Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 7:52 pm

How do you all cope with being both autistic and LGBT? I always worry people will hate me for either one or the other or both.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 8:15 pm

This sounds complex....But be careful of self fullfilling prophecies . Guess am a bit Naive in this area ..
but thought ,maybe choose your company as best as you can...Supposably ? people ? are suppose to like you for who you are ? if not. , then might not be a good choice for your Associations in Life . :shrug:

where ever you go ,there you are

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 4:55 am

Hmm, yeah that’s true, if people don’t support who I am they are not worth having around. I may need to be more selective who I spend time with.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 8:42 am

I cope just fine!

Ive been a member of the LGBTQ+ community since 1975 - way before my Autistic identity was confirmed. I am a member of a number of gay/queer support and activism groups in Cornwall. I have observed that there is a significant overlap between the AU and LGBTQ+ community here.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 11:37 am

Velorum wrote:
I cope just fine!

Ive been a member of the LGBTQ+ community since 1975 - way before my Autistic identity was confirmed. I am a member of a number of gay/queer support and activism groups in Cornwall. I have observed that there is a significant overlap between the AU and LGBTQ+ community here.

It’s the opposite for me, I was diagnosed autistic first at age 7 and came to realize I was a lesbian in high school. That’s good you are involved. I have noticed that here too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 12:32 am

As I've embraced my feminine side my social skills have become much better!
I've changed my wardrobe to make it obviously feminine. I went to the Town's Memorial Day Parade wearing Pink Hat!
I wear a hat all the time to protect my skin from the sun. In the garden I wear an olive one. When I go out and socialize I wear my pink one. I wore my floral Timex watch with a pink floral band.

I recently did my first social double entendre! A guy was shopping with his wife and stopped to look me over.
I said "thank you" and zoomed past them on my high heels. :D
Thanks for looking me over and thanks for stopping so I could get past you in a busy grocery store!

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 6:47 pm

BTDT wrote:
As I've embraced my feminine side my social skills have become much better!
I've changed my wardrobe to make it obviously feminine. I went to the Town's Memorial Day Parade wearing Pink Hat!
I wear a hat all the time to protect my skin from the sun. In the garden I wear an olive one. When I go out and socialize I wear my pink one. I wore my floral Timex watch with a pink floral band.

I recently did my first social double entendre! A guy was shopping with his wife and stopped to look me over.
I said "thank you" and zoomed past them on my high heels. :D
Thanks for looking me over and thanks for stopping so I could get past you in a busy grocery store!

That’s awesome!