Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 29 of 45 [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 45  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Excellent! My favorite is Hamlet. What is yours?

I also love Christopher Marlowe and some other plays from that era, such as The Spanish Tragedy, Arden of Faversham, and The Duchess of Malfi.

My favorite is Othello. And I find the character who is the most intriguing in that play to be Iago. Everyone trusts this guy, when he is actually a liar and master manipulator, who knows how to prey on the weaknesses of others. Ultimately, the insecure and jealous Othello walks right into Iago's web.

That is a great choice. What I love about Iago, which shows Shakespeare's gift, is that much of what he says makes sense and is agreeable. It's how Iago applies his opinions toward the world which is so horrifying. Lesser writers would make someone more obviously evil, and that character would feel far less real.

Shakespeare created a truly psychopathic character, centuries before the clinical definition.

I do enjoy how his observations were so accurate, and predate so much psychology. Do you think Hamlet has at least Asperger traits? I think in a sense he does. He is more obsessed with the breaking of a law than anyone else in the play. Others find his behavior confusing and baffling--he even makes inappropriate sexual jokes with Ophelia. His need for honesty helps lead to his death. He is still wrapped up in education despite his age. Of course, his grief could explain much of this, but others are confused by what the assume can only be grieving. And Ophelia's grief is somewhat different.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:58 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Excellent! My favorite is Hamlet. What is yours?

I also love Christopher Marlowe and some other plays from that era, such as The Spanish Tragedy, Arden of Faversham, and The Duchess of Malfi.

My favorite is Othello. And I find the character who is the most intriguing in that play to be Iago. Everyone trusts this guy, when he is actually a liar and master manipulator, who knows how to prey on the weaknesses of others. Ultimately, the insecure and jealous Othello walks right into Iago's web.

That is a great choice. What I love about Iago, which shows Shakespeare's gift, is that much of what he says makes sense and is agreeable. It's how Iago applies his opinions toward the world which is so horrifying. Lesser writers would make someone more obviously evil, and that character would feel far less real.

Shakespeare created a truly psychopathic character, centuries before the clinical definition.

I do enjoy how his observations were so accurate, and predate so much psychology. Do you think Hamlet has at least Asperger traits? I think in a sense he does. He is more obsessed with the breaking of a law than anyone else in the play. Others find his behavior confusing and baffling--he even makes inappropriate sexual jokes with Ophelia. His need for honesty helps lead to his death. He is still wrapped up in education despite his age. Of course, his grief could explain much of this, but others are confused by what the assume can only be grieving. And Ophelia's grief is somewhat different.

I've read where some have thought that of Hamlet. I, myself, always thought that when he was pretending to go crazy, he really was.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 5:12 am

I have absolutely no inspiration to write. I had stopped writing in April, because we were moving into a new apartment complex after a prolonged and bitter fight with our former landlords. I had figured I would start writing again after getting settled in. Well, I'm all settled, but I have absolutely zero inspiration to write. I look at projects I had been formerly working on, but the fire in the belly that had driven me to write seems to be extinguished. I admit that the experience with our former landlords has still left me feeling depressed, especially since they had tried to sink our chances of moving into a new apartment with a misleadingly bad reference (they noted noise complaints by neighbors, without ever mentioning that this was due to my daughter's autistic outbursts and melt downs), leaving me to think they had vindictively hoped we'd end up homeless. Any suggestions what I can do?

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2015, 5:30 am

madpeasant wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Jane Austen
Emily Dickinson
George Bernard Shaw
Henry Thoreau
Mark Twain
Isaac Asimov
Garrison Keillor

Wanna form a writing group?

Wow, are you sure about Garrison Keillor, Twain, and Thoreau? These three writers are my heros. I've been complimented by Professors and Professionals in regards to my writing. Are you sure of these folks were Aspies? Fascinating! 8O

None of these have been diagnosed however, Ruth Rendell was. Also Iris Murdoch was related to Christopher Gillberg by marriage. I was present when he said that she had all the characteristics of Aspergers. Good company indeed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 5:33 am

auntyjack wrote:
madpeasant wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Jane Austen
Emily Dickinson
George Bernard Shaw
Henry Thoreau
Mark Twain
Isaac Asimov
Garrison Keillor

Wanna form a writing group?

Wow, are you sure about Garrison Keillor, Twain, and Thoreau? These three writers are my heros. I've been complimented by Professors and Professionals in regards to my writing. Are you sure of these folks were Aspies? Fascinating! 8O

None of these have been diagnosed however, Ruth Rendell was. Also Iris Murdoch was related to Christopher Gillberg by marriage. I was present when he said that she had all the characteristics of Aspergers. Good company indeed.

