Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SpookyMarilyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm

I'm currently 14 (turning 15 in late December), and I still haven't felt any romantic feelings towards anyone, nor an urge to be in a relationship. I'm a bit stunted in mental and social growth, as I didn't start really feeling sexual attraction until I was about 12. I still see certain people and think "Man, that guy/girl's hot!" :D , but I never really feel the urge to tell them or start a relationship with them.

Aromantic? Late bloomer? Is it because of my Asperger's? :?

cinnabot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm

A popular topic lately :)

Just enjoy it while it lasts. Don't worry about romance until it grabs you. But definitely work on having friends, as having friends is a pretty important stepping stone to romances, if and when you ever decide to get to that :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 8:39 pm

You're still young. I agree with Cinnabot's advice.

It's not worth trying to be something which you're not. Just because society says you "must."

speckledtail
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Dec 2015, 2:04 am

I'm aromantic myself, though I questioned if I was a late bloomer for different reasons. In my opinion, if you feel like you're aromantic and feel comfortable with the label, so ahead and use it. If you later do experience romantic attraction, maybe look into it a little more. You could be sometimes or part aromantic (gray-aromantic, aroflux, etc.). Even if you do chose to identify as aromantic now, but find out you're not later, it's fine. People change. Just identify like you want.

I'm fairly sure there are even labels for people who specifically feel like their autism/aspergers/neurodivergence cause their being aromantic. I don't know what they are off the top of my head, though.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 2:15 am

I was the same as you for ages until I figured out it wasn't being romantic that ever troubled me, I just don't like wasting words so I can maintain a sense of calm around it...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: