Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2014, 2:31 am

How often should an individual with nonverbal learning disability or an autism spectrum disorder get evaluated by a psychologist? The last one I saw was over three years ago and I only saw him twice; once for my assessment and once for letting me know what my diagnosis was (although I didn't get officially told what that was until a few months later by my vocational rehabilitation counselor).

I just got health insurance earlier this week and I have to get a primary physician so that I can continue recieving my antidepressants. I was planning on asking for a referral to a psychologist once I did get a doctor so I'm not sure if I should stick with my current evaluation or get a new one altogether.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

As often as you need to see one. If you're doing fine, don't worry if it's been a long time between visits. NVLD and autism are both considered incurable, so you don't need to be reassessed to see if you still have it.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

I agree with Ettina. It's just as needed. There are no set guidelines. If you are struggling with something that a therapist could help with, then definitely seek one out, but otherwise don't worry about it.

I wish I could find a good therapist where I'm living now to help me with some issues at work. I'd need to find someone experienced with NLD or ASD though, because they're NLD-related problems.