Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:50 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
It's hard to argue with an anti-positivist social-constructionist considering they don't believe in empirical evidence. Anyway, gender is not a social construct. It is based in biology. Gender roles may largely be social constructs, but gender itself is not. Gender is based on biology--hormones, brain structure, and so on. Those are the things that determine gender. Gender is not just some convenient thing one can just change on a whim.

No, gender is based on cultural traits. Sex is based on biology. If you've studied linguistics the difference is obvious. If you insist gender is biological, than any language where gender is part of it's grammar makes absolutely no sense.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 7:32 am

Ganondox wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
It's hard to argue with an anti-positivist social-constructionist considering they don't believe in empirical evidence. Anyway, gender is not a social construct. It is based in biology. Gender roles may largely be social constructs, but gender itself is not. Gender is based on biology--hormones, brain structure, and so on. Those are the things that determine gender. Gender is not just some convenient thing one can just change on a whim.

No, gender is based on cultural traits. Sex is based on biology. If you've studied linguistics the difference is obvious. If you insist gender is biological, than any language where gender is part of it's grammar makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.joshuakennon.com/the-six-com ... in-humans/

Soo what do you make of this?

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 7:55 am

Been watching this with a bit of skepticism. Here's the only reason why:

It seems that the word 'gender' is not being defined as a discussion point. I see it being used as two separate things.

1. Gender as a biological construct
2. Gender as a social construct.

Gender roles are definitely a social construct. My wife is the most 'man' acting woman I have ever been around, but definitely female in other respects. Why? She grew up under Mao. That means she grew up in a system that basically saw men and women as equal. It's one of the reasons you saw so many pictures of that time of men and women wearing the same clothes. Mao actually removed most of the clothing aspects because he recognized it was a social division reinforced by outward markers. This was not only to equalize the genders but to equalize the masses and remove class divisions. Basically, poor farmers dressed the same as high ranking dignitaries. Well, except for the corruption, but, I am speaking of the idea of what was done and not the actuality of it. Mao was a terrible human. Him and his cronies.

But, she can be the most 'mothering' person I know. But socially? She has no feminine mannerisms at all and really, most from her age group from 'mainland' I have seen do not. It is really reflected in the differences between old Hong Kong or Taiwan and old Mainland China.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 6:27 pm

green0star wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Soo what do you make of this?

No, gender is not blank slate, but it is still ultimately cultural. Yes, neurology factors into gender, but it needs to be understood ANY mental classification only in context of the culture. So gender is the result of the intersection between neurology and cultural expectations based on sex and other factors. Many cultures have more than two genders.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

Linguistic gender is not the same as a person's gender. Words can have more than one definition. German and Latin have three genders, but that doesn't mean people have three genders.

Yes, gender roles are culturally influenced, but gender is ultimately rooted in biology. That is why there are only two genders--male and female. Trans people transition from one gender to the other despite the fact that their biological sex remains the same because their chromosomes don't change.

The people who claim to be "non-binary" are just making life more difficult for actual trans people. I'm not saying that everyone who call themselves non-binary aren't trans, but if they do, they are confused or misguided. And this non-binary nonsense only serves to confuse people who are probably already confused.

This non-binary stuff does no one any favours. Being gay was confusing enough when I was growing up. I can only imagine how it must be to feel like the wrong gender and then have all this non-binary stuff thrown in there to muddy the waters and cause confusion, not just for transgendered people, but everyone else too.

Transgender sounds crazy enough to a normal person without throwing this non-binary crap into the mix. All it does is make life harder for trans people.

Calling yourself non-binary does no one any favours. It sure as hell does not help trans people. All it does is cause more confusion.

You really wonder why trans people are upset when these "non-binaries" and SJWs speak on behalf of trans people? It's because all this stuff does is make life harder for them. Stop it.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Linguistic gender is not the same as a person's gender. Words can have more than one definition. German and Latin have three genders, but that doesn't mean people have three genders.

Yes, gender roles are culturally influenced, but gender is ultimately rooted in biology. That is why there are only two genders--male and female.
Sorry, but that's not biologically correct.

The six biological karyotype sexes that do not result in death to the fetus are:

X – Roughly 1 in 2,000 to 1 in 5,000 people (Turner’s )
XX – Most common form of female
XXY – Roughly 1 in 500 to 1 in 1,000 people (Klinefelter)
XY – Most common form of male
XYY – Roughly 1 out of 1,000 people
XXXY – Roughly 1 in 18,000 to 1 in 50,000 births

Just in case you want a good read, you should go ahead and see the whole page.

Not gonna comment on any of the rest as it is based on a faulty understanding of biology.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm

zkydz wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Yes, gender roles are culturally influenced, but gender is ultimately rooted in biology. That is why there are only two genders--male and female.

The six biological karyotype sexes that do not result in death to the fetus are:

Not gonna comment on any of the rest as it is based on a faulty understanding of biology.

Those are defects, not sexes or genders.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 9:09 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
zkydz wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

That is not a defect. It is the way it is. Period. You call it what you want. But you are twisting any evidence towards your own narrative.

When it completely possible to have three distinct genders within one person (as referenced in the article, or did you bother to read that?) it just kinda proves you're locked into the mindset. Nothing will change your mind.

I don't care to bother with changing your mind.

Biology speaks for itself. You can't claim biology and then discount it. Kinda playing both sides of the fence. Which is ironic since it only has 'two sides' itself, yet you straddle it very well. Maybe you're bifencial and it bugs you deeply.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

Most of the binary trans people I know don't have issues with nb people. Frankly I jink you're wrong and incredibly unpleasant lmao. Not a surprise from someone who jokes about triggers, which are an actual issue people have.

I'm non binary. I know damn well I'm not a man, it's something I know internally. I also know that I don't identity as a woman, and it's not about gender roles or clothes. Even if I wasn't concerned about backlash I'd probably continue presenting the same way, which includes dresses and makeup. I have some dysphoria, which is brought on by my period.

Again, your argument is a bunch of crap much like "bi people don't exist and take away from the gay community."

And my bi/pan, nb asexual self knows what I am. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's an ugly, invalidating opinion.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2016, 10:20 am

zkydz wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
zkydz wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

That is not a defect. It is the way it is. Period. You call it what you want. But you are twisting any evidence towards your own narrative.

When it completely possible to have three distinct genders within one person (as referenced in the article, or did you bother to read that?) it just kinda proves you're locked into the mindset. Nothing will change your mind.

I don't care to bother with changing your mind.

Biology speaks for itself. You can't claim biology and then discount it. Kinda playing both sides of the fence. Which is ironic since it only has 'two sides' itself, yet you straddle it very well. Maybe you're bifencial and it bugs you deeply.

Those are disorders, not genders
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/chromosomes/diagnose/

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 10:55 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Like I said before, you can cherry pick all you want. You are finding the specific information that supports your narrative only.

I'm not going to tit for tat with someone who has made up their mind.

And, when a mind can be mapped one gender from the chromosomal coding, it is not applicable as to the source. What is applicable is the outcome. And, that outcome is gender, biologically. You can't play both sides of the fence. You are doing so. Being Autistic is a disorder. Yet, here you are, autistic. Does it matter if it is a disorder or what it makes of us?

So, how about this, you win. I will continue to think the way I do. You continue to think the way you do. But, your way of thinking is the same as the people who thought that they could 'wish away' or deny autism as well. That same thinking made autistic people 'ret*d' and 'lower than' and 'othered'. Whatever root cause is at play, since you do want to play with semantics, there is nothing anybody can do to convince you otherwise.

And, that is why I cannot ever agree with the mindset you display, no matter from whom it comes.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm

Actually, there is something that can change my mind--evidence.

I don't think I'm playing semantics by saying that abnormal karyotypes aren't sexes. Do scientists classify them as separate sexes?

And just because someone has a disorder doesn't mean I think they are less than human. And I'm not sure how you drew the conclusion that my line of thinking is akin to wishing away autism.

These "non-binary" people are just doing it because they are confused or because it's trendy. And, in doing so, they are belittling actual transgender people and the issues they face.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 1:59 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

See? That's the point. You were given evidence. And you just want to argue. So, argue with yourself or other people.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

zkydz wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

See? That's the point. You were given evidence. And you just want to argue. So, argue with yourself or other people.

I was given a claim, not evidence. You cited some guy who claims Karyotypes are the same as sexes. I doubt a biologist would agree.

If there are biologists who do agree with this Kennon guy, please cite them. I doubt a biologist would classify someone with Klinefelter Syndrome as a different sex.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:43 pm

Nope, nope, you haven't answered the one question.

Autism is a disorder. Does that make you autistic or not?

Enough with the deflection and cherry picking.

Try answering that one simple question without any crap or deflection. It is a simple yes or no.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2016, 5:31 pm

zkydz wrote:
Nope, nope, you haven't answered the one question.

Autism is a disorder. Does that make you autistic or not?

Enough with the deflection and cherry picking.

Try answering that one simple question without any crap or deflection. It is a simple yes or no.

My being autistic has nothing to do with this. And you never directly asked me if I was autistic, so how am I deflecting?

Yes, autism is a disorder. I have a disorder. I am outside of the norm. What is your point?

Are you trying to imply that I think people outside the norm are some how sub-human? I never said any such thing.