Does anyone else not like or, get poetry?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2010, 9:07 pm

For some reason I have not been able to get into poetry. Is this something that has to do with AS? I personally like literary works that are descriptive (especially when it comes to a sense of place). I feel that poetry does not offer this form of decription.

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

For me, it's the style; I like Emily Dickenson only. I've tried getting into modern poetry and gotten a whole lot of "ehh" from it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

passionatebach wrote:
For some reason I have not been able to get into poetry. Is this something that has to do with AS? I personally like literary works that are descriptive (especially when it comes to a sense of place). I feel that poetry does not offer this form of decription.

I like poems that rhyme because I like the patterns.

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2010, 10:04 pm

Chronos wrote:
I like poems that rhyme because I like the patterns.

Me too :). Non-rhyming poetry can be good ... but it doesn't sound like real poetry to me, just flowery prose.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm

I don't mind epic poems - one's that tell a grand story in grand language.

I have read Milton's Paradise Lost, for example, and the poetic language can help create a sense of big things happening. I also like some of Shakespeare poetry in his plays.

Gerard Manly Hopkins can be interesting because he likes the sounds of words, such as triple alliterations ("dapple-dawn-drawn"). Not sure what the words mean, half the time.

I also like Keats "To Autumn". I pick Hopkins and Keats because I remember them from high school.

But I don't sit down with poetry books and read them, except the once with Paradise Lost. I tend to get frustrated because I have to read poetry more slowly than prose, so I get impatient.

I am interested in medieval epics, like Beowulf. And I feel like I should sit down and read the Canterbury Tales, because I do like Middle and Old English.

Oh, and I do like humorous poetry, like Ogden Nash.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:47 am

I have trouble getting some poetry. I'm more of a visual person so I prefer visual descriptions. A bunch of odd words strung together doesn't have as much emotional impact on me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 1:25 am

i admire folk who are sufficiently clever to string together words that both rhyme as well as having something to say. i wish i had such a talent.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:32 am

I used to like writing poetry during my preteen and early teen years. I have since lost interest in writing it.

I like some poetry, but sometimes it bores me. It depends solely on the subject matter, and how easily I can comprehend what's being written.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

It took me a long time to realize I am NOT poetry blind. I thought for years I had poetry tone deafness because the standard school stuff mostly totally turned me off. I once started laughing when a friend started reading out what he thought wass a great moving poenm - I thought it was a joke till I figured out his facial expression.

Then ONCE I met a poet [former student of mine] - official card carrying publkished poet whose stuff seemed to be saying something.. Later figured out he was somewher in Aspie-land.

I have now figured out - there are differenbt kinds of poetry for different mindsets; most of the OFFICIAL stuff come from just one kind of mind. But there are poetries out there I DO get.

Eventually you may meet soime. It is like finding a friend who gets you. Few and far between, but they existr.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Aug 2010, 2:03 pm

I love poetry...I write poetry when I get around to it.

To be honest, you can rarely ever "get" a poem in its entirety as what it means to the author. However good poetry does not sound like something written by aliens speaking english. The goal of a poet in my mind is comunicate with the reader in a way that creates the poem within the reader. How that reader interpets it...depends from person to person.

but it is all about creating that image, message, and/or emotion within the reader. The best poetry does all three.
I have managed that a few times, but it usually a spark of the divine that assists me.

so to answer your question...most poetry, I dont get entirely, but enjoy some neverless.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

ohh and when I do "get" a poem...the bond that creates with the author is incredible

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

I used to love short, humorous, rhyming poems when I was younger: limericks and clerihews, and stuff by Ogden Nash and Hilaire Belloc. I've forgotten them all now. As I got older I lost interest in poetry pretty much. I find I don't seem to get much "grown-up" poetry.

I told myself the other day I was going to learn Ozymandias off by heart ("Look on my works, ye mighty and despair!"). Then I learnt it was far shorter than I expected, which was good. :)

Last edited by skysaw on 13 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 4:06 pm

LadybugQ wrote:
For me, it's the style; I like Emily Dickenson only. I've tried getting into modern poetry and gotten a whole lot of "ehh" from it.

Interestingly enough, those speculative lists of famous aspies that are dotted around the internet quite often include Emily Dickinson. Perhaps you knew that already. :)

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 5:25 pm

I don't get it at all nor like it but with some brain power I could interpret some.

:::)