So very probably were H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, and the still living James Elroy.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2015, 6:18 am

Posthumous dx was valid in the days when there were no known role models. Now it seems insulting to those who have a diagnosis to pass them over for mere speculation.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have absolutely no inspiration to write. I had stopped writing in April, because we were moving into a new apartment complex after a prolonged and bitter fight with our former landlords. I had figured I would start writing again after getting settled in. Well, I'm all settled, but I have absolutely zero inspiration to write. I look at projects I had been formerly working on, but the fire in the belly that had driven me to write seems to be extinguished. I admit that the experience with our former landlords has still left me feeling depressed, especially since they had tried to sink our chances of moving into a new apartment with a misleadingly bad reference (they noted noise complaints by neighbors, without ever mentioning that this was due to my daughter's autistic outbursts and melt downs), leaving me to think they had vindictively hoped we'd end up homeless. Any suggestions what I can do?

My uninspired turns out to be just as good as my inspired writing, usually. But I've found Sarah Selecky's Prompts which I can actually work with every day (write for 10 minutes)

sarahselecky.com

Today's is: 'Okay, now write about a sunrise that you remember. Describe it without using the words "sky" or "sun."'

And then there's that Artist's Way book that has you write 3 pages in a copy book every morning before anything else, about anything, at random even, I think. That was surprisingly helpful.

A few years ago I had a frustrating professor of English teach us Plays. Every day I came home and scribbled another scene in a farce, where he took the brunt of the worst. Highly cathartic. Could you make your former landlords ridiculous, without being seriously writing?

Best of luck. You've been through a lot; know that you will recover.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 9:32 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

My uninspired turns out to be just as good as my inspired writing, usually. But I've found Sarah Selecky's Prompts which I can actually work with every day (write for 10 minutes)

sarahselecky.com

Today's is: 'Okay, now write about a sunrise that you remember. Describe it without using the words "sky" or "sun."'

And then there's that Artist's Way book that has you write 3 pages in a copy book every morning before anything else, about anything, at random even, I think. That was surprisingly helpful.

A few years ago I had a frustrating professor of English teach us Plays. Every day I came home and scribbled another scene in a farce, where he took the brunt of the worst. Highly cathartic. Could you make your former landlords ridiculous, without being seriously writing?

Best of luck. You've been through a lot; know that you will recover.

Thank you for your sage advice. Actually, one of my unfinished projects involves a fictionalized real life, different former landlord who I am having undergo a curse by a tenant whose death he was ultimately responsible for, in what can be termed a Cthulhu Mythos story. Basically, his intestinal tract is turning into a carnivorous creature that wants to eat it's way out of his stomach. And this guy doesn't even compare to the assh*les who crossed my family and me just recently. I'm hoping to kill them off with fecal poisoning in another story. :twisted:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 12:26 pm

I love writing, but no one is ever going to read it. In a way I don't see the point of wasting my time on it. Basically I am wasting my time that I could be spending playing video games.

People tell me that I'm a good writer and they haven't even read my personal work. They read writing that I did for school! The people who told me that were teachers and I didn't feel like it was appropriate to share my personal crap with them and that's what my writing is. Crap.

Writing makes me happy but I'm considering giving the living heck up. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that out of my system.

Gaming should be my hobby because I'm having fun and can share with people. I just feel so hopeless when it comes to writing.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I love writing, but no one is ever going to read it. In a way I don't see the point of wasting my time on it. Basically I am wasting my time that I could be spending playing video games.

People tell me that I'm a good writer and they haven't even read my personal work. They read writing that I did for school! The people who told me that were teachers and I didn't feel like it was appropriate to share my personal crap with them and that's what my writing is. Crap.

Writing makes me happy but I'm considering giving the living heck up. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that out of my system.

Gaming should be my hobby because I'm having fun and can share with people. I just feel so hopeless when it comes to writing.

Has anyone read your writing done outside of school? And if not, are you willing to share your writing with others? Please, don't let your talent go to waste.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 6:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Has anyone read your writing done outside of school? And if not, are you willing to share your writing with others? Please, don't let your talent go to waste.

I offer. I was told that nobody is interested. I'm more than willing to share. I spent my entire day working on my series. I love writing, but darn it hurts.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 7:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I offer. I was told that nobody is interested. I'm more than willing to share. I spent my entire day working on my series. I love writing, but darn it hurts.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any writer's groups or workshops in your area?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 5:22 am

I just wrote for almost three hours early this morning! I hope this means I've thrown off that funk that I've allowed to keep me from writing. Helps being sober. I've told my wife that we really need to stop drinking so much, not just for the sake of my writing, but also for the sake of keeping our livers healthy and happy.

