very hard or go a few punches without getting exhausted and turning into a clinching contest. Looked like Sumo wreslters not giant gladiators.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 3:53 pm

hmm, heavyweight boxing must really be a sore spot for you americans right now. big champions fading out, and nothing new that could compete with the onslaught from eastern europe.

i guess its a two parts problem:
part one: sooner or later, there had to be increasing success of the russian school versus the american school of boxing. as long as you dont fight someone with a structured defense, you can have a lot of heavyweights stumbling around with hands apart or even dropped guard, pretending to have the evasiveness of a muhammad ali. enter boxers with often much superior physical training and a style that is basically tailor-made to counter a rather open boxing style (fighting from an almost closed guard) - you had that one coming.

part two: boxing as well as different weight classes seem to fluctuate in and out of "favor". a certain weight class being en vogue means more spotlight, more attractiveness, hence more fights in the tv, more boxers in that division become known names, etcetera...
heavyweight boxing seems to be on a low in the states, right now. i dont know where that comes from... could be the nfl argument, could be the current hardships of american boxing vs eastern european boxers... could be something entirely different.

i cant wait to see what happens when cuba goes through some political changes... i dont think they can keep cuban boxers locked away from the rest of the boxing world forever.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2008, 6:01 pm

Future of Heavyweight boxing? I think David Haye could make a big splash now he's moved up to HW. He totally decimated the tough and wily Jean-Marc Mormeck at cruiserweight. He may be small and seems a bit chinny but his speed, skill and massive power will carry him through.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2008, 7:38 pm

Good points Gekitsu. But the problem with Eastern European HW is they may be very good at fundamentals, but their style of fighting does not come off as natural, instead it's very robotic. In other words, it's very textbook fighting.

So they may be well rounded fighters, but there's nothing spectacular about them. They have average speed, average power, average everything. The best in the bunch right now is Wlad Klitstchco. Outside Wlad weak chin, he fights a very text-book fight. He has power, but lacks the explosivness of say Tyson, or the menace of Liston or Foreman.

Aries I like Haye, but I think he better just stay at Cruiserweight. That chin of his is going to get in him a lot of trouble against bigger, harder hitting Heavies.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 9:50 am

yeah sure - the russian school is very formulaic. this has downsides, like being prone to something that breaks the greased groove (except you're talking a very high-quality fighter who can either adapt quickly or force his style upon the opponent no matter what) but also upsides, see the countless fights of eastern european fighters going this just-enough pace for twelve rounds.
sure, this style is much less spectacular, but it works. ;) what i said... cuban boxers could mix the whole deck of cards anew. not in a dramatic manner, but i see a rather lightfooted but structurized approach (thats where i see a huge lack in most american fighters: lack of structure, except you're talking the few cream of the crop guys) to be able to force the rather closed, semidefensive all the time, russian style into trouble.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 1:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Hey Regularguy and Space, do you think boxing will ever have any good heavyweights anytime soon.

It's sad that boxing's glamor division is in such sorry shape. A lot people think it's because all the athletic big men are now in the NFL.

I just saw a HW fight recently, and it was just sad. Two, big fat, out of shape fighters who couldn't even punch very hard or go a few punches without getting exhausted and turning into a clinching contest. Looked like Sumo wreslters not giant gladiators.

There's some good HW boxers, they are all russians though. Lots aren't that exciting though. The last good HW bout I saw was Golata vs Mcbride, and it was only good because mcbride was so out of shape and a nasty TKO. But yeah I never get excited about HW fights these days. Ibragimov vs Klitschko could be good though (feb 23).