Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Best ersatz/pseudo-/fake " Indian " pop-rock record ?
" Running Bear " - Johnny Preston 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
" Half Breed " - Cher 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
" Indian Reservation " - The Raiders 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
" Mr. Custer " - Larry Verne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
" Doctor , Lawyer , Indian Chief " - Betty Hutton 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" Wig Wam Bam " - The Sweet 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
" Indian Giver " - The 1910 Fruitgum Company 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" Indian Lake " - The Cowsills 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" Cherokee Maiden " - Merle Haggard 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" I'm An Indian , Too " - Ethel Merman 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
" Totem Tom Tom " - From the operetta ROSE MARIE 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" Your Squaw Is On The Warpath " - Loretta Lynn 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
" Navajo Tears " - Shocking Blue 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
" Indians " - Anthrax 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
" Indian Outlaw " - Tim McGraw 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:14 pm

I am listing here a WHOLE BUNCH of pop records/songs that revolve around use of that , I suppose rather phony , " Indian " woooo-woo-woooo-woo beat and/or otherwise evoke Native Americans .
Many may be seen as outrageously , if perhaps innocently , " non-PC " these days and I apologize in advance to any Indians /NatAms who are offended !
I put ones that made #1 on the Billboard pop chart first , the first 5...Sonny James recorded a country-market cover of " Running Bear " but it was pretty similar and I didn't want to split the vote ! Likewise for Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys' earlier " Cherokee Maiden " .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

I list these here since there is a poll function , but I suppose these are pretty forigen to most folks here - Really , I should find a vintage pop music/" oldies but goodies " board with a poll function - And where people have a sense of humor . Got any suggestions ?
Using a five-dollar vocabulary test word like " ersatz " here probably didn't help much either ! :P

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:20 pm

You forgot the Nineties country rock song by BR549 "Cherokee Boogie" (competed with the Boot Scootin' Boogie, and the Achy Breaky during the height of the line dance craze), and the Fifties' country song by Hank Williams "Kaw-liga" (covered decades later by Hank Williams Jr.).

Despite being old enough to remember oldies I dont know half of those songs. Most of them are fun bubble gum pop. Not pc enough by today's standards for someone to record them today, but too goofy and dumb to be actually offensive to hear even today.

I actually kinda like both "half breed", and the Raiders' "Indian Reservation" song even though many of my teen peers couldnt stand those two songs when they came out in the early Seventies.