Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

I’m not saying that I literally hear other people’s thoughts or anything like that. It’s just that I tend to struggle with racing thoughts, which is especially bad at night time. The worst part is that these racing thoughts are of usually my own inner monologue but instead random voices (internal ones, not as if I’m hearing it in the room) that often speak in different languages or sound muffled. If I do catch a glimpse of something it’s usually some non sequitur stuff that doesn’t make a lot of sense. It’s not like the “voices” are talking to me - it’s more like I’m getting radio signals in my brain and they aren’t aware of my existence. Sometimes I’ll also get strings of music, sound effects and general repetitive vocal chatter. I get this from time to time but it seems to be getting a lot more obnoxious lately. It’s not particularly scary but it is annoying because the mental noise keeps me up and I need to keep my mind busy until my body shuts down from sleep deprivation. I think this mental chatter is partly an ADHD thing as well as an anxiety thing, but normally when people talk about racing thoughts they’re usually concerned with day to day concerns or personal insecurities. I rarely ever hear people talk about feeling like they’re hearing a stranger’s thoughts in their voice unless they’re talking about auditory hallucinations, which I don’t think this is.

What do you guys think? Anyone else deal with this? Anyone know how to get them to be quiet?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:16 pm

MindBlind wrote:
I’m not saying that I literally hear other people’s thoughts or anything like that. It’s just that I tend to struggle with racing thoughts, which is especially bad at night time. The worst part is that these racing thoughts are of usually my own inner monologue but instead random voices (internal ones, not as if I’m hearing it in the room) that often speak in different languages or sound muffled. If I do catch a glimpse of something it’s usually some non sequitur stuff that doesn’t make a lot of sense. It’s not like the “voices” are talking to me - it’s more like I’m getting radio signals in my brain and they aren’t aware of my existence. Sometimes I’ll also get strings of music, sound effects and general repetitive vocal chatter. I get this from time to time but it seems to be getting a lot more obnoxious lately. It’s not particularly scary but it is annoying because the mental noise keeps me up and I need to keep my mind busy until my body shuts down from sleep deprivation. I think this mental chatter is partly an ADHD thing as well as an anxiety thing, but normally when people talk about racing thoughts they’re usually concerned with day to day concerns or personal insecurities. I rarely ever hear people talk about feeling like they’re hearing a stranger’s thoughts in their voice unless they’re talking about auditory hallucinations, which I don’t think this is.

What do you guys think? Anyone else deal with this? Anyone know how to get them to be quiet?

I also have ADHD and Bipolar I Disorder and I get this all the time. I also have severe anxiety. I lay in my bed at night and it takes me a long time to fall asleep because of it. During the day it's very distracting.

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2018, 5:51 pm

MindBlind wrote:

That's exactly what I hear in my head, thought I was going crazy, I have high functioning autism and some symptoms of ADHD.
Its like its a part of my conscious telling my random rushed words and all sorts of things.
Then all of a sudden a voice that doesn't sound like me pops in, maby its a mans voice or a different woman just talking to themselves.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 6:38 pm

I only get something like that very rarely, and it's always when I'm either very anxious or sleep deprived. When my insomnia is keeping me awake and there's no outside noise is when I'm most likely to notice it. It's interesting that you said "radio signals". I've always thought of mine as being like a radio or TV that keeps changing channels, so that I receive only little snippets of totally unrelated things. I get audio hallucinations sometimes too, and like you say, they are two distinctly different experiences. I wonder sometimes if it's a little peek into my subconscious shuffling things around in my brain to make room for new experiences, a bit like dreaming is sometimes said to be (and with my insomnia, I probably don't dream much, so that might explain why my brain needs to do it.)

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm

I also have something along those lines. Intrusive thoughts, usually much worse at night. I have OCD & GAD on top of being an aspie and some other things. Intrusive thoughts I get are not only annoying, but also scary at times. Intrusive thoughts can range from just regular thoughts, to a word repeating over and over many times, or a song replaying in your head, or even images. For me though, more often than not, they are very frightening. Though sometimes, like yours, just annoying. I think that it may just be an anxiety thing, those non-harmful racing thoughts for you and I. But, yeah, you're definitely not alone, okay!! !

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2018, 11:29 am

I had that issue when I was suffering from a psychotic depression. Getting on psych meds which helped my depression made a difference.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition