Page 7 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 9:42 am

Now you’re diagnosing. The Narcs I know wear it like a badge. Have you ever worked in Finance? They’re everywhere. Except the covert ones who are more sly.
You asked for my degrees to speak on the subject. How about a street degree. Not enough? Tough luck for me, huh?
Look I get it. Passive aggressive wins the day.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 10:03 am

Claiming that “they’re everywhere” in finance is kind of proving my overall point.

No, I haven’t diagnosed anyone with NPD or anything else. I’ve suspected that a couple people I knew had it. For example, I suspect that my abusive ex has ASPD and NPD, but I can’t know for sure. He does seem to fit the diagnostic criteria for both disorders that’s in the DSM, but I’m not a psychologist.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 10:23 am

You obviously haven’t worked with stockbrokers. “What’s in it for me?” is practically their mantra. A prerequisite for employment. And you’re not a clinical psychologist. Yet you feel you can lecture me on what I say or how I say it. By all means knock yourself out.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 10:30 am

Eyeselation wrote:
You obviously haven’t worked with stockbrokers. “What’s in it for me?” is practically their mantra.
Once again, this kind of proves my overall point. I suppose narcissists would appear to be everywhere if people used the label so broadly.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 10:43 am

So to cause no more misunderstandings or misinterpretations…

“ What does knock yourself out mean in slang?
informal : to make oneself very tired by doing work. I knocked myself out to get the job done on time. In United States, used to tell someone to go ahead and do something.”

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 11:03 am

I see you’ve taken my advice. Please continue. You seem to like the feeling of empowerment it gives you. Happy to oblige. You think you’ve proven your point while you’ve definitely proven mine. Thanks.
Like I said before “If you’ve seen One (narcissist) then you’ve seen one.”
Everybody displays differently. My focus was on certain type.
Used the word “everybody”. Is that a No-No too? Like “everywhere”?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 11:18 am

The correctness of words like “everybody” and “everywhere” depends on context. They are very often overused since we don’t know everybody and haven’t been everywhere. Confirmation bias is often at work when they are used. For example, people sometimes say stuff like: “Everyone is so rude these days” while completely overlooking the decent things that others have done even that day. I suspect that something similar could be going on when people make various claims regarding narcissism. Humans are prone to biases. That’s why I think valid research and official diagnoses are so important.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 03 Mar 2024, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 11:20 am

You say that like it’s a bad thing.
That was sarcasm in case it went right over your head. Like most of what I’ve already said.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 11:44 am

What exactly do you feel went over my head?

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 12:01 pm

late response, but

Quote:
B) having a child with autism can be a very heavy burden. To have your own baby not look at you, not want to spend time with you can be emotionally damaging. There might be reason to believe that some mothers develop narcissistic behavior to protect themselves from this rejection.

This sounds like victim-blaming. Typical narcissistic thought pattern. "I'm not a toxic person, I just uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh being a parent is really hard okay?"

She says having a child with autism is a very heavy burden. A burden. A remarkably heavy one, even. My sister, please put down your cross. Imagine a world where researchers regarded (narcissistic) parents with the same leeriness as they do children with autistic tendencies, can you even imagine? The field of autism research would look completely different.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 2:27 pm

Medium article
Finance is full of them, they’re “everywhere” but not everyone in Finance is a Narcissist. How’s that for a disclaimer…

“ Any profession that offers status (others look up to you) and the likelihood of receiving praise and admiration attracts narcissists. Many narcissists portray themselves as highly humanitarian and caring people. I know covert narcissists that are CEO’s, lawyers and IT professionals. Politicians, actors, physicians…all and any profession where they receive a lot of attention, where people may come for advice and so forth. The public persona and the person behind closed doors are frighteningly different. Greed and narcissism go hand in hand.
Extreme narcissists envy and resent people who are wealthier or more powerful than they are, which means that they will do anything to surpass these people and make them feel like losers in comparison. This stems from an intense underlying fear that many narcissists hide — the sense that they aren’t good enough and will be found out. This is highly threatening and they counteract this sense of inadequacy by bolstering their confidence and bravado to fool others.”

Not getting an argument out of me on that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 2:34 pm

It’s often helpful to provide a link to the article.

Those with NPD can be attracted to positions of power, but I don’t think we have any firm data on what percentage of people in any line of work are or aren’t narcissistic. Of course, people can have traits without having the disorder as well.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 2:45 pm

We don’t have “firm data” for a lot of things. Doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Sorry to break it to you.

No “firm data” on how many females have been misdiagnosed as something other than autistic for the last 50 years for example. Doesn’t mean it never happened or still happens.

Last edited by Eyeselation on 03 Mar 2024, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 2:52 pm

I tend to be skeptical of extraordinary claims until I have sufficient evidence. Of course, it’s quite possible that your definition of “everywhere” differs from mine.

The fact that women were misdiagnosed in the past isn’t quite the same situation as the current argument - as what’s occurring in the present. Sure, lots of people aren’t diagnosed, but I don’t think it’s as extreme as you are making it out to be.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 2:56 pm

I lived my evidence. Not asking you to believe anything. Nor do I care at this point.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 2:56 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Well, you said that this thread sounded like something a narc would conjure up.

You also said that you have lived AND worked with them your entire life. People who are narcissistic don’t typically admit to it. I’m not disputing your reality. I just don’t think people who aren’t psychologists are qualified to diagnose people.

Having NPD is not something that someone can help, and they aren’t necessarily bad people. I think we need to be careful about stigmatizing them, especially since some members of WP are diagnosed with it or were said to have some traits by diagnosticians.

Can easily appreciate .. TP empathy point of veiw ..but having dealt with a great number of people , whom have seriously wronged me in a repeated process, that I was given to understand that I was lucky to escape with my life , but late hubby was not so Lucky. Living through a mutual situation . And having grown up with repeated incidences of , what , I have learned to be Narcisstic traits in humans over my life (.Judging by my very few psyche classes in college)
(Which btw by no means am claiming qualifications to make professional judgements). Am sadly left to see Eyeselations point of veiw , very keenly ! 8O . And having been the object of repeated distruction of my limited life path.
By the large varieties of variations of people , (i have considered to be very possibly NARC type of individuals .)
Under these circumstances ,any person might NOT be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to persons demostrating
such NARC. typical traits. :ninja: . Having said that have generally noticed a high degree of Naivete amongst Aspie
individuals . That quite honestly would feel neglectful for not having been able to warn people ( Aspies) about anyone
demostrating those tendencies in there lives. :skull:
*******. *****. *****. *****. ******
Personal opinion: Any NARC. person demostrating those tendencies would automatically be subject to my descretion
concerning any interactions , A kind , friendly NARC might seem to me to be Someone waiting for the right moment to
( make the kill) on the object of their attention . :roll: ...potentially appearing to be opportunists regardless of disadvantage to the next person. Apologies in Advance for my level of Bias .
And have some degree of sadness for peeps that through whatever means, Have a trend towards demostrating such tendencies. Regardless of any intial impressions of kindness.

where ever you go ,there you are