Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 7:24 pm

Anyone know anything about Nu Soul.

To me it all sounds like repackaging of RnB.
But to include nu Funk, elements of Hip Hop etc.

But I have to admit, I really don't know that much about it, but
would like to know more, as I play guitar and would like to write in this
style (if i like it once I understand it).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 3:49 am

I'm used to it under the moniker 'neosoul' but I do like it a lot. Particularly for me it's been Manchester UK-centered, Lenzman opened me to Children of Zeus (some familiarity with Tyler Daley from other places already) and IAMDDB, from there the flood gates of high quality material sort of opened themselves.

Aside from the first track (liquid dnb) the rest have a very Dilla flavor, and in an interview last year Tyler and Konny Kon commented that there was a particular underground radio station that had a lot to do with the tastes in hip hop taking a common direction for a lot of artists in the area.

The thing I'd add as well, proper 'neo-soul' as I'm thinking of it is 'trippy', ie. it ends up sounding like a whole bunch of people doing Flying Lotus's thing (most people seem to know him primarily from the Cartoon Network bumpers) and the Greentea Peng I have at the end of this is probably the most representative of this, the rest are more or less just 'splashed' with the influence except for IAMDDB who you could say steadily resides there.

I think what it does for me - and this especially stands out for me with Tyler, IAMDDB, LayFullStop, etc., it's just really 'salt of the earth' honest music and as if they're trying to wear the best of who they are on their sleeve through their music or even trying to extend and self-actualize through it, all of which is very close to my heart as I really like that sort of 'progressive' and 'nutritious' side of what music can be.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 10:06 pm

Modern stuff that sounds like Seventies American soul. Thats my understanding of it.

British singer Joss Stone (who was mentored by current R+B artist Angie Stone, and by the late Seventies' American "Clean Up Woman" Betty Wright) would be a good example.

Jamirigui can be mistaken for Seventies Stevie Wonder. Massive Attack is classified as "nu soul".

Alecia Keys, who sounds more like Seventies soul that current R+B, could be lumped under the rubric.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2021, 6:21 am

Wikipedia comment on the kitchen-sink-ism:

Wikipedia wrote:
Soul vs Neo Soul
Heavily based in soul music, neo soul is distinguished by a less conventional sound than its contemporary R&B counterpart, with incorporated elements ranging from funk, jazz fusion, hip hop, and African music to pop, rock, and electronic music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_soul# ... ic%20music.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2021, 10:51 pm

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 2:35 pm

yere thanks for the advice / track posts
one thing i have noticed, is that i think the nusoul genre is more inclusive than perhaps say what used to be known as US RnB

I personally like it, as it means that it has more variety and includes some music genres that aren't perceived as a bit wet / girly, as the US RnB was

I also like the fact that nusoul has a big fan base and a variety of types of fans
which include a significant amount of beautiful woman!

which i feel that some of the other genres (such as DnB, Breakbeat) tend to lack apart from one or two.
As a guitar / bass player, keyboard and drum fiddler, as well as an engineer / and music programmer
the genre is attractive to me, as it allows me to put on all caps,

I think that this genre also may be less age sensitive
as i am aware that i am growing older, and don't fit in so well trying to hang out at the bass bins with the 18 year olds.... lol end up looking like a pervert or pedo rather than a muso lol...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 8:12 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
I think that this genre also may be less age sensitive
as i am aware that i am growing older, and don't fit in so well trying to hang out at the bass bins with the 18 year olds.... lol end up looking like a pervert or pedo rather than a muso lol...

I think the only thing that holds EDM out a bit like that is late night raves - people don't really 'age' out of it, you just have fewer people in their 40's or 50's who can go till 5 or 6AM. If you go to rock concerts you'll see tons of people in their 50's carrying on like they did in their late teens and early 20's, not the most exciting image I know but I've also gone to electronic events thinking I'd be an OG and it turned out there were people there a few years older than I was who started going to these things when they were 15 and if it's earlier events and bigger names you probably see more of them - it gets back to that concert style of arrangement.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 9:53 pm

Sure, I guess the music ages with the people.
Although I have to admit, I probably wouldn't look so cool trying to hang out at a club playing trap or something.

I think that part of cult of the new, is to kind of put a stamp on it for the new generation of kids, so as to give it a cool kids thing, that the older gen don't understand.

I don't mind making EDM, as enjoy doing it. Although the days of dropping pills and going to a club to dance to 6 am
kind of gone now. The human brain and body can take only so much. but also, to experience the same over and over again, even if fun, can get boring. More into just making the music now. Don't really need to hang out with crowds.