Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DonQuoteme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm

d057 wrote:
Would you consider yourself "proud to be Autistic" similar to people saying they are proud to be GLBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender)?

While I'm not sure that anyone can technically be proud of something they didn't achieve (because they don't choose to be AS or GLBT), I think coping with having AS and with being GLBT can be quite an achievement in itself due to the associated difficulties & stigmas.

It's a separate issue whether they are comfortable with it, and that's what coming out and Gay Pride is really all about. In a sense, accepting you have Aspergers is a little like "coming out".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jun 2012, 5:40 am

I think when trying to refute or explain gay or trans pride and suggesting a corollary in being proud of being autistic, that it is vitally important to refer to the meaning of "pride" as used within the LGBT movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_pride

Quote:
Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance. Pride, as opposed to shame and social stigma, is the predominant outlook that bolsters most LGBT rights movements throughout the world. What’s more, pride has lent its name to LGBT-themed organizations, institutes, foundations, book titles, periodicals and even a cable TV station and the Pride Library.

It is about taking a stance against discrimination and violence and building community. It is meant to oppose shame. It is not about achievements, which is not the only definition of pride:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pride

Quote:
pride
noun
a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
the state or feeling of being proud.
a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.
pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself: civic pride.
something that causes a person or persons to be proud: His art collection was the pride of the family.

While no dictionary is the strictly definitive description of word usage, it does serve as a starting point.

DonQuoteme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2012, 6:59 am

Verdandi wrote:
I think when trying to refute or explain gay or trans pride and suggesting a corollary in being proud of being autistic, that it is vitally important to refer to the meaning of "pride" as used within the LGBT movement.

You have a point but it really depends upon the context of the word "pride" that was intended by d057 when he posed the question and the sense that readers will interpret it. I have to admit I for one didn't have the GLBT definition in mind because I was answering with my AS hat on, not my GLBT hat. I'm not even sure that the GLBT movement can speak for all GLBTs, since it's really a political movement, and not all GLBTs are political. Arguably, the general public thinks "GLBT pride" refers to being as comfortable with your sexuality as heterosexuals are.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 12:52 pm

I am pretty sure that childbirth is not a fun thing to experience. But I am sure it is rewarding for the mother to experience it when she sees the child for the first time.

tomamil wrote:
saying i am proud being gay or autistic is like saying i am proud i was born. my mom pushed me through her vagina, she should be the one being proud of that.

but i am proud of who i am and what i've achieved and what i've achieved is thanks to who i am and therefore thanks to my being gay and autistic. although i guess i could achieve the same even if was NT.

Sarahliveshere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2012, 6:42 am

d057 wrote:
Would you consider yourself "proud to be Autistic" similar to people saying they are proud to be GLBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender)?

I echo what a few posters have said about being neither proud nor ashamed of being a lesbian or having ASD as it's not something I actively chose. However, I am fiercely proud of how I negotiate the complexities of both aspects in my every day life. I think that homosexuality and autism can generate acute feelings of alienation, not quite belonging or fitting in. It takes monumental strength, courage and tenacity just to do things that others take for granted. You encounter barriers that others couldn't imagine. However, what really counts is not the cards that you were dealt, but how you play the game.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

I really like the way you put that. My feelings may change someday, but for right now I find that I am proud to be gay but not proud to be Autistic.

Sarahliveshere wrote:
d057 wrote:

I echo what a few posters have said about being neither proud nor ashamed of being a lesbian or having ASD as it's not something I actively chose. However, I am fiercely proud of how I negotiate the complexities of both aspects in my every day life. I think that homosexuality and autism can generate acute feelings of alienation, not quite belonging or fitting in. It takes monumental strength, courage and tenacity just to do things that others take for granted. You encounter barriers that others couldn't imagine. However, what really counts is not the cards that you were dealt, but how you play the game.

thisaintnoparty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2012, 8:11 am

very proud :D

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

Yeah, I think I am proud.

I'm a gender-queer bisexual Aspie. None of those things are EASY. It means I'm always taking the path of most resistance. The fact that I'm now happy and comfortable with who I really am, and can function as a member of that society, over-coming all those obstacles, is something to be damn proud of.

However, I'm 39. If you'd asked me when I was 19, my answer would have been very different. It's a cliche, but it DOES get better.

Indique
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2012, 10:56 pm

Once again in my life finding myself on the road less traveled. Thanks to Sarahliveshere for the comment about "fiercely proud"! I like that sentiment and resonate with it! One thing, as a result of being non-normative, I've had to actually come more to face my identity. It's not the easy choice and assumption. So I have to think of what I really want. When I was young, I had experiences with both genders, but when I was ready to settle down, the only model I considered was heterosexual monogamy. Similarly, I also tried to normalize my aspie behaviours. I was pretty embarrassed and highly in denial, kind of mentally whitewashed lots of early experiences for many years. Ii still get embarrassed sometimes. And I hope now I'm more often in a place of loving myself, and totally accepting wherever I am. Yes, I still want to change, and I work damn hard at it, but I also like who I am. Bright Blessings, Indique!

BoneslyGrifter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

I'm not "proud" of it, it's just who I am. I wouldn't change it and I'll fight for it, but I'm not all "HEY GUYS I'M HERE I'M QUEER AND I'M AUTISTIC LOVE ME OR GTFO." It's a non-issue for me unless someone comes at me directly.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

I'm proud of both.

no, being neither is an "accomplishment", but living with them sure as hell is.

I scored in the 99th percentile when I took the ACT, and I fell asleep in the middle of it and never studied. I doubt the notes I've taken since *kindergarten* would fill even one notebook, but I've been an excellent student my entire life. nearly everything I will "achieve" in life ties back to doing well in academics, which is purely accidental. if I'd had a different childhood environment or if my parents hadn't spoken the prestige dialect of Standard American English the same amount of work that had me at the top of my class for years would have had me failing.

if you want to get really technical about it, pretty much everything you have ever "accomplished" in life has been a result of your environmental conditioning and genetics. if you think that rules out pride then you pretty much should forget being proud of anything.

Shlomo
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2012, 2:47 am

I don't feel much of anything toward having ASD or being gay. I don't really act like many gay people though, don't hang around them. Definitely not proud, would rather not be gay or autistic but I'm at peace with it.

definelogic420
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2012, 2:23 pm

I'm neither proud nor ashamed that I have AS, it's just a part of who I am with as many benefits as hindsights, at least in my experience. Same goes for the fact that I'm totally gay and have never been physically attracted to the opposite sex in my life. I'm not ashamed or anything, I just believe in getting on with things and trying to live my life, such as it is at present.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

I've never really understood gay pride, or autistic pride. For me, pride is something I feel in my accomplishments. I feel proud that my plays were shown publicly. I feel pride that I was paid to present at a conference. I feel pride when I get an excellent performance review at work.

Being gay and being autistic are just merely conditions of my self, like being male, having hazel eyes, and standing 5'7". I can love myself, but I can be proud of things I do.

Knalraap
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

I don't feel pride in being gay or autistic, they're just aspects of myself that I learned to accept and live with.

Last edited by Knalraap on 29 Oct 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:29 pm

Like I said, I consider myself to be in the neither proud nor ashamed vote. I don't think of my sexuality/Autism as an accomplishment nor do I consider it something that should be fixed.

Knalraap wrote:
I don't feel pride in being gay or autisctic, they're just aspects of myself that I learned to accept and live with.