Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

I can hardly walk. I can't go back to the doctor because I missed an appt. w/o calling and there's a $50 fee and I haven't had 50 cents, much less $50. What do you do in a case like this?

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

My advice is to find a new doctor. A doctor who is more understanding about missed appointments, and has a receptionist to send you reminders the day before and the morning of your appointment. This is important for patients with mental health problems. My psychologist does this and it works well.

Secondly, your new doctor should also work with you to prevent problems with medication compliance. It is very dangerous to start and stop medications suddenly. It is negligent for the doctor to hand you a packet of pills without working out a follow up plan. Also, if a mental health patient, suffering from depression, fails to turn up for an appointment I believe the surgery has a duty of care to follow you up with a phone call to you or your next of kin.

Find a doctor with whom you feel comfortable. You needn't feel afraid of going to see them.

Finding the right doctor will take time and effort, and some trial and error, but it will be worth it in the end.

In the meantime, take some rest, drink plenty of water and healthy food, get proper sleep patterns, do some gentle exercise, try alternative means of managing your depression, such as meditation, yoga, cognitive strategies etc. And do not drive a motor vehicle.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

Have someone take you to the Emergency Room of your local hospital. BY LAW THEY CANNOT REFUSE TO TREAT YOU EVEN IF YOU CAN'T PAY! Some hospitals have their own charity plans for people who can't pay, others can direct you to other charities that can help you with medical bills. Also, have you applied for Medicaid? I can't work any more due to my health problems, and am on SSI because of it. I have Medicaid to pay for my medical bills.

Sarah81 also offered some good advice, so get someone to help you get to a doc or the hospital.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

Can you just go to another walk-in clinic?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

Oh, they call and give reminders the day before, but not the hour before. :oops: And if something happens to change my routine, nevermind. I try to schedule appointments in the late afternoon so I don't have to take a lot of time off work, but my last appointment turned out to be on Good Friday, which I have off since I work for a Catholic organization, so I totally forgot about it. Then my DH quit his job since he thought his co-workers were vandalizing his truck and plotting to kill him, :roll: .

comatt1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I can hardly walk. I can't go back to the doctor because I missed an appt. w/o calling and there's a $50 fee and I haven't had 50 cents, much less $50. What do you do in a case like this?

Well, honestly, if this something like an SSRI, and not a benzo, you really NEED it. Stopping SSRI's cold turkey is very bad for you... I have had an issue like this in past and called Walgreens, and told them, they gave me a day supply till I got to doctor.

See someone immediately, if you have a physician friend and have evidence that you have had this med, most wont have issue giving you a non-schedule 2/3 antidepressant.

Remember, with people prone to anxiety the ramifications of stopping suddenly can be severe

Withdrawal from SSRIs

If you take prozac the withdrawal may not be bad, but others can get REALLY bad

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 4:14 pm

Maybe gently re-start the antidepressant at 1/2 dose?

And you can go to a hospital emergency room if need be like the person suggests above.

You can go to a new doctor (insurance plan ought to be able to recommend some in your area).

I guess you could go back to the first doctor, sit in the office and tell them, I really need to see the doctor (need to be done with a medium touch and may or may not work)

===========

Best wishes. :D We definitely need to improve medical care in our United States, and we're so good in so many other areas!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Will they let you charge? Maybe they would just call it into a pharmacy without an appointment.I don't know if you have any insurance and my heart goes out to you if you don't,medications are so unreasonably expensive.I stopped my SSRI once and had horrible weird head rush feelings,maybe like others suggested go to the ER.

dmc68
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 12:24 am

With meds like this if you go off them cold turkey the symptoms can continue to get worse over time not better, so like everyone else is saying, get to the ER and get a refill ASAP.