Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm

I will wake up at 10:30, i will brush my teeth and make my bed. Then i will have 1 bowl of oatmeal with 1 large bannana i will do 10 math problems...ect.
Does this work for most people? Is it healthy? Do you ever react negatively to this kind of self-imposed pressure. Do you develop an aversion, tell yourself you need a break before you've even started?

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

Back in my uni days, and then in my early career, everything was done to timetable, 24/7. It got a bit ridiculous at work since there was so much to do, more than I could ever accomplish, but I pushed myself to get as much done as possible. At that stage there was no respite at all.

After eight years of this kind of pressure I started to fragment and I developed bipolar. I can't say how much the pressure had to do with the development of mental illness, if at all, but it is a good start to trying to understand the processes involved. I remember that at one point my brain just froze and wouldn't do any more.

I'm trying to rehabilitate myself into at least doing a couple of chores before bed. Other than that my brain refuses to be scheduled. I am frequently late, or forget appointments entirely. I do not diarise anything before midday. Sometimes things are 'just too hard'. Back in the old day I never would have allowed that.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 12:41 am

wcoltd wrote:
I will wake up at 10:30, i will brush my teeth and make my bed. Then i will have 1 bowl of oatmeal with 1 large bannana i will do 10 math problems...ect.
Does this work for most people? Is it healthy? Do you ever react negatively to this kind of self-imposed pressure. Do you develop an aversion, tell yourself you need a break before you've even started?
well actually it just sounds like routines to me.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 7:12 am

Obsessive compulsive disorder is a really common and restraining co-morbidity accompanying Aspergers Syndrome
I am helpless and hopeless and cannot advise any helpful advice

:cry: