Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mindlessinthedark
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2012, 11:50 pm

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread)

When I was 8 or 9 I was misdiagnosed with ADD, the doctor was very, very poor at handling people who were not neurotypical.

He told me just this year that even though I had been diagnosed by many other doctors, sadly none doing so properly, that I was not an Aspie and I was just a pig headed (these are his exact words) b***h (this was just implied), and could not possibly have Aspurger's or Autism because I had friends, understood some humor, and didn't smell bad (again his words). But that's beside the point.

Because of my SID giving me super sensitive hearing I had trouble blocking noises out and concentrating, so they took me to see him, he put he on about 10 different medications that are supposed to help with ADD and didn't understand why none worked, which was obviously because I don't have ADD. I later stopped the medication and refused to go see him again.

But while on one of them I gained an inability to handle strong UV rays. And now when I am under direct sunlight, I feel as though something like fire ants are biting me. Has anyone else had this type of experience?

tjeff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

Quote:
When I was 8 or 9 I was misdiagnosed with ADD,

this is my first attempt at posting to this forum; although there's a lot of material in the post that I've developed strong opinions about, I will not try to deal with all of them at once

"add" was not conceptualized within Medicine until the late Sixties or early Seventies. It's not a specific pathological entity; rather it's a behavioral syndrome (a cluster of behaviors that are often seen in the same child or adult). Although the first general descriptions were accurate, several key conclusions were simply wrong... the first widely applied pharmaceutical treatment (Ritalin) that seemed to work on young children was empirical, in that although there was no coherent explanation for its "success," it became widely applied because it made life easier for teachers and parents.

It wasn't until a seemingly unrelated event allowed me to interview a number of those early patients as adults that I stumbled on the key flaw that appears to be responsible for ADD behavior in both young children and adults.