Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2017, 7:51 am

I know it starts with me. That's why I went to get help, when no other way of quitting was working for me.

Methadone doesn't get you high. It just makes it so that you feel normal and can function throughout the day without opiates. That way, an addict can keep their job and begin to rebuild their lives while getting better. You're only on the methadone about 6 months before they wean you off, and the withdrawl is way less intense than the withdrawl from opiates. So no, it's not replacing one thing for another, rather it's making it so the addict is eased off of the drugs and can still function while doing so.

Also, group therapy at the clinic has nothing to do with religion. They teach us how to prevent future relapse and change our behaviors that weren't working in the past. They help us get the tools we need to function without drugs, so once we are weaned off the methadone, we aren't tempted to go back on drugs. Not all addicts go to 12-step meetings.

Also, different forms of treatment are right for different people. there is no right way. I am doing what works for me, and I will continue to do so, because nothing else has worked for me yet. I am not making excuses, for I know that my addiction is my fault, but that doesn't mean that I can't get help for the mistake that I made, right? I'm happy to not have to get up every day and have to scheme to come up with money, and do terrible things to the ones I love just to get a fix. I'm happy to be able to start to live a normal life. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. I don't feel the need to worry about that because I'm comfortable with what I'm doing. People get diseases that are their own fault all the time (think STDs and such). It doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to take medication and get treatment for them.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2017, 2:36 am

I understand what your saying and i've been there and i do commiserate.
There are though,a few points,where i could pick apart,but i won't.
All i can offer,don't underestimate methadone and don't be complacent,all the same,use it to your advantage,short term(only).

Good luck,you deserve better,a better life.: )

Peace :heart:

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

SoloAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2018, 3:57 pm

Finish reading before you rush in with your torches and pitchforks. Addiction to anything is not mental. It's a choice or lack of choices to be more exact. Look up Portugals drug plan and see how it's worked there. The lowest drug use country in Europe. All drugs are legal. Crack cocaine and meth are legal. Addiction in many drugs and alcohol is physical, not all. Short term discomfort or feeling like you'll die it doesn't last long. I dted cold turkey from suboxone by loose choice. If you have a few minutes and are curious enough I'll post a video link. It's time people stopped buying into the propaganda about drugs. I'm not endorcing them or decrying them. Only saying that for whatever reason and against clear evidence to at least look further into the possibility. Government at multiple levels would rather waste billions of dollars, cost thousands of lives than say its a social issue.

SoloAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

Sorry if I've posted this more than once it's not showing on my end. It's to important to not share. I can't seem to post the link so the video is labeled addiction under Ted talks. It helped me make sense of my addictions and explains why so many aspies suffer from addiction.

John Gault
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2018, 3:07 pm

I was addicted to opiates and heroin for 15 years. Also had a real bad cocaine habit.. clean 11 years.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 8:31 pm

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Disease?Excuses?Your replacing one for the other to seek comfort in an inevitable withdrawal.
Your laying off the inevitable with a band aid fix,one that has more of a half long life ie:methadone.

It ain't an condition,your delaying the inevitable.

And groups/counseling,i see that like a religious sect,not in control of your own mind.

How does that help?How is that constructive in your own mind?

It starts with you,no one else.

Someone on methadone doesnt have to worry about dying from an opioid cut with fentanyl.