Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm

I am an Aspie and a very bright one at that .... like most Aspies are.
I live with a Schizophrenic guy who shows no emotion, weather happy of sad, I think he believes my reality is 'out of this world.' For instance, I am a tidy person, well organised, a worldly person who is savvy in most things such as computers, motor bikes, world knowledge, travelling the globe and much more.
I see him sitting all day long just staring at the floor or the screen saver on the computer. I have asked him 'what are you thinking of' his reply is always, 'don't know.'
I have tried to help him - but now I am so over it. I did suggest he get on the DSP but he has no interest.
He is very happy to 'bludge' off people and get them to run his life for him, I am not one of them.
I have met Schizophrenic people and most of them are trying to help themselves and they have made a point of creating a better life for themselves.
My house mate has no intention of doing such as the guys/girls have done to improve their lives.
What is your view on this subject? :?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Apr 2018, 6:12 am

If he's on meds, it's possible that the meds kind of turned him into a zombie & he lacks the mental capacity to do anymore than he already is. The reason I'm thinking zombie is because of the way he's just staring.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 8:00 am

His "zombieness" is likely not due to meds, but to the sickness itself. Modern meds are good at treating positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions) but less at negative (apathy, flat affect). If the person is on meds but appear mentally absent then that could simply be the negative symptoms affecting him. His indifference to getting treatment might also be due to a lack of insight in that he's sick. Either way, your friend needs help.

If you've met schizophrenics who try to take responsibility of their lives then you've met people like me, who weren't as devastated by the sickness as we could've been, and/or are in a state of recovery. I had incredible delusions for over 6 years before i responded to the meds (at one point was on 25 mg olanzapine, just 5 these days) and they nearly destroyed my life. Diseases on the schizophrenia spectrum physically alters your brain. And not for the better.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2018, 9:39 pm

Thank you guys for your support.