Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 4:29 am

Age old question

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 5:08 am

Both - I like all of it. I even like Tony and Mike's solo albums.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 5:34 am

Steve Hackett. Everything from Nursery Cryme to Wind And Wuthering was awesome. He didn't write most of it but his presence made the band more prog.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 5:55 am

I agree that Steve was underrated.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:06 am

"Invisible Touch" with Phil Collins is usually considered to be the best Genesis album right?

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 6:13 am

Invisible Touch was by far their best selling album,, but a lot of longtime Genesis fans-particularly of the Peter Gabriel era thought it was too commercial. I liked it but not as much as the Peter Gabriel fronted albums.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:26 am

Sounds like people who say it was "too commercial" mean they like to say the less-popular albums are better to try and be different.

"That's the album everybody else liked, so I can't say it's my favorite" lol, I'm not saying you think that necessarily though.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 6:44 am

Venger wrote:
Sounds like people who say it was "too commercial" mean they like to say the less-popular albums are better to try and be different.

You might have something there. I never understood the hate for that album that a lot of Genesis fans have, when Peter Gabriel has had even more drastic changes in style and theme in his music since his days in Genesis. Gabriel also went commercial with "So" around the same time, a move which almost everyone praised him for, while Genesis was criticized.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 7:22 am

I always think I'm the only one who likes Phil, so I appreciate this opportunity to voice my opinion.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 7:58 am

My favourite stuff is the Peter Gabriel stuff and the first 2 after he left. After Steve left is where the albums start sliding in quality for me. I think the change in style was inevitable no matter who had left or stayed, the 80s saw a lot of once great bands release some absolute garbage.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 9:52 am

Duke was easily the best album from the Banks/Collins/Rutherford lineup. Side A of the self-titled album was pretty good as well. Everything else from that lineup was basically garbage and supermarket singles.

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is kind of hit or miss as well. He was never the primary songwriter (or even the primary lyricist) in Genesis so the two can't really be accurately compared.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

There are no greater shoes to fill for Phil than his own and no other meter for Peter than Peter. Therefore I do not take the poll, but musically I do like the early Genesis the most. There are really nice gems in the latter stuff too, but early stuff is more to my taste, as is the wide variety of solos the members have since done.