Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 30 of 45 [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 45  Next

Bellator
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2015, 7:32 pm

What I found helpful for me when writing social interactions was through observing people at the park- mainly I watch for body language. Since I carry a note book I usually utilize my own observations to write up scenarios based on what I briefly saw. Over time I found my own beta readers saying that my characters interaction with each other was more fluid with each draft that I do.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2015, 7:11 am

I have no motivation for writing since years now but I have a lot of great ideas.
But it's heard for me to write about my characters having a normal conversation. It always end up being weird.
That's one of the main reasons why many of my characters have autism. It's way easier for me to write out of someones' point of view if I can understand them.
It also really helps me drawing a comic about a special situation - although most of my comics are not about a story I'm writing but some random comedy, horror or drama stuff. It still helps me improving my understanding of how to write my characters interacting in social situations.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 11:07 am

StaticWorld wrote:
I have no motivation for writing since years now but I have a lot of great ideas.
But it's heard for me to write about my characters having a normal conversation. It always end up being weird.
That's one of the main reasons why many of my characters have autism. It's way easier for me to write out of someones' point of view if I can understand them.
It also really helps me drawing a comic about a special situation - although most of my comics are not about a story I'm writing but some random comedy, horror or drama stuff. It still helps me improving my understanding of how to write my characters interacting in social situations.

Lovecraft, who was almost certainly an Aspie, had said his greatest weakness was writing dialogue.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 9:50 am

I can't decide why nobody wants to read my work. I just busted my butt writing a character profile and background story. If no one wants to read it, I might as well consider all of my effort a waste of my precious time on this planet.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 5:32 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I can't decide why nobody wants to read my work. I just busted my butt writing a character profile and background story. If no one wants to read it, I might as well consider all of my effort a waste of my precious time on this planet.

Do you have friends or family members who might read your stuff, just to be nice? If in school, are there any creative writing classes where you could present your work? Maybe, you could look for creative writing groups that sometimes meet in libraries or book stores.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 9:29 am

Hello, everyone! I'm currently working on typing out my first book [a fantasy epic], but I'm making slow progress because my motivation seems to have waned. I'm going to try to type some more today, though.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2015, 1:17 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

Even the most popular authors of today had many rejections and publishers as well as lay people don't always even bother to read what could well turn out to be a best seller or great new idea. It's objective selection. I write a fairly regular blog, spending hours on articles yet know that very few folk read them. I also have written children's fantasy. The only publisher who was interested, wanted me to pay a large unaffordable sum to be published.

We creative types need much patience and perseverance to get noticed!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 1:20 pm

^You write children's fantasy?! That's brilliant!

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

My stories centre around four children (animals), and it all starts when Vicki (an owl) and her three friends go to play hide and seek in the woods and see her father in a clearing; one of them accidentally knocks him over during the game. They see a little hut in the clearing. It begins to storm and despite her dad's protests they all enter the hut. Then her friend slips on a stray hailstone, clutching at a lever to steady herself. Suddenly they find themselves up in the sky above the trees - they have discovered Vicki's father's fantastic secret!

my blog:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 1:47 pm

^Wow! So cool! :heart:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2015, 1:50 pm

I'll have to think about posting a few sample paragraphs from the actual MS for you to enjoy!

my blog:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

^Thank you! Would you like to read some of my book? [II'm still working on typing it out, though.]

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2015, 2:06 pm

That would be nice. Whenever you are ready.

I'll post some excerpts from mine tomorrow, as it's almost my bedtime and I'll be fresher then.

On this thread I guess...

my blog:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 3:26 pm

Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rKYUv5NqlagyHHot-djx6pvnqsMvLnqFbqdXWjiszUM/edit

josephkyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2015, 2:27 pm

Hi--I've just recently rejoined the forum, because I've decided to start writing about my Aspergers and how it relates to my relationship with music. I've decided to be open and vocal and honest about who I am and what it all does to me and how I use it to survive.

To those of you that do: was it nerve-wracking the first few times you put yourself "out there" in terms of talking about yourself? Furthermore, what authors/bloggers/writers do you recommend reading for seeing excellent examples of how to write about one's issues?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 12:09 am

josephkyle wrote:
Hi--I've just recently rejoined the forum, because I've decided to start writing about my Aspergers and how it relates to my relationship with music. I've decided to be open and vocal and honest about who I am and what it all does to me and how I use it to survive.

To those of you that do: was it nerve-wracking the first few times you put yourself "out there" in terms of talking about yourself? Furthermore, what authors/bloggers/writers do you recommend reading for seeing excellent examples of how to write about one's issues?

I've never had any problem about my Asperger's since my diagnosis. Then again, I was already in my forties by that time, and so am probably more secure with myself. That, and I feel it explains away my general weirdness and awkwardness people often pick up on. More often than not, the subject comes up if I have to explain my daughter's autism, or autism in general comes up in conversations.