Valkerie
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2015, 3:04 am

I've written two full-length screenplays thus far, and have six more on the way. Three of my stories are retro reboots to Sonic the Hedgehog from 1991-1995, one is my adaptation of Silent Hill 2 that is CLOSELY based on the game and not loose like those crappy movies that were made, one is an MMPR (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), and the other three are my own original story about my alter-ego, whom I named Unix Starship, set in the future and classified as a Cyberpunk. As of now, the following are almost complete:

The Adventures of LU - Over 65% complete, story completed
Sonic: New Beginnings - Needs re-envisioning and re-transcribing, story completed (this was the first thing I ever wrote)

I also have these coming up:

The Adventures of LU II - pitch completed, expanding into full story, searching for musical inspiration
The Adventures of LU III - pitch completed, project deferred until later
Silent Hill: Heaven's Night - Pitch completed, project deferred until later
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Pitch completed, project deferred until later
Sonic: Journey Through Westside Island - Pitch completed, story 15% completed
Sonic: Adventures of Angel Island - Pitch completed, story 10% completed

I'm doing musical chairs with my writing, but it's totally possible for an aspie to be successful as a writer. If you're like me, then you can emulate human behaviour in your writing by logically studying humans. Believe it or not, there is a mathematical system to deciphering cues and body language. If you can get it down, it can help you jump beyond your own shortcomings. I know this because I have to use that same system all the time to tell if someone's trying to hustle or threaten me or not (I live almost exclusively at night with questionable people). I'm not good enough with it to fully function in social situations, but I can certainly analyze someone in a heartbeat. Use that analysis to build a character based off human heuristics.

... I hope I didn't lose you there. >.>

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 7:49 am

I'm sure I could write a novella. However I don't have any ideas that come to mind.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm

I had fanfic ideas for YEARS, even since I was three. Most of them were poor, though some ended up being dead one with reality later on in the stories (I predicted the death of Dumbledore in the Potter series, RAB being Sirius's brother, predicted the Battle of Hogwarts, predicted Snape being an undercover agent among the Death Eaters, and predicted the assassination of a the minister (though mistakenly thought it was be Fudge) and Voldermort taking over the government.)

My first fanfic written was a Happy Feet 2 one. I did ok, and my family liked it, though my inconsiderate dad just wrote it off as "foolishness" (way to help my self-esteem Dad! :cry: ) and, even though it hurt me. I later went into a Happy Feet 3. However, this idea kinda got thwarted when they really came out with an actual Happy Feet 2 and I've since pretty much stopped writing on that. (I had had about 200 pages or more of stuff, and that with minimal margins.)

I later tried to do a Star Wars Episode VII - XII that would do a romance between Luke and Ahsoka and also involve Sidious returning, One Sith, Yuzzhan Vong, and Darth Caedus and a traitor within the Skywalker family. But taht didn't pan out and, besides, they're making Episode VII.

I later wondered what happened with Nagaina's last egg at the end of Rikki-tikki-tavi andso wrote a sequel to it (I had done so in 7th grade and won a young author's award for it, but I made a better version of it in college.) I decided to go further and did a Rikki-tikki-tavi 3 novel. And I'm working on a Rikki-tikki-tavi 4 stuff. Again, hardly anyone in my family will read it, though they have seen parts of it and think it's good.

I later rediscovered Land Before Time and decided to write a movie that would end the saga and beat the original. But that's proving harder as I keep getting better and better ideas. But after they announced that the saga was NOT dead after all and tehy are making movie 14, I started making stories 15- 25 and two more seasons of the TV Series and also a mini-series that takes place after the final movie: 25.

My family won't read that yet. (Stupid family!)

And also, I didn't like the ending of the original Fox and the Hound so I make a sequel to the original one (called 3 since there was a 2 that was a midquel) where Tod and Copper's kids become friends and start to get the two back together but a vindictive wolf stands in the way and is poisoning Tod's mind.

Also, I got the idea for a Lion King 3 (or 4, if you count 1 1/2 as 3) that invovles Shenzi Hyena coming back and trying to take over the Pride Lands from within by teaming up with the two bad apples in Zazu's family.

Also, thouhg not very far in, I did a sequel to the movie Brave where I had Merida fall in love with a member of rival clan and the clans being close to war and stuff. It won't involve bears but will involve the Loch Ness Monster at some point.

I wish my family would read my stories. However, my Dad seems to care more about the boob tube than my stories so I once tried to hide the remote and left a note saynig "Boob tube broken. Read manual to fix." and was going to put one of my stories as the "manual" but my brother came along and foiled my attempt.