Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MissNobody1999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2019, 2:03 pm

For the past few months I have to repeat certain words over and over again. It's like the word is stuck in my mouth and I have to say a certain word
Like popcorn popcorn popcorn. It's like an itch in my head and my brain (I guess) feels better after saying the word over and over again. I'm not sure what this is but my doctor sent me to get tested for ADHD mainly because I have problems focusing and I'm forgetting things lately. but I dont have any insurance right now I already owe my last doctor visit over a thousand dollars. So I'm literally feeling like I'm lossing it and have no where to go. 8O

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? (Serious replies please)

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 2:17 pm

I don't do whole words, so much as rolling around a syllable, It feels really nice to do.

Edit: I think that it pertains to autism rather than schizophrenia, bipolar etc

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

What you're describing sounds like what psychologists call palilalia (or echolalia if it's other people's words that you repeat). It's quite common in a variety of conditions, though the reason for it can differ between them. In autism, it can be a form of "stimming" (a repetitive sensory action which can calm us, communicate emotions that we can't put into words, or help us to feel more comfortable in our own bodies). In ADHD, it can be a result of differences in the way that impulse control is processed by the brain. It's also common in conditions which involve tics, such as Tourette's Syndrome and conditions where the brain has low levels of dopamine (for example, Parkinson's disease).

I do something similar myself, usually with a word that I've just heard or read which I particularly like the sound of, or sometimes just completely nonsense words that I make up myself (a bit like talking in tongues). In my case it's almost certainly stimming due to my autism - hopefully your forthcoming tests will be able to narrow it down for you.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 11:05 pm

Yes, I do this.

I love the word 'dangle.'

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 11:08 pm

It's usually a phrase, or a song lyric for me.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 7:10 pm

I Always did that. Since childhood. I stopped as soon as i could but then i repeated phrases again n again n annoyed my brother extremely
I tried to stop n couldnt
I do it in front of my kidsnow
I cant seem to stop

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm

Yes, I do. Probably as long as I could remember.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 7:43 pm

Yeah, at times I do tend to talk like a broken record. Mainly, this is because I don't talk to people much, so I tend to repeat words out loud to myself because sometimes I don't think I've said something right the first time.

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
What you're describing sounds like what psychologists call palilalia (or echolalia if it's other people's words that you repeat).

This right here is a great example of why I need to keep reading this forum.

I, too, repeat words and phrases. I assumed it was OCD, but now that I know it has a name, I'm going to research the hell out of "palilalia". Thank you so much for that!!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2019, 10:38 pm

Oculus wrote:
Trogluddite wrote:
What you're describing sounds like what psychologists call palilalia (or echolalia if it's other people's words that you repeat).

This right here is a great example of why I need to keep reading this forum.

I, too, repeat words and phrases. I assumed it was OCD, but now that I know it has a name, I'm going to research the hell out of "palilalia". Thank you so much for that!!
I'm curious about this too & should do some research but I'm busy lately & I may forget. I used to repeat certain words & phrases a lot as a kid. I also used to talk to myself & I got in a bit of trouble when I was in skewl for talking to myself & repeating words & phrases. I kind of forced myself to stop talking to myself out loud some. I still do it but not nearly as much as I used to. I do it in my head a lot more than when I was little. I got on OCD medication & some of my OCD stuff improved but the urge to repeat words & phrases did not. I speculated that this may be related to the verbal form of tourettes but I never really looked into it. I'm kinda wondering if there's any medication that might help with this. Perhaps meds for tourettes might help but I'm not sure. If anybody reading this post has found any medication that helped I'd be interested in hearing about it. Not just for me but for others reading this thread or other threads I may read & decide to post in related to this.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 11:42 am

I've always done this. It's called echolalia/palilalia.