Anybody here into Foreign Languages?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Voxsolemnis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2006, 7:33 pm

I am very fascinated by different languages & the study of linguistics...

I speak some French, and am fluent in Mandarin (cool language to learn)

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2006, 8:45 pm

I am but need to spend my time on my other htree A level subjects. I am fascinated by linguistics and etymology though. I did German as an AS subject (first part of A level) but of the four subjects I had it was the most time-consuming.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 1:25 am

Me too. Linguistics and etymology interests me a lot. I live in Denmark and it's fascinating to study languages of northern europe because they come from the same source: old-germanic.

I speak danish, english, german fluent, a good amount of spanish, swedish, norwegian and french. And I know words in greenlandish, russian, mandarin, japanese, italian.

I wish I could mandarin fluent, cool language, can you read and write in it too?

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2006, 8:32 pm

I'm fascinated by linguistics, particularly historical lingustics. Good old aspie systematising brains.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 7:40 pm

Yeah, languages are cool! I speak English and Spanish (my native language), and am studying French and Latin at school and German on my own.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 8:52 pm

I am currently interested in Latin

natalia
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2006, 9:32 pm

Yes, mostly euro languages so far but want to learn at least some survival Mandarin, Japanese, Hebrew,...

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 9:38 pm

I'm trying to learn Japanese currently-on my own. It's proving difficult since none of the community colleges offer it.
It would be nice to know the basics before going there.

Oops-I did study German in high school. . .which would be useless in Japan.

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2006, 2:14 am

I find it difficult to get up the nerve to speak a foreign language, but I like studying them anyway. In school I learned French (about 9 years' worth). I've taken classes in Mandarin and Irish (Gaeilge) and speak bits and pieces of about 20 other languages, Esperanto and Sanskrit and just about everything in between.

Chances are, even if I can't speak it I can recognize it well enough to tell you which dictionary you need...

Kye

15 Aug 2006, 11:41 am

Sadly I only speak English, though I would really love to learn Norweigan or Gaelic.

Metropolis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2006, 11:54 am

I speak Swedish and english

Voxsolemnis

15 Aug 2006, 8:04 pm

Wow, it is great to see all these responses... I have always suspected that one of the unique traits of AS (for many people) has been both language acquisition, as well as music (it is a language all its own, not only in the listening & performance, but in the written as well!).

I hope to hone in on my reading / writing in music

In the Mandarin, by strengths are in the spoken, but I also can read & write at a basic level. Grammatically speaking, every day spoken Mandarin Chinese is one of the easiest languages to learn (they rarely conjugate verbs... albeit the diffculty in learning the reading & writing makes up for that!)

As I say, keep on learning!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 5:59 pm

I'm learning spanish right now. Whenever I watch a movie in a different language I will put on the subtitle for the certain language. I will then stop the movie and translate it on my computer. The second time I watch the foreign movie is when I get to enjoy the movie. Also, I normally put the subtitles on spanish when watching a movie.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

AmyRose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2006, 6:30 pm

Oh yeah!! I am fluent in Spanish and American Sign Language in addition to English. I get mad when anyone says that Aspies have problems learning languages because it comes easily to me.

A mí me gusta el español más que el inglés porque es fonético. Es divertido escribir en español en DeviantArt y sorpresar la gente que no sabía que hablo el español... :lol:

Y voy a traducir ésto....¡ahora!

Translation: I like Spanish more than English because it's phonetic. It's fun to write in Spanish on DeviantArt and surprising people who didn't know that I speak Spanish... :lol:

And I'm going to translate this....now!

:P