Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2006, 6:48 pm

This thread is a tribute to my favorite comedian/social commentator.

Like Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison and Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks spoke his truth. He didn't just do jokes that the audience wanted to hear. He didn't hide behind evasions or excuses -- if he thought something was wrong (the War on Drugs, the Persian Gulf War), he said so and he meant it. He had the courage during the 1980's to come on stage and say things like, "I do drugs and I smoke. I am the Surgeon General's worst f****n' nightmare." He wasn't afraid to be unliked. He had confidence in his thoughts and opinions and the self-confidence to express them in a way that got people laughing and thinking.

As with Jimi Hendrix, Bill Hicks is more popular in death than in life. Rykodisc sold 750,000 copies of his CD's last year. There is a movie in the works about his life. His DVD, Sane Man came out late last year to critical raves. Two books have been written about him: American Scream by Cynthia True and Agent of Evolution by his friend, Kevin Booth.

Despite his bouts of cynicism, Bill believed in evolution. He believed that we could feed the hungry, clothe and shelter the naked, and progress to the point of "exploring space in peace, forever." He believed that psychedelic drugs opened windows not only to the soul but the cosmos as well.

For all those reasons--and so many more--Bill Hicks is one of my heroes.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 7:11 pm

Shame he kept telling the same joke again and again and again and again....

But yes he is very amusing.

Those classic moments such as..."your children are not special" "the elephant is dead" It would of been great if he was around now theres just so much material for a comedian at the moment.

The best are these old shows he did were he would end up verbally and sometimes physically assualting his audience very funny stuff.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2006, 7:38 pm

Laz wrote:
Shame he kept telling the same joke again and again and again and again.....

"Everything that can be said has been said, but we have to say it again because no one was listening."--Andre Gide

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2006, 2:03 am

great thread, great man.

i just got through reading that cynthia true book last year. also i downloaded the mp3's of that show where he turns on a woman in the audience.

i wish more comedians were like him. they're all too cheerful in the most part

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

yes i know im bringing back to life a thread 5 years old. i was just wondering if any bill hicks fans have watched or plan to watch the new documentary about him called "American The Bill Hicks Story". if you have, what did you think of it? if you havent, well why the f**k not? i bought it and have watched it and its absolutely amazing and very well-done. if you are a fan of his comedy, you will love this documentary and learn even more about this man, this legend, this under-appreciated preacher of the truth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUvt81gH9c[/youtube]

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

It was an amazing documentary. I just wish more comedians had been able to weigh in on Bill.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 8:38 am

Bill Hicks and George Carlin are my favourite comedians.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdKpR9qNtg[/youtube]

Phlegm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

thewrll wrote:
It was an amazing documentary. I just wish more comedians had been able to weigh in on Bill.

Great use of animation in it too.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

He's alright. Nothing special.

I'm not big on Carlin, either, and I hate Pryor.