A giant list of Christian affirming churches

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:30 am

For me, there is zero logic in the idea that "God loves everyone" (but/except gay people). The only correction to this method of thinking is to upgrade Christianity to truly accept everyone, including LGBT folk.

It is certainly a better ideology than anything in communist countries (China & Russia are both extremely homophobic - Russia for instance, bans so called homosexual propaganda).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_affirming_LGBT_people

Last edited by blitzkrieg on 07 Feb 2022, 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:31 am

Jesus never preached against LGBTQ+ people.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:34 am

Fnord wrote:

I agree. I think somehow Christianity has ended up in a bad place with homophobic attitudes. The old testament is probably the source for homophobic Christian attitudes. The new testament was/is much more inclusive & forward-thinking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:42 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I agree. I think somehow Christianity has ended up in a bad place with homophobic attitudes. The old testament is probably the source for homophobic Christian attitudes. The new testament was/is much more inclusive & forward-thinking.
Everybody in the Church seems to know John 3:16 . . .

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

What most of them seem to overlook, however, is the meaning of the next verse, John 3:17 . . .

"For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him."

Jesus did not judge anyone except those who defiled the Temple and the hypocrites who ran it.  Prostitutes?  Tax collectors?  The thief on the cross?  All those who receive Him are accepted by Him, with only the admonishment to "Go forth and sin no more".

Last edited by Fnord on 07 Feb 2022, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:59 am

Fnord wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Everybody in the Church seems to know John 3:16 . . .

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

What most of them seem to overlook, however, is the meaning of the next verse, John 3:17 . . .

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Jesus did not judge anyone except those who defiled the Temple and the hypocrites who ran it.  Prostitutes?  Tax collectors?  The thief on the cross?  All those who receive Him are accepted by Him, with only the admonishment to "Go forth and sin no more".

It is true. Some of the best friends of Jesus were prostitutes, including Mary Magdalene.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:05 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Some of the best friends of Jesus were prostitutes, including Mary Magdalene.
This 1400 year old myth has been debunked.  The portrayal of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute began in the year 591 A.D. when Pope Gregory I wrongly conflated Mary Magdalene, who was introduced in Luke 8:2, with Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:39) and the unnamed "sinful woman" who anointed Jesus's feet in Luke 7:36–50.  Pope Gregory's Easter sermon resulted in a widespread belief that Mary Magdalene was a repentant prostitute or promiscuous woman.  Then elaborate medieval "conspiracy theories" from western Europe emerged which told exaggerated tales of Mary Magdalene's wealth and beauty, as well as of her alleged journey to southern France.  In 1969, Pope Paul VI removed the identification of Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and the "sinful woman" from the General Roman Calendar, but the view of her as a former prostitute persists in popular culture.

Last edited by Fnord on 07 Feb 2022, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:15 am

Fnord wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
This 1400 year old myth has been debunked.  The portrayal of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute began in the year 591 A.D. when Pope Gregory I wrongly conflated Mary Magdalene, who was introduced in Luke 8:2, with Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:39) and the unnamed "sinful woman" who anointed Jesus's feet in Luke 7:36–50.  Pope Gregory's Easter sermon resulted in a widespread belief that Mary Magdalene was a repentant prostitute or promiscuous woman.  Then elaborate medieval legends from western Europe emerged which told exaggerated tales of Mary Magdalene's wealth and beauty, as well as of her alleged journey to southern France.  In 1969, Pope Paul VI removed the identification of Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and the "sinful woman" from the General Roman Calendar, but the view of her as a former prostitute persists in popular culture.

It is indeed contested bible content. I would not go so far as saying it has been debunked, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:15 am

I used to believe in the Magdalene Prostitute Myth-----until I actually did a little research on it.

She is presented as Jesus' "right-hand person" in many recent films.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:20 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Fnord wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
This 1400 year old myth has been debunked.  The portrayal of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute began in the year 591 A.D. when Pope Gregory I wrongly conflated Mary Magdalene, who was introduced in Luke 8:2, with Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:39) and the unnamed "sinful woman" who anointed Jesus's feet in Luke 7:36–50.  Pope Gregory's Easter sermon resulted in a widespread belief that Mary Magdalene was a repentant prostitute or promiscuous woman.  Then elaborate medieval "Conspiracy Theories" from western Europe emerged which told exaggerated tales of Mary Magdalene's wealth and beauty, as well as of her alleged journey to southern France.  In 1969, Pope Paul VI removed the identification of Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and the "sinful woman" from the General Roman Calendar, but the view of her as a former prostitute persists in popular culture.
It is indeed contested bible content. I would not go so far as saying it has been debunked, though.
Read the Bible and learn for yourself.  There is no statement in the Bible declaring Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany, and the "Sinful Woman" are the same person.  Nor is there any statement to support the claim that Mary (the mother of Jesus) intercedes with God on her worshippers' behalf.

So much "Christian" mythology has arisen that is not supported by the Bible that it is no wonder organized Christianity is as screwed up as it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:30 am

Even if it turns out she was a prostitute, I find her to have lots of dignity within her.

In the Victorian Era, there were many occasions in literature where prostitutes are presented as being of high dignity. A famous example is the prostitute in "Crime and Punishment," by Dostoyevsky---she "stood by her man" who went to the Gulag for murder for 30 years and more.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:42 am

Yeah, just because a person has a lot of sex, does not mean they are immoral. You can be an evil incel, either biologically male or female, sucking the life out of everybody elses' joy.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 12:54 pm

P.S, I shall re-read the bible at some point to have a look at those pieces of it again, Kraftie & Fnord. Thanks for your info'.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 1:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Fnord wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
This 1400 year old myth has been debunked.  The portrayal of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute began in the year 591 A.D. when Pope Gregory I wrongly conflated Mary Magdalene, who was introduced in Luke 8:2, with Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:39) and the unnamed "sinful woman" who anointed Jesus's feet in Luke 7:36–50.  Pope Gregory's Easter sermon resulted in a widespread belief that Mary Magdalene was a repentant prostitute or promiscuous woman.  Then elaborate medieval "Conspiracy Theories" from western Europe emerged which told exaggerated tales of Mary Magdalene's wealth and beauty, as well as of her alleged journey to southern France.  In 1969, Pope Paul VI removed the identification of Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and the "sinful woman" from the General Roman Calendar, but the view of her as a former prostitute persists in popular culture.
Read the Bible and learn for yourself.  There is no statement in the Bible declaring Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany, and the "Sinful Woman" are the same person.  Nor is there any statement to support the claim that Mary (the mother of Jesus) intercedes with God on her worshippers' behalf.

So much "Christian" mythology has arisen that is not supported by the Bible that it is no wonder organized Christianity is as screwed up as it is.

I have read the bible before, but I forget things... I am not a savant.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 1:29 am

Fnord wrote:
So much "Christian" mythology has arisen that is not supported by the Bible that it is no wonder organized Christianity is as screwed up as it is.[/color]

As a religion-nerd, Christianity honestly fascinates me. It's like three different religions stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat made out of Jesus fanfiction (astighfirullah)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 8:16 am

Barchan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So much "Christian" mythology has arisen that is not supported by the Bible that it is no wonder organized Christianity is as screwed up as it is.[/color]

As a religion-nerd, Christianity honestly fascinates me. It's like three different religions stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat made out of Jesus fanfiction (astighfirullah)

I see it as the main video game of religion. Islam, Judaism, Hinduism etc. are the DLC's.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 9:20 am

Barchan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That is why I recommend a person's first study of Christian ethics should begin with the Sermon On The Mount (Matthew 5:1 through 7:29).

• Sola scriptura.
• Sola fide.
• Sola gratia.
• Solo Christo.
• Soli Deo gloria.