Any other musicians out there tend to play behind the beat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fluter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

I've always had the tendency to drag/stretch beats when playing alone, and play slightly behind other players when playing chamber music. I will feel (and sound in my head) as if I am exactly aligned with the beat, but upon playback, I am a sizeable moment behind. I have to purposely play ahead of the beat by a uniform amount in order to actually align.

I've recently wondered, based on the theory of detail-rich perception in autistics, if maybe this is because I'm hearing more details and this makes time seem slower.

I was just wondering if any other musicians have any thoughts on this, or if anyone else has had a similar experience with the beat.

fluter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

PS...it's not a lack of technique.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

i don't know for sure it's because of handedness issues (i was left handed but forced to write with my right), but i can't keep a regular beat as a drummer. the rhythm accelerates or slows, or syncopates arbitrarily, & this seems to me the real rhythm, not a deviation from it. (i also have trouble hanging pictures level, etc.)

reasoning." --William Blake

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm

i don't have a good sense of time when it comes to music and that is essential for rhythm. my inner beat is dependent on external factors as well as how i internally process the music. i cannot stay in time on my own.

marching band made it easy as rhythm was simple and fully physical + visual. plus soooo much repetition 8). foot tapping alone has never done much good for me.

i'm a clarinetist so i have a bit more melodic leeway than players in the rhythmic core and have learned to hone my listening skills towards the percussion and bass to gauge myself. i'm not a natural musician...i have to think hard and work hard and rely on others with a better sense than i have.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:49 pm

as an adult my rhythmic sense is fair, but as a kid it wasn't there.