Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2014, 7:26 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in the year of 2009. I also have selective mutism.

I have always been extremely withdrawn. At school, in 1st grade, I didn't speak to the teachers or the students. Everyone thought I was just shy. But after a while, I befriended a girl and started to play with her. We had really fun, and I opened up and spoke to her a lot (I'm a chatterbox when I'm around people I feel comfortable with). I can't remember I had a hard time understanding what she meant or what she was doing. There was no such problem. My problem was the speaking part. I just couldn't speak in certain social situations. At home I was chatty. My parents and siblings have always said that I am like a completely normal person at home. But almost nobody else sees that person.

Well. I have started to doubt my AS. My dad doesn't believe I have AS, and at first I became really angry with him because I truly trusted what the doctors said, and I recognized myself when reading about Asperger's and autism. And I do have some symptoms that some autistic people have:

* I have difficulties having eye contact.
* I have difficulties understanding facial expressions and body language.
* I do stim sometimes, when I'm anxious (body rocking, for example)
* I am sensitive to touch, sound and taste.
* I don't like changes and I want routine.
* I don't initiate social interaction.
* I have difficulties knowing what to say in some situations.
* I prefer to be alone.
* I have difficulties keeping friends.
* I am a perfectionist.
* I am not good at taking care of my personal hygiene.

I do understand most jokes, but I don't dare to laugh at them in public. My humour is quite odd though.
I understand the most common figures of speech. I'm not so good with irony and sarcasm.

I don't walk or move in a strange way at home, but only when I'm at school or other places where I don't speak.
Then I'm very stiff and awkward in my movements. I do not smile very often at school, because I'm very anxious there. At school I always stand somewhere, staring into space.

I'm very confused, since I have had my diagnosis for 5 years now and I don't feel like I fit in.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm

What is bothering you about the Aspergers diagnosis?

Saphie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2014, 11:56 pm

sorry you are feeling like you dont fit in. quite often there are misdiagnosis's (not just limited to asd). but a lot of factors can "play" into how things are going.
growing up, in school i was known as shy, then elective mute, and then just very shy. (all of which didnt quite fit..) when i was about 19 i had a therapist who dx'd me with "agoraphobia" (prolly the worst misdiagnosis that ive been given lol.) because of the "very shy" and the not being able to go into stores alone, without a very close friend or family member (due to the sensory issues), but even tho i appeared shy, and i was able to speak, but not able at other times (which pretty much fits for shy and elective muteism. it wasnt really the cause. it was a symptom of autism, and not a seperate disorder.
atleast, thats what it was like in my situation.

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2014, 7:53 pm

I am autistic and have "mutism issues". My doc had me take a good look at my earliest years so we could figure out the cause of my mutism. It turned out to have an autistic cause. I often prefer not to speak, and sometimes I cannot when I want to.
I also did a lot of reading.
Important things to consider were behavior at birth, age of first words, and if I learned speech because *I* wanted to or if I was coaxed or something.
Then I took a good hard look at my speechless times. Voluntary or not? Shy or not? If involuntary, what's going on when It starts?
I go mute (involuntary) more often when I am overwhelmed. I find most of society overwhelming and I'm so very tired of dealing with it.
I spent months earlier this year barely speaking and it felt more normal and far less frustrating than speech. I also find many aspects of verbal speech overwhelming.
Introspection can be a tool!