Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm

You know, without thewhtrabbit posting about how Homer Simpson is well liked, I can relate to him the most.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2013, 2:03 am

I've had quite a few people compare me to Homer Simpson.
I do see we have similarities. I would get along with him great if he was real.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:05 am

Schizpergers wrote:
I've had quite a few people compare me to Homer Simpson. I do see we have similarities. I would get along with him great if he was real.

yea, I am sure you and him could sit at the bar and enjoy some duff beer :drunken:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:23 pm

Schizpergers wrote:
I've had quite a few people compare me to Homer Simpson.
I do see we have similarities. I would get along with him great if he was real.

Count me in on that too. :)

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 6:37 am

GregCav wrote:
Basic laziness.

Also, I believe there would be a correlation between laziness and lower intelligence. Not because one causes the other as this study suggests, but that laziness affects all of one’s life.

Sorry, but you're wrong. You don't know what someone is going through that prevents them from adequate self care. It's like people saying depression is laziness, or autism is laziness. I've heard parents call their children lazy because they don't want to acknowledge an actual disorder.

Not trying to put yourself in the other person's shoes and imagining what they might be struggling with - is that laziness? Or is it poor empathy?

I have met and worked with many people of supposed low intellect. No epidemic laziness there.

fractalCreature
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2013, 6:50 pm

That five-year study, which could just as well have been Nothing (what journal was it in? I'd like to read the actual study) shows a correlation, and you can't pull a cause out of nothing but a correlation. Anyway, I'm sure a number of those people are lazy, but they don't generally give linguistic tests in a way where you're expected to study. Anyone can study ... the point is, people who aren't in very good shape tend to also be relatively lower performing on various cognitive tests.

I can believe the lazy mind causes the pleasure eating that causes the obesity. I can believe obesity causes other health problems, or is caused by other problems, which happen to result in lower intelligence. I can believe that bigger people are just plain slower/less intelligent. There's a near endless supply of confounding factors on this one ...

TL;DR: the study doesn't say anything on its own.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 10:11 pm

fractalCreature wrote:
That five-year study, which could just as well have been Nothing (what journal was it in? I'd like to read the actual study) shows a correlation, and you can't pull a cause out of nothing but a correlation. Anyway, I'm sure a number of those people are lazy, but they don't generally give linguistic tests in a way where you're expected to study. Anyone can study ... the point is, people who aren't in very good shape tend to also be relatively lower performing on various cognitive tests.

I can believe the lazy mind causes the pleasure eating that causes the obesity. I can believe obesity causes other health problems, or is caused by other problems, which happen to result in lower intelligence. I can believe that bigger people are just plain slower/less intelligent. There's a near endless supply of confounding factors on this one ...

All right then, nut this case study out and apply your theory. I have never done an IQ test. I finished top of my high school class and top five percent in the state. I could have studied anything but chose to become a health professional. I carried a triple-case load each year of my career as well as implementing some preventative programs. I then suffered vicarious trauma which triggered bipolar disorder. After my first hospitalisation I put on weight. I was working in a simple customer service job (and doing three times the workload again), and ate continuously - chocolate, flavoured milks etc.

The reason for eating was emotional. It had nothing to do with laziness. After going through all that, only to be called lazy by an ignorant person who knows nothing. I am very angry!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 8:46 pm

Oh, boy! We´re back to the 60´s it seems. Overweight/obese children were suspected to have lower IQ´s.
Some people still believe so. How sad for them!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 3:09 pm

Several problems with this.

Firstly, they did not assess IQ, but rather verbal memory. Verbal memory is only loosely correlated with IQ - on the Weschler scales, the Digit Span subtest (which assesses verbal memory) is one of the subtests with the poorest correlation to the total IQ score. (Coding, Letter-Number Sequencing and Symbol Search are also poorly correlated with full IQ.)

Secondly, it's a correlational finding. If the correlation bears out, it could be due to the following three possibilities:

a) obesity causes lower verbal memory
b) low verbal memory causes obesity
c) both low verbal memory and obesity are caused by the same third factor

My guess is the link is executive functions. Executive dysfunction is often associated with poor verbal memory, due to poorer use of memory strategies and/or increased distractibility. And it's easy to see how difficulty inhitibiting impulses (such as not eating that cookie), trouble making and sticking to plans and schedules (such as exercise schedules) and poor self-care skills (such as difficulty preparing meals, making you resort to store bought or restaurant meals more often) can lead to obesity.

Note that if my guess is correct, there's no link with IQ. Executive functions and IQ are not strongly related.

It would also mean that it's not laziness. Executive dysfunction can look like laziness, but laziness is a choice, while executive dysfunction takes away the ability to choose how hard you work at something.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

fractalCreature wrote:

Can't seem to remember where it was, but if I can find it, I will post it here.