Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

neonyandereHD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

I have PTSD. For those who don't know, it's Post traumatic stress disorder, and as the name entails, brings on stress post traumatic event (lol).

still dun get it? sigh...

well, here's an example.

like, if you were in a bad car wreck. then a while after you begin to get a sudden jolt of fear when making a sharp turn in a car now. thats PTSD.

mine was brought on from my (NOT) happy childhood with an abusive dad. what brought on yours, if you have it?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

I get it.
I got it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:18 pm

mine was mild and is all but gone, but was due to an abusive fiancé.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2013, 12:03 am

I had a couple of experiences which I couldn't resolve and which brought on PTSD symptoms:
-seeing a close relative dying of cancer - I then went to work in a hospital and had constant emotional flashbacks.
-bullying by a trusted supervisor - I was afraid of that supervisor for years afterwards.

The difficulty is in having bipolar disorder as well; makes it harder to integrate these sort of life experiences. These types of experiences are common and people integrate them fairly well usually. But for me, I experienced intense terror, flashbacks, and avoidance. It took ages to diagnose because these sorts of experiences are not what the doctor is looking for. I ended up seeking out a trauma therapist myself.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 1:36 am

I once had a cat with PTSD.
Befor I had her, she lived with other ppl who hit her and threw her out in the snow at winter time. I found her half dead, I took her with me and after me and my mom who is a nurse took care, she survived. After that she didn't leave the house for years and had bad anxiety attacs when it started to snow at winter time.
Also at the beginning when I made fast movements she winced. 8O
After several years she mostly got over those symptoms.

I also have PTSD symptoms. My therapist wrote in his report about me having PTSD symptoms and symptoms of traumatic embitterment. But I'm not officially dx with PTSD.
It might sound strange, but I got my symptoms because I had severe claustrophobia and meltdowns in the locked ward and because of that I had to stay longer and I totally freaked. The psychiatrists didn't belief me, but after several days I was allowed to go outside with a caretaker and my symptoms stoped emidiatly, but maybe one or two weeks after I left, I started having traumatic symptoms, but was first able to talk about them one year after that. That's now 3 years ago and I still suffer from anxiety issues because of that situation.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 5:27 am

Yes. If I don't already have it, I'm about to develop it. It's because all the traumatic things I've suffered from this hell called existence.
I'm depressed too, because all the bad things that have happened to me.
I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying this: No good thing has ever happened to me.
Fortune hasn't smiled at me.
I believe anybody would feel bad if went through all the things that have happened to me.
I have anxiety because of it too, and have panic attacks, and don't know what to do.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:34 am

Yes, I have PTSD. Mine is from a series of events that resulted from a life changing upheaval that in a nutshell ruined my life for an extended time. I won't go into details, but someone caused me to lose everything and I had to start completely over, nowhere to live, no job, no support system. I went through a couple of years of struggling to get everything back on track. I achieved that in the end, but the process was demoralizing, and I was subjected to abusive people taking advantage of my temporary disadvantage. I also had to work to achieve it while basically having a functional nervous breakdown. But there was nobody but myself to rely on so I battled through.

I still haven't gotten back my full self-esteem even though everything in practical terms is restored to "okay" now. I still break down and cry over everything that happened, and although I have written a daily diary for more than thirty years, the day that all this started is the ONE day I skipped writing, and still cannot yet bring myself to fill in that page with what I remember of events. I still wake up shocked at the upheavals and their lasting effects. I still can't stand to see certain things that remind me of things I went through in all this. I will take it for a minute or two then suddenly have to flee from the thing that reminds me.

I'm sorry I can't go into more detail but that's the gist of it.

I too had a cat who exhibited PTSD. Long time ago now, but in his first year of life, he was both and indoor and outdoor cat. But he kept being attacked by other neighborhood cats, coming home in bad shape. One day, he never came home. I and my then-husband searched for him for two weeks, putting up "missing cat" flyers and constantly going around our area calling his name. We would get phone calls coming in saying someone saw a cat of his description being chased by dogs, eating from a trash can, and other sad situations, but going to the location produced nothing.

Also, during the two weeks he was missing, the weather turned bad and we had rainstorms with thunder.

We finally found him -- someone called and said "He's in our backyard right now," and we got there in time to get him. He was depressed for a full year! He acted quiet, pensive, looked traumatized but you could tell he was grateful for our love, and grateful to be home. But he was sort of "out of it", very clearly. It was very clear from both his physical and mental condition that he'd had a miserable time out there and would have died if we hadn't found him or someone had taken him in.

And every time it rained, even just a little bit, he acted scared, eyes wide, running and hiding under things. I think the rain reminded him of being lost and alone and chased by dogs and not finding anything to eat, and it was exactly like PTSD.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

I'm not sure if I have PTSD, or something similar to it. My parents have been to the hospital a few times in the past year, as have I. Whenever I feel a cramp, feel slighty sick, sweaty or even go to bed at times, I get really nervous and anxious. Like I'm constantly worried something is going to go wrong with my heart and my stomach, even though I've been to the hospital for tests and they said I'm perfectly healthy, just that I can lose some weight.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 7:48 pm

They tell me I have it, or something very close to it anyway.

I got mine from, basically, reading a lot of literature on Asperger's and trying to make myself into a non-person to avoid being rigid, self-centered, argumentative, unempathetic, and all that other stuff. Then I tried to get help for the depression and bad decisions that came from that, and got treated to The Nightmare that I've discussed everywhere else.

I don't know about Asperger's...

...but in dealing with getting a diagnosis and planning a course of treatment for my 6-year-old probable Aspie son, PTSD-like syndrome has been a real stubling block and general all-around PITA.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 1:37 am

Some peoples are from deaths, others from traumatic events, some from events they blocked out, but the same result over reaction to common stimulus. Some people get night terrors with it, others don't, some have nightmares some won't. Some of us dont want to remember the things haunt us and all ways will.
For me a gf when I was young couldn't wait for a vacation to end couldn't be alone another day. He parents ignored my warnings that she wasn't acting right. Lost her during the night I found her the next day. Unfortunate for me that that's not the only one I've lost that way. Each added, compounded on the stresses from the prior.