What are your music listening habits?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2018, 1:53 am

Mine vary a lot. Sometimes I just listen to music for background noise to kind of tune out my thoughts. For that purpose I don’t mind generic and inoffensive pop/indie/trap or whatever. When I’m listening to that music I barely notice the song or artist I’m listening to. Other times I have my favorite or more frequent artists. I generally pay more attention to those, but I generally don’t obsess about them. Those artists tend to be more consistent genres. Then I have music I’m obsessed with. It could be because of the music itself, the artist resonating, the genre resonating or the music fitting in with one of my special interests.

One of those obsessions for maybe a month was Tuvan throat singing/Siberian/Asian folk. I listened to it A LOT of the time. I knew it was a temporary obsession. Kind of miss it. Hope I get back into it with more moderation one day.

Because I have an on and off obsession with Judaism I recently got obsessed with Klezmer and music in Hebrew. Klezmer was pretty easy to find. Hebrew language music is a bit harder. Eventually I found some Israeli pop rock band I really got into this week. I’m already starting to get a bit tired of them. Listened to them over 100 times!

Kind of hard to find Hebrew language music. Most people tend to look for genres while I sometimes want certain languages. I’m also into Nordic music, which I tend to have an easier time with. They have way more music I enjoy. I still enjoy my Nordic favorites. Maybe I’ll still enjoy that stupid Israeli pop rock band I got into.

I’m not even pop rock or male singers a lot of the time. It just seems like my genre preferences change with other languages. I can’t really find much female Israeli singers I enjoy even though that’s my general preference. It seems like the Israeli music I got into so far leans more towards the rock side. Even though I’m not that into rock a lot of the time.

Randomosity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2018, 2:26 am

I really tend to be into folk, alternative, or indie music. I went through a phase the past few years where I really liked Mumford & Sons, though they're more along the lines of folk rock.

I listen to a local alternative rock radio station in the car so I can take a break from Top 40 songs, and I've discovered a newer band called Judah & the Lion that I'm still a little into. I've seen that they're going to be playing at a local venue, so I'm seriously considering going.

I've been using Amazon Music as a way to find new music, too. I listen to different playlists and stations to see what comes up.

I tend to listen to New Age-y/nature tracks or electronic music when I want to relax or need background noise for when I'm reading or working on something.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2018, 3:26 am

I don't really like music as background noise except occasionally if I have to drive a long way. Then I tend to listen to the same song over and over.

Normally I prefer to focus on the music properly though and I don't like anything else interfering with that so I usually listen through headphones whilst lying comfortably on the sofa. I do listen to music a lot when I am in the messroom at work as it is preferable to listening to some of the drivel that passes for conversation.

Mostly I listen to folk or folk rock or occasionally a bit of prog rock. The internet has made it easy to find new music nowadays. Back in the 1970s and early 1980s there were very few ways of getting to hear anything other than mainstream music. The town where I lived did have a good record shop though and if you wanted to listen to a few tracks from an album before you bought it they would always play some for you.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2018, 5:54 am

Sandpiper wrote:
I don't really like music as background noise except occasionally if I have to drive a long way. Then I tend to listen to the same song over and over.

That’s where we differ. I find music I listen to in the background is some generic Spotify playlists. I don’t tend to be as picky about music being boring when listening to it in the background. So it’s pretty much the least repetitive I get since I don’t really care what I listen to. I pretty much listen to that when I want to listen to something, but I don’t really care what. When I’m paying more attention to the music I’m more picky about music. So I tend to be more repetitive since I often don’t have the patience to listen to music I find boring.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:49 pm

Sandpiper wrote:

I'm with you, except I don't like music when driving, I prefer my loud exhaust.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Mar 2018, 7:37 am

I listen to music most of the time I'm on comp or if I'm playing vid games. What I listen to depends on my mood & what I can find if I'm listening to the radio. Sometimes I put on something I DLed & hadn't had a chance to listen to on as background so I can decide if I want to save & organize it on my comp. The kind of music i like varies alot between, pop, country, comedy, punk, glam rock, classic rock, soft rock, EMO, & celtic.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition