Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

questforpsychopathy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

I have ocd,,to a pretty severe degree.
In my case it is obsession over body image..(body dysmorphia disorder). I have been suicidal in the past. My main question is if ocd and aspergers do share some similiar traits. I believe that I do pick up on social cues, but at the same time I sometimes tend to miss the big picture.
Maybe someone can elaborate? Thnx.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

I think OCD and Asperger's definitely share some traits. It's like OCD takes the potential good aspie traits in a negative direction. I've struggled with OCD worries, rituals, obsessions about both germs and chemical contamination. Now, if I can wind to a place where it's both okay to do a health 'precaution' and also okay not to do it, that's a pretty good place to be, and that's kind of the zen of it all. I mean, I'm not a bad person for doing the health precaution. Okay, regarding thoughts of suicide, my internist told me it constitutes a medical emergency to have suicidal thoughts combined with a present plan. So, maybe just a casual back-up plan as need be. And perhaps a little bit of the zen approach, that it's just a thought and I'm not going to give it extra power by trying to push it out as it were.

And by the way, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2014, 6:15 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think OCD and Asperger's definitely share some traits. It's like OCD takes the potential good aspie traits in a negative direction. I've struggled with OCD worries, rituals, obsessions about both germs and chemical contamination. Now, if I can wind to a place where it's both okay to do a health 'precaution' and also okay not to do it, that's a pretty good place to be, and that's kind of the zen of it all. I mean, I'm not a bad person for doing the health precaution. Okay, regarding thoughts of suicide, my internist told me it constitutes a medical emergency to have suicidal thoughts combined with a present plan. So, maybe just a casual back-up plan as need be. And perhaps a little bit of the zen approach, that it's just a thought and I'm not going to give it extra power by trying to push it out as it were.

And by the way, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

I have been told I have OCD tendencies, and am probably OCD; this is a good explanation.

I feel that OCD and ASD can share some of the sensory issues (and if you have both, they're obviously heightened). For instance, I can feel my scalp crawl quite a bit. I'm always "itchy", I have hyper awareness of what happens to my skin. For me, the best way to describe how they are similar is the itch bothers you. How they are different is that ASD is noticing the itch, and being bothered by the presence of the itch, OCD is being extremely bothered if you can't scratch it. (You'd still notice it, I'm sure, but I have a feeling that ASD...Aggravates that.)

I could be wrong, but this is how I've understood it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

If your OCD comes and goes, PANDAS is worth considering even if you're older.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/labs-at-nimh/re ... /web.shtml

PANDAS is controversial, some doctors don't believe in it at all. But if older people like in their late teen or 20s sometimes get rheumatic fever or Sydenham's chorea, and they do and sometimes even older, it stands to reason that older people can sometimes get this, too. And this is scary stuff, where antibodies to strep inappropriately attack the brain's basal ganglia. Ouch! But it's also easily treated, just prophylactic antibiotics to prevent the strep in the first place, probably along with helpful probiotics. A reasonable beginning might be a blood test to check for antibody titer levels.