Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

aspienewbie22
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2012, 6:00 am

Hi...I have always assumed I had depression, and off an on since 16, I've take antidepressants. However, during most of this time, my meds were prescribed by a regular doctor, not a psychiatrist. It wasn't until I saw a psychiatrist's practice two years ago in september that I was told I should get checked for ADD...and a psychologist's exam diagnosed me. However, again, my depression and the exact symptoms I experience were not discussed, and all we did was tweek long established meds, add me something for ADD, as well as other things for anxiety.

Anyhow, I'm currently wondering if I have BPII. I have just started seeing a counselor who is experienced with aspergers and personality disorders, mostly in response to the sh***y way I have been handling the breakup with the person I have posted about previously. Given that he is triggering emotions that i've managed to keep locked away for most of my life, and that i now wonder if my mother was not aspergers and borderline, rather than OCD and borderline, and being that im not so convinced i also do not fall somewhere on the spectrum...it seemed that if i want to get anything accomplished, i need someone who knows of both. However, do counselors diagnose? Or do you just talk to them, and they try to help you sort out your emotions and thoughts? id like to have a professional opinion on if i do fall on the spectrum, and whether i just have MDD or BPII.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jul 2012, 12:44 am

Counselors can put things down on your chart but they may not be considered official dingoes by others. Only certain psychs can officially diagnoses autism/Aspergers & it involves going thorough a testing process. Talk to your counselor about your dingoes concerns & he/she could refer you to someone more qualified

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:54 am

Counsellors are not allowed to diagnose, full stop.

See a psychiatrist. They are the only people who are allowed to diagnose mental health issues like Bipolar, Borderline Personality Disorder etc as they have a MEDICAL qualification to do it.
Counsellors don't have a medical qualification. They never went to medical school. They may have done and ended up being a counsellor, but no-one would have gone to medical school to specifically become a counsellor at the other end.