Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2013, 1:22 am

I've always wondered how people end up in the psych ward. Personally Ive never been there even though there have been times when I probablly should have. Did you get commited after being arrested? Where I live it seems like you would have to do something extremely violent to get commited.
If you've been hospitalized for psychological reasons you can share your story of how you got commited.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 1:33 am

I had my stomach pumped at an acute hospital after a suicide attempt and they sent me to a psych hospital for two months.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 1:42 am

I went willingly because I was on the verge of suicide and didn't want to do anything stupid, I couldn't think of anything else to do at the time.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

I tried to kill myself by overdosing and I woke up in the hospital two days later. First I was being treated for my physical overdose and then I was transferred to a psych ward.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

I was in a very small hospital for therapy, but was "missed", so they just called the police and they brought me in a psych ward. :hmph:
There they gave me meds and released me two weeks later, but one month later I had strange symptoms and brought there again. I had a suspicion of psychosis. But later on they found out, it's because of their meds they gave me. :eew: So they put me off that med and released me again two weeks later.

That's over two years ago and after that I wasn't there anymore stationary.
(But ambulant)

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2013, 10:27 am

I was having murder and suicide thoughts, because of my ocd, and i was really anxious and depressed because of this thoughts, so they sent me to the psych when i tell them i was having this thoughts and that i was really depressed about that.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

My psychiatrist tried very hard to keep me out of psychiatric hospital (because she didn't think I'd do well there because of my ASD) in spite of persistent suicidal ideation, serious self-harm and multiple suicide attempts. Eventually, however, it was decided that I needed a fuller evaluation and I was admitted for two weeks for evaluation, to determine if my medication needed to be changed, and also as respite for me from the stresses of the "real world". This was after I had been signed off work sick for 3 months for the second time in a year ...

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

I got sent there by family court for a 30 day evaluation. I was in family court for skipping school a lot.

As an adult I've never been in one and I don't really see how they could put me in one legally since I'm not "a danger to myself or others". I don't see any mental health workers so they can't decide I belong in there.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm

Generally people go to hospital when they're really sick. Sometimes they admit themselves and other times family members take them. Other times police or ambulance are called. Sometimes it's calm, sometimes dramatic. Sometimes for a short period, sometimes for a long period.

I've taken myself to hospital twice recently, once for acute otitis externa causing a lot of pain, and another time because I noticed I was getting a little manic. Both times were the same. I came to emergency, I waited, I was fast-tracked, seen to and discharged with a management plan and told to come back if I had any more problems.

The first two times I went to hospital were a little more dramatic, to say the least. I've gotten a little better at managing this illness now.

Sorry to bore you there. :)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:03 am

I was taken in by the cops. They were nice about it, and told me no cuffs as long as I didn' t make a run for it. I was in rough shape at the time, and had obvious wrist cuts.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:09 am

Haven't been hospitalized but was borderline hospitalized twice. Once when I had a medication induced manic seizure, parents were on the phone to my psychiatrist and holding me down while they forced shoes and coat on to me (it was winter). But they didn't make the final decision to take me to hospital until after 30mins of seizure and holding me down, so at the point the were actually forcing the clothes onto me I started to calm down, so no hospitalization after all.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 3:11 am

Either suicide attempt or you're in need of a holiday (I include mania and acute psychosis there with the holiday).

The latter isn't a joke: people usually end up there due to something going on in their life that makes their symptoms a zillion times worst, and they need a break from that. A hospital provides that.

Well, that was me and I needed a holiday for my month long stay. :)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

Five years ago, I had two separate hospital stays two months apart...I was severely depressed and anxious at the time. I felt horrible, incapable, and unsuccessful, and wanted my life to end. :( After that, I decided that I didn't want to waste any more of my life in this state, so I decided to work on myself and became cognizant of my difficulties with negative thinking. I have had ups and downs, as well as another period of time where I would have considered myself depressed, but I have never been that severely depressed ever again.

Cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness meditation and some amazing people saved my life.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

I've never been in a psych ward, although I have made 1 visit to a psych e.r.. I found Warm Lines, as well the email services of The Samaritans, as well as the Church to be a great deal of help.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
I've never been in a psych ward, although I have made 1 visit to a psych e.r.. I found Warm Lines, as well the email services of The Samaritans, as well as the Church to be a great deal of help.

o.O

I was in an old psychiatry (now they are having a new building, so it's not even close to this anymore).

I was in a small 4 bed room. There were also two sinks in the room, because there were just two bathrooms for all patients in the closed ward. There were maybe 30 patients, I'm not sure.
In this room were also three small windows with bars in front of them, so we could open them.

I had to stay in the psych ward two weeks and in the end I was toled I would have had the right to leave after 72 hours, but noone toled me! 8O

NEVER again I rather die and I mean this serious! 8O
(don't worry, I'm NOT in danger.;) )

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2013, 12:11 am

Abuse and lies. Apparently if you're a concerned citizen with one witness and an allegation of "harm to self or others" this is sufficient. Every time I got in trouble (past curfew, wrong friends, not obedient, got fired) they called 911. I wish this trend never caught on, but it ran for generations in my family :(

This practice has scared my life enough I'd identify trauma, but never ever seek help from what I've been through. I do want to raise awareness since its way too common and way to easy to in many places.