Buying a turntable system next month.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 10:24 pm

I am making that plunge.

The thing is, I need some advice as to what to look for and what to avoid.

I am looking for a turntable and speaker system that will offer awesome sound quality, but at the same time, I do not want the sound quality to be so awesome that it gets me evicted from my apartment. Heh.

I am new to this area. So, if any of you fellow WPers have any good suggestions, I am all ears.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 5:42 pm

Speaker systems will vary of course, but I try to shoot for Studio Monitor speakers that have a very flat Frequency Response. As far as turntables go, You really can't go wrong with a Technics SL-1200. The SL-1200 is not an over expensive 'Audiophile' turntable, but it's not a cheap turntable either. It's pretty much the 'Industry Standard' DJ Turntable, and has been since the 1970's when it was introduced in 1972. --Techics stopped making them in 2010, but may resume making them again.

That being said, they can be found used, and there is a sufficient number of SL-1200 parts floating around that should one develop mechanical troubles (Highly unlikely, as it's a very heavy duty commercial turntable) replacement parts can readily be found.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:48 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
I am making that plunge.

The thing is, I need some advice as to what to look for and what to avoid.

I am looking for a turntable and speaker system that will offer awesome sound quality, but at the same time, I do not want the sound quality to be so awesome that it gets me evicted from my apartment. Heh.

I am new to this area. So, if any of you fellow WPers have any good suggestions, I am all ears.

The challenge in this space, is that the $$$$ you can spend is limitless.

I've gone into Audiophile shops and their only question is "How much $$$$$ do you want to spend?"

You can spend thousands just on wiring/cables, ffs. :roll:

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 8:07 am

I recommend a vinyl turntable.

Most modern turntables are CDJ - Computer DJ.

It's basically a pad that imitates a vinyl turntable with the same knobs and switches.

It connects to your computer by USB cable, with the tracks used being loaded onto Virtual DJ.

Vinyl is the classic turntable that can spin large vinyl discs.

I have a CDJ, but believe vinyl is more hands-on and professional imo.

Like the other user said, the SL-1200 is definitely a great choice.

And they only just recently were re-introduced to the market: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/ ... than-ever/ :D