Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

joshskuxx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2015, 1:39 am

Can some mental illnesses be misdiagnosed As ASD? I dont think I actually have autism because I have some symptoms but I dont have that much in common to other people with ASD ( in regards to symptoms). Ive found that I actually have more symptoms of other mental illnesses such as BPD,ocd,anxiety disorders etc. Also is it possible to have another mental illness aswell as ASD? and would the ASD make it harder to diagnose? :?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:30 pm

I'm sure it can go both ways, misdiagnosis that is. I had the opposite problem as you, I've had schizoid and schizoaffective diagnoses thrown at me which I believe were really misdiagnoses because my Aspergers(which better explains everything) had not been diagnosed at the time I was given those labels.

When I was diagnosed with Aspergers, I was told by the professional diagnosing me that Autism spectrum disorders rarely exists on their own, and almost always have comorbid mental illnesses in addition to ASD. In my own case, I have BPD, SA, OCD, and Aspergers. The more going on at the same time, sure can make it more difficult to diagnose.

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2015, 2:16 am

doesn't the DSM-4 say you can't diagnose social anxiety if you have ASD I think some clinicians missed that part