Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:51 am

well, boxing isnt a natural activity to start with ;)

throughout your training, your fighting natural reflexes and may finally subdue them. look at how every rookie fights to overcome flinching his head aside or close his eyes when a punch comes in proximity of his head.
what looks flashy or not should not be of import - what works should be. and obviously, european styles did stir the market up a bit, so its the US boxers job to brew up a reaction to that, a counteragent of sorts. thats why sport is a constantly evolving thing... think the fossbury flob.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2008, 6:35 pm

I guess the best comparison would be. There are muscians that are experts at playing their instrument, and are very technical. Can read music sheets ect.

But ask these type of musicans to just freestyle or add-lib something without sheet music in front of them, and most of them couldn't do it.

Then get a guy like Jim Hendrix, who played his instrument up-side down, couldn't read sheet music if his life depended on it, but was able to do things with his guitar that nobody else could do. Come up with riffs and numbers out of thin air and just freestyled.

Or BB King. He had small fingers that couldn't reach the threads, so he created a slide kind of guitar playing where he slid his hands across the threads.

That's kind of what I'm talking about as far as American and Euro fighters.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

thats a good comparison, i like it very much, grant. :)
i guess we can settle on that.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2008, 7:06 pm

Glad you like the comparison.

See to me, Sugar Ray Robinson was like Jimi Hendrex. The guy did stuff that could not be taught. Knocking guys out while going backwards? Being able to move that flawlessly. Coming up with combinations that seem almost in-humanly possible.

Guys like Ali and even Roy Jones Jr followed that. Jones Jr knocking a guy out with his hands behind his back?

However, the downside to it is, once the speed and youth goes, these fighters couldn't pull that kind of stuff off anymore, and that is where fundamental flaws showed.