Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 28 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 45  Next

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2015, 6:10 pm

Can't write short stories, just don't like it. Everything has to be epic :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

Gaara wrote:
Can't write short stories, just don't like it. Everything has to be epic :mrgreen:

Last year, all I did was work on short stories, but now I've gone back to a novel I had been working on, but lost when my last computer went tits up.

WizardPumpkin1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

I love writing mainly fiction and fantasy (think Harry Potter, Eragon, (*gasp*)--Twilight, or The Mortal Instruments), and I've been working on some stream-of-consciousnesses and stories on my own time, at home. I've never showed anyone any of them, but I think they're pretty cool. I actually think the title of this thread is funny--there is so much irony for a traditional Aspie to be writing about other people having a fluid conversation (without significant anxiety or confusion, at least). Yet, nearly all of my stories are based around two or more characters exploring their friendships/relationships with each other in dialogue and social settings. I personally think this is really cool; even though I myself struggle with group-oriented, subtle social interactions, I seem to be able to write about them with little strain. I wonder why this is...? Maybe I'm better at internally categorizing social interactions I see in other people, but I don't know how to mimic them on my own? I think this is an interesting distinction... :roll:

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2015, 9:06 am

Also once tried my hand at writing a story for kids but my mind went right off the rails and quickly there was plenty of swearing and violence :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm

Gaara wrote:
Also once tried my hand at writing a story for kids but my mind went right off the rails and quickly there was plenty of swearing and violence :mrgreen:

Now, that would be some children's book! :lol:

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

My book has been on hiatus for at least 9 months (probably a year, by now) specifically because I am stuck at dialogues. I am trying to find a way to explain the main characters' motivations and past and having them talk to each other seems like the only natural way to do that. But I have given up on thinking of decent introductions for people about to embark on a journey together: I am now working on reducing my main cast and having them learning about each other during their adventures. I think it makes sense that people would bond over near-death experiences while stranded in a savage land of magical beasts and I will be able to hint at the characters' personalities through their actions.

But yeah, I am still planning how that will happen. It is infuriating: I have the outline for the story in my head and I have written much of the backstory and worldbuilding that will guide me, but never appear in the story itself. And it is all because I introduced new essential characters beside the protagonist.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:18 am

Most likely no one read them because they thought it was private and you left it there by accident. They probably thought you didn't want them to read it.

Writergirl53
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

Of course an Aspie can be a writer! I am diagnosed, and have been writing for most of my life, (it was always my area of focus)! One thing that people who read my writing often comment on and find peculiar is that in my dialogue, I often come across as much more socially aware than in real life. I sometimes wonder if writing, where one can control and understand both sides of the conversation could even be helpful for creating real-world understanding. For me one problem has been that people say my characters often act a bit younger than their ages, (hopefully this is something that can be fixed in editing). I've also been told that my stream of consciousness can be a bit hard to follow, but I consider that to be a choice for me personally. A couple of other Aspies I've known have also been writers, and they were very talented. Don't give up! :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 2:32 pm

Writergirl53 wrote:
Of course an Aspie can be a writer! I am diagnosed, and have been writing for most of my life, (it was always my area of focus)! One thing that people who read my writing often comment on and find peculiar is that in my dialogue, I often come across as much more socially aware than in real life. I sometimes wonder if writing, where one can control and understand both sides of the conversation could even be helpful for creating real-world understanding. For me one problem has been that people say my characters often act a bit younger than their ages, (hopefully this is something that can be fixed in editing). I've also been told that my stream of consciousness can be a bit hard to follow, but I consider that to be a choice for me personally. A couple of other Aspies I've known have also been writers, and they were very talented. Don't give up! :)

I second that! I have an official diagnosis, and I write fiction. And just a few writers of import who were/are probable Aspies include the late H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, as well as the still living James Elroy.

bryanpaul86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2015, 12:57 pm

Getting around my difficulties with understanding people and how they interact with each other, I set my books on 'another planet'. it's like how this site is called 'wrong planet'. As an Aspie feeling like I come from a different world I created my own-and created stories about my own struggles. My website will tell you a little. I have an ebook out that is 99 cents (and free this week as of this post, this is the last day of the free promo.)

I encourage some of my fellow Aspie writers to check out my website http://www.poetbryanpaul.com Also check out this youtube video log I posted last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T25oe6JIIc&feature=youtu.be

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm

Are there many Shakespeare fans here? Surely, he is difficult to beat when it comes to writing social interaction as well as creating characters which are truly fictional people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Are there many Shakespeare fans here? Surely, he is difficult to beat when it comes to writing social interaction as well as creating characters which are truly fictional people.

I came to have a great appreciation for the Bard back in my college days. That appreciation had been reawakened with my friendship with my daughter's Godfather, as he's a great Shakespeare buff, too.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:16 am

Excellent! My favorite is Hamlet. What is yours?

I also love Christopher Marlowe and some other plays from that era, such as The Spanish Tragedy, Arden of Faversham, and The Duchess of Malfi.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 9:33 am

HighLlama wrote:

I also love Christopher Marlowe and some other plays from that era, such as The Spanish Tragedy, Arden of Faversham, and The Duchess of Malfi.

My favorite is Othello. And I find the character who is the most intriguing in that play to be Iago. Everyone trusts this guy, when he is actually a liar and master manipulator, who knows how to prey on the weaknesses of others. Ultimately, the insecure and jealous Othello walks right into Iago's web.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

My favorite is Othello. And I find the character who is the most intriguing in that play to be Iago. Everyone trusts this guy, when he is actually a liar and master manipulator, who knows how to prey on the weaknesses of others. Ultimately, the insecure and jealous Othello walks right into Iago's web.

That is a great choice. What I love about Iago, which shows Shakespeare's gift, is that much of what he says makes sense and is agreeable. It's how Iago applies his opinions toward the world which is so horrifying. Lesser writers would make someone more obviously evil, and that character would feel far less real.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:35 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

That is a great choice. What I love about Iago, which shows Shakespeare's gift, is that much of what he says makes sense and is agreeable. It's how Iago applies his opinions toward the world which is so horrifying. Lesser writers would make someone more obviously evil, and that character would feel far less real.

Shakespeare created a truly psychopathic character, centuries before the clinical definition.
But you know - Shakespeare had very likely lifted the story about Othello, Desdemona, and Iago from a preexisting play, in which Iago is crushing for Desdemona, and ends up beating her to death in her bed. This had not been the first time Shakespeare had "stolen" someone else' ideas - it had actually been common practice back in those days long before copyright laws. Shakespeare's genius was to take mediocre stories, and greatly improve on